The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers

+11
Lucyc1937
plato2012
Liam
Pete Taylor
burlingtonboaby
hblewett
oldfred
Peter Brown
JDS
duffie
PLOUGHLIN
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers Empty Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Has anyone fitted cover protectors on their Merc door mirrors. Any recommendations.

I have seen these in Stainless Steel which should be better than ABS ones.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers Empty Re: Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers

Post by duffie Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:06 pm

no but they look very nice
duffie
duffie
duffie

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers Empty Re: Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers

Post by JDS Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:45 pm

I have been looking at these over the last few weeks, as on my Peugeot mirrorguards saved my mirrors on  many occasions. The mirrorgaurds were approx 10mm thick so acted as a buffer, the Merc ones are very thin but they should give some sort of protection. Pick my new van up 1st march so will make my mind up then.

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton ES LT
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:55 am

Our van was 6 months old and we were travelling north up the Romantic Road. Paused on a minor road waiting to turn left onto a major road I, sitting in the passenger seat, experienced an explosion in my left ear.

I didn't see it but an articulated lorry had turned left from the main road to the minor road and the corner of the trailer demolished the nearside mirror. The covers would not have helped then.

The most vulnerable part of the mirror is the indicator repeater and the cover won't protect that either.

I do think that the bright white covers you see about may alert an oncoming driver to his proximity to you.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:58 am

I agree the SS cover doesn't protect the indicator, and the white ABS cover might alert other drivers to the mirror projection, but I have only seen those for peugeot/fiat vans and they are a real price anyway. The SS covers will protect against hedge scrapes and the like.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:48 pm

In my earlier thread

The repeater bulb has popped out but the filament was OK as was the 'glass'. It all depends where the mirror or guard gets hit.

More recently I have had mirror to mirror contact which folded back the mirror and no damage to anything. By the time I stopped the other Peugeot (van) was gone so I presume he was also undamaged.

Regards
Fred
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:37 pm

We have the SS ones which reduced the effect of a major mirror to mirror clash with another moterhome, of all things - he didn't stop.  But I still lost the indicator lamp and the small mirror which fell off into the road.  

Since then I have lost two more indicators with no other damage - one was white van man; but I did find that the cracked outer part which I'd glued back together on the previous occasion was available on it's own for £8.  In fact all the plastic components are available for reasonable prices, unlike the Fiat/Citroen/Peugot which is one expensive unit.

The third one I must have touched on a high wall North Wales when squeezing through a very small gap at next to no speed, without realising I'd done it till later.

On the 3rd occasion I tried one from ebay.  It didn't fit, though it looked exactly the same and could only have been about 1mm out somewhere.  No amount of fiddling would make it fit, so I went back to MB and the OM one fitted perfectly.  The storeman told me they had sold over a million of them in the UK alone and that they sold 2/3 a day from their depot.  Even he reckoned they must have positioned the indicator slightly proud of the mirror body knowing it would be an 'earner' fedup
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:18 pm

I think I have mentioned this before, I had the thicker Mirror guards fitted on my last van a 09 Nuevo, the drivers mirror withstood three minor hits in three years, the last hit resulted in cracking the guard beyond repair, I replaced them with the cheaper thiner Milenco mirror guards.
I have the Milenco ones on my Sigma, fitted at SMC taplow, I will replace them for the Mirror guard ones later.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:35 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Has anyone fitted cover protectors on their Merc door mirrors. Any recommendations.

I have seen these in Stainless Steel which should be better than ABS ones.

I have a set on order, will update when they are fitted.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:17 pm

The stainless covers have arrived and look very good (not too "blingy"). I test fitted one and it seems very well shaped, took a good tug to remove it. They are fixed by a double-sided tape which is already applied to the covers, one has to clean and dry the plastic back of the mirror and then apply a primer which is supplied in a sachet, leave for 5 minutes and then fit the cover. It has to be done at min 18 degrees C, so it advises using a hair-dryer when the cover is fitted, to cure the glue.
They cannot be fitted if it is raining so, of course, I went into the house to get a cleaning cloth and when I came out it was raining! shrugg

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Sounds good. Waiting for the picture.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:45 pm

Fitted! It finally stopped raining.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Looks good, must get some now, to go with the SS grill slat covers, yet to be fitted. allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:27 am

Just had an email from Mirrorguard saying that they are in the process of trying to design and manufacture a sprinter version of their product which would appear to offer more protection. 

