The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drive away awning or 2 man tent - Which?

3 posters

Go down

Drive away awning or 2 man tent - Which? Empty Drive away awning or 2 man tent - Which?

Post by RichardB Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi all
I am looking for some advice!
We have a 1999 Peugeot Boxer Harmony van conversion fitted with a Fiamma F45 awning.

The van is mainly going to be used for me and the wife but on occasions we want to be albe to take kids (both 16) with us.
There happy to go in a tent, but I am not sure if it would be better to get a 2 man tent for them or a drive away awning with a bedroom.

I can see benefits from either option and would welcome any help...

The tent option is probably my favourite at the moment - having the benefit of not weighing as much as an awning, can be used by them if they camp without us, can be left pitched on site if we take van away.  Would we have any issues at camp sites if we put up a tent next to the van (members of CCC).

The drive away awning would give us more room, but would probably only get use when we have the kids with us as we plan to do more wild camping than on sites when we are alone.   

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations for appropriate awnings or tents more than welcome...

Thanks
Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down

Drive away awning or 2 man tent - Which? Empty Re: Drive away awning or 2 man tent - Which?

Post by boxerman Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:10 pm

A two man tent, being smaller would be warmer at night and probably drier too.
In fact, if they are both 16, you'd be better off with a 3 man, tent makers are not overgenerous with their sizing.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Drive away awning or 2 man tent - Which? Empty Re: Drive away awning or 2 man tent - Which?

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:18 am

Hi Richard
Just a few thoughts: The main advantage of a drive away awning is that you can attach it to you van and effectively create a dry passage between van and tent. As you have a Fiamma F45 already fitted you can wrap the tunnel securely over the back edge of the Fiamma. A driveway awning can still be used as a standalone tent. CCC will have no objection to you putting up a tent on your pitch with your camper.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Enn Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi Richard

We went through exactly the same dilemma. We decided to go with the awning, currently an Outdoor Revolution pro carbon with a bedroom extension, although it does take a long time to pitch as there are so many pegging points although these have proved effective in strong winds.
Our son was only 10 so we wanted something a little more 'integral' to the van.

We will still use the awning this year for stays of a week or more but are looking at tents now for shorter stays and weekends, much quicker to put up/take down, and much easier to drive away from without anything to detach.

If I was you - go for the tent option if just required for sleeping, go for an awning if you require more communal day time room.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardB Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks all - I think the tent is probably going to be the way we go.
Just looking on the web now to see what there is in the way of 3 man tents that would be ok.
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down