The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Drive Away Awning?

+3
Paulmold
stevomar
chriswilly
7 posters

Go down

Which Drive Away Awning? Empty Which Drive Away Awning?

Post by chriswilly Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:10 am

Hello All wave ,

I've been on the hunt for a drive away awning, and i'm struggling to find reviews on the ones i fancy . I'm looking at the Khyam Motordome Classic (quick erect) and the Khyam driveaway Compact 300 (pole and sleeve), i like the idea of the quick erect system on the classic but don't like the price so_sad .

I was just wondering if any AS owners have either one of these and could give me a quick review.

Thank you,

chris up!

chriswilly
chriswilly

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Which Drive Away Awning? Empty Re: Which Drive Away Awning?

Post by stevomar Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:50 am

Hi Chris
Have a look here
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=65502
for some opinions and more links.
Cheers
Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:32 am

I am also looking into this type and I particularly wanted to know more about the Compact 200 because I cannot find the maximum gutter height of the tunnel in any sizing measurement details. I emailed Khyam 2 weeks ago and so far have not had a reply. Don't think much of companies that do not reply, makes you wonder about after-sales service.

Last edited by Paulmold on Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:26 am

Hi again Chris
This link might give you some more ideas

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113203

Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Which Drive Away Awning? Empty hi chriswilly/paulmold

Post by bedford1984 Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:34 am

if you look at the kyham motordome awning where it says height that is the gutter height as i have just looked at 2 and one was 240cm's and the other 205cm's this can only be the tunnel height hope this helps.try looking at movilight they seem to be cheaper and you can strap them over your van which is easier as getting the position just right for the tunnel to be tight is a nightmare if fixed to a gutter channel.happy hunting.
up! john
bedford1984
bedford1984

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : bedford cf 250

Back to top Go down

Post by chriswilly Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:36 am

Paulmold wrote:I am also looking into this type and I particularly wanted to know more about the Classic 200 because I cannot find the maximum gutter height of the tunnel in any sizing measurement details. I emailed Khyam 2 weeks ago and so far have not had a reply. Don't think much of companies that do not reply, makes you wonder about after-sales service.

hi paul,

all the khyams motordomes awnings have a fixing ht. from 1.7 to 2.25 (gusset length 5.95m) with the exeption of the excelsior which is 2.25 to 2.8 (gusset length 7.05m). As i understand it goes by the total length of the edge on the tunnel (the gusset), e.g. if my awning rail ht. was 1.8m i would have 2.35 m of span above my sliding door 5.95m(gusset l/th) - 1.8m (left) - 1.8m(right )= 2.35m (span). so the taller your van the smaller your span which could affect your sliding door clearance.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=791

and click on the link 'will this awning fit my vehicle?' (this may explain it better)

hope this helps.

Have you had any experience of the quick erect system?

regards,

chris.

chriswilly
chriswilly

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chriswilly Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:39 am

bedford1984 wrote:if you look at the kyham motordome awning where it says height that is the gutter height as i have just looked at 2 and one was 240cm's and the other 205cm's this can only be the tunnel height hope this helps.try looking at movilight they seem to be cheaper and you can strap them over your van which is easier as getting the position just right for the tunnel to be tight is a nightmare if fixed to a gutter channel.happy hunting.
up! john

cheers John , will check them out.

chris
chriswilly
chriswilly

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:52 pm

I was looking at the Compact 200 because someone on ebay was selling new at £69.95 which seemed extremely good for a Khyam. Thanks for the measurement info, I'll check mine out and see which models may fit. (I find a small dome tent sufficient for our needs but SWMBO likes the idea of being able to leave the van door open without the rain coming in)
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Woodys Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:16 am

When we bought Humpfrey he came with a khyam motordome classic awning. It was very easy to erect and had plenty of space inside. However we felt it was just too big for us so we sold it on ebay ( very quickly ) and bought a smaller one instead. :)

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:47 am

The Woodys wrote:When we bought Humpfrey he came with a khyam motordome classic awning. It was very easy to erect and had plenty of space inside. However we felt it was just too big for us so we sold it on ebay ( very quickly ) and bought a smaller one instead. :)

Which did you buy and does it clear the sliding door?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingon Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:16 pm

I have had the Kyam excelsior -poor build quality and difficult to erect when windy,and huge -but ok for a T4 with a fiamma attached , horrible blue and grey -so depressing.
Then I got a move light square- put it up in the garden, much smaller but so dull when you are inside- I gave that one away with the T4 but I would not have replaced it, I think the nicest one is the one I have now but I never use it as it is too much trouble for me to put it up,though it was the easiest for me to put up on my own- it is a drive away, and a light colour, feels nice and airy has a decent porch length and fits over the fiamma awning on a trident easily I would recommend it if I could remember what it was called but I can't remember just now, I will find out if any one really want's to know tomorrow. smile!
Ramblingon
Ramblingon
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Woodys Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Paulmold wrote:
The Woodys wrote:When we bought Humpfrey he came with a khyam motordome classic awning. It was very easy to erect and had plenty of space inside. However we felt it was just too big for us so we sold it on ebay ( very quickly ) and bought a smaller one instead. :)

Which did you buy and does it clear the sliding door?

Sorry for the delay in replying Paul. We have got the Riviera 240. Looks the right size for us but I will let you know about it clearing the door when we put it up on Sunday! Whistle1
The Woodys
The Woodys

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

Back to top Go down

Which Drive Away Awning? Empty Pop up Awning

Post by willenhall12 Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:57 pm

We bought a RV Room from Riversway Leisure (they have a sale on them now). We have not had a chance to use it yet but erected it in the garden when it arrived, it is a very good size, very sturdy and very easy to erect and put back down as it is a "pop up" style. The bonus is that it comes with an inner tent and has a full groundsheet attached too and has £100 off it in the sale. Over the years, we have used a few styles of awning on the caravans we owned before getting the Duetto and are very impressed with the quality of the RV Room. hugegrins
willenhall12
willenhall12

Auto-Sleeper : Ford Duetto

Back to top Go down