But of course I guess the unit cost would be higher as they would be designed to absorb impact and minimise damage to the main mirror more so than the afore mentioned covers. 

Will let the forum know if hear anything further.

Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by plato2012 Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:14 am

Great idea so just visited the ebay site and entered my vehicle details. The following warning appears:-
This item does not fit Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2014.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:07 am

Don't tell Pete Taylor, he has just fitted them to 2014 Sprinter.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:56 pm

hugegrins 
Those tables on e-bay seem to be absolute rubbish! From memory I've been told that wheels, tyres, windscreen wipers, oil filters... do not fit several of our vehicles; the latest being on Friday when a supplier (via those tables) told me that the Bosch Wiper set for our Polo would not fit, yet it was the exact Bosch code for the car! They fit perfectly.

The mirror guards fit very well. We're just back from York and Knaresboro' and have not managed to bash the mirrors on anything- so I don't know if they work!
Incidentally I noticed, when fitting them, that I already have some scratches in the clear (indicator) part of the nearside mirror, this must be from when I had to choose between some small bushes or a skip lorry. rolleyes   The "impact" of the branches sounded very minor, so I'm surprised by the scratches.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucyc1937 Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Ordered this week hoping for delivery tomorrow 'Friday' I will let you know when fitted.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:43 pm

I should contact them for commission.  allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Hhhhmmmm.... 
Well, whilst the mirror protectors are a good fit; it seems that we cannot ignore the basic laws of physics (Mr Bond). rolleyes 

The covers have been in place for a while now but the last (sunny) couple of weeks have been a bit of a test for their adhesives, due, iirc my Grammar School Physics correctly, to the co-efficient of linear expansion. The shiny metal, being in the sun and the black plastic, being in the shade, have been going their separate ways. Had I not noticed this, a few days ago, and pressed them back together, then I fear that someone might have run over one, punctured (as we cyclists were wont to say) and ended up, inverted, in a ditch, or... found one at the roadside and made a fabulous piece of art-work out of it; going on to claim fame and fortune, living-out the Picasso dream.
Plan B: I have ordered some very short stainless screws which, hopefully, I can put in place, to hold the covers, without disturbing the mysterious electrics concealed within the mirror-casing.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Fitted mine last week, together with grille bling strips, the glue strips certain grab quickly. Will keep a wary eye for any bid for independence. Maybe they are made in Scotland. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:09 pm

Ours have been on for nearly two years and seem to be as sound as when they were first put on, despite facing the risng sun every morning (on the days when the sun does shine and we're not away - which doesn't leave many  smile! hugegrins )
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 pm

hblewett wrote:Ours have been on for nearly two years and seem to be as sound as when they were first put on, despite facing the risng sun every morning (on the days when the sun does shine and we're not away - which doesn't leave many  smile! hugegrins )
Ummm- you have had the 2014 Sprinter stainless-steel mirror covers fitted for "a couple of years"? Are you sure? These things only appeared on the market about six months ago.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:42 pm

Mirrors on 2014 are same as 2006-2013 models. The covers I fitted have label Sprinter 2006>

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:02 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Mirrors on 2014 are same as 2006-2013 models. The covers I fitted have label Sprinter 2006>
Yes... but the (Chinese) stainless covers only appeared recently. As it happens I was standing next to a 2013 Sprinter today, which had totally different profile mirrors.
I'll get me anorak...

I'm, going to attach mine with tiny stainless screws (which I should have a surplus of, as they seem to only be available in 50 packs)... photos to follow... if I remember tap_fingers

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next