The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dash Cam In Car Recorder

+22
chrisvesey
inspiredron
Backtrax
Spospe
Traficlady
meanchris
Peter Brown
mikethebike
owl10
Sookey
mikejack
journeyman
Wingrider8368
gj1023
modelman
ian
-mojo-
boxerman
Dutto
Paulmold
peugeotboxer
CC
26 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Dash Cam In Car Recorder - Page 6 Empty Why you need a dashcam.

Post by boxerman Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:48 pm

On our way to Block & Quayles establishment today:

What isn't noticable is how sharply I had to brake, the poor guy behind almost rammed into the back of me. Fortunately he saw enough to know it wasn't my fault.
She never even looked my way! didn't stop, just carried on as if nothing had happened.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Dash Cam In Car Recorder - Page 6 Empty Re: Dash Cam In Car Recorder

Post by mikejack Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Sorry Frank missed your pm the other day here are 2 shots of where mine is located and a short video clip. It picks up my mirror bracket bottom left of the video but i like the cam in this position as its out the way.
Dash Cam In Car Recorder - Page 6 20140610
Dash Cam In Car Recorder - Page 6 20140611

Mike
mikejack
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks Mike  up!  needless to say, mine's on order  snigger 

Frank

PS recognised the Lytham "aire". did you stop?
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikejack Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Yes we go up there quite a lot with it being local as the missus only finishes work at 7pm so its handy for the weekend 45minutes up the motorway.

Mike
mikejack
mikejack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Have you tried viewing your files in Registrator Viewer? http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

Interesting bit of software and FREE  content 

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:15 pm

There is a dash cam advertised in the Caravan Club mag which says it records 8 hours on a 32 gb card, which I thought was useful information.

My dash cam records in shortish segments, about 10-15 mintues by the look of it.

I've had trouble finding a suitable place for it in the van. It hangs down from the sucker so, if I put it on the dashboard, the wipers take up nearly half the picture. I looked at the settings and you can turn it upside down but, when I connected it to the computer, the recording was upside down too. I raised it up a few inches up the windscreen and I think it's not bad there. I only got back home at lunchtime today after a fortnight so haven't connected it to the computer yet.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Traficlady wrote:There is a dash cam advertised in the Caravan Club mag which says it records 8 hours on a 32 gb card, which I thought was useful information.
That's going to be pretty low resolution, I think the Mobius does about 3.5 hours on a 32gb card @ 1080p highest res.
Have you got the make & model - price would be interesting too.

My dash cam records in shortish segments, about 10-15 mintues by the look of it.
Can you not alter it? mine's on 3 minutes

I've had trouble finding a suitable place for it in the van. It hangs down from the sucker so, if I put it on the dashboard, the wipers take up nearly half the picture. I looked at the settings and you can turn it upside down but, when I connected it to the computer, the recording was upside down too. I raised it up a few inches up the windscreen and I think it's not bad there. I only got back home at lunchtime today after a fortnight so haven't connected it to the computer yet.

Nora
That's one of the trickiest bits, figuring out where to mount it. Up near the rear view mirror seems favourite but I like mine on the top of the dash.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Just out of interest, you may like to know that Which? is going to review dash cameras in their August 2014 issue. I have no idea at all at this time which models, or what the recommendations / best buys will be.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Prefer to trust Techmoan.
I used to get "Which" but fell out with it. Many moons ago they ran a test of 125cc motorcycles tested by people who weren't motorcyclists (car drivers with Provisional bike licence"built in"). The results were laughable as the testers didn't know anything about the things they were testing.

I thought that if this is an example of their testing regime, I'd rather trust my own judgement or that of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:29 pm

New Mini 0803 dashcam arrived today  smile!  I had thought about mounting it where the Mobius is but the angle of view is so much greater than the Mobius that there was too much of the van's dash showing. I mounted it on the windscreen, almost behind the mirror, with just the bottom half showing. The angle of view takes in almost the full width of the screen. There is quite a bit of reflection from the screen, don't know that I can do anything about that  scratch head 

The video quality is very good, perhaps as good as the Mobius. haven't tried the 1296P, just the 1080P which is plenty good enough. One thing it has over the Mobius is that the clips run together seamlessly, the Mobius repeats a frame or two at the start of each new clip. (better than missing frames out though).

Been to the hospital and back today so I've been running the files on Registrator Viewer. I originally set the clip length to 1 minute but I've now set it to 3. The writing on the setup menu is very small and I haven't worked out how you calibrate the G sensor yet. Haven't bothered with the lane departure warning. Not overkeen on the squawks it makes - can't call them bleeps  biggrin 
The GPS seems to be very accurate as far as positioning but not too good for speed. On a couple of occasions where I'm obviously stopped, its showing a speed of 1 or 2 mph.

Looked at the supplied software but decided I preferred Registrator Viewer so deleted it from the card.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Boxerman, my Mini 0803 dashcam arrived yesterday also. This is my first dash cam so currently playing about with it on bench whilst watching techomoan demo of it. Am interested about your tips positioning. I had thought in my 2010 Peugeot Boxer that it would be high enough if on the windscreen just above the dash level.
Re 1 to 2 mph when stopped. We also have a GPS detector which we use on an pc running Autoroute. It also 'wanders' a bit whilst stationary and this would manifest itself as a low speed.
Where do you get registrator viewer to see the video's?
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Backtrax wrote:
Where do you get registrator viewer to see the video's?
Try Google! It is the first hit!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:47 pm

The Mobius was on the dash top, as here:
Dash Cam In Car Recorder - Page 6 P7020611

But as I said, in this position, the wider angle of view of the 0803 took in too much of the dash top.
This is where I decided to put it. (waiting for the arrival of some stick-back cable clips to tidy things up) Not in my normal line of sight but I can see it if I look at it IYSWIM?
Dash Cam In Car Recorder - Page 6 P7020610

This gives you an idea of the camera view fom this position:
Dash Cam In Car Recorder - Page 6 Angle_10

HTH
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Thx Frank.
Will give the higher position behind mirror a go

Ken
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:10 am

hi,
I fit mine on the right hand side of the scree about six inches up from dash, the wipers are not visible there, seems OK and not so far to fall if it drops off. Mine was £36 from e prance and is moved between my three vehicles,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:04 am

mikejack wrote:Sorry Frank missed your pm the other day here are 2 shots of where mine is located and a short video clip. It picks up my mirror bracket bottom left of the video but i like the cam in this position as its out the way.
Dash Cam In Car Recorder - Page 6 20140610
Dash Cam In Car Recorder - Page 6 20140611

Mike

Mike,

Recognise the footage!  Lytham St. Annes??

We were there on the 11th June when they were putting up the fence round the building site on the left as you turn into the parking place.

Best regards,
 drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:29 am

Frank, re Mobius Mini 0803 dash cam - I have a couple of problems.
1. I have selected the mic to be muted (Red diagomal line across the mic icon), but when making recordings in this state the mic is still active.
For comparison I have done recordings with the red diagonal line 'off' and still the mic is active.

2. When I attach the cam to a pc USB port (Win XP os), Win Explorer shows 2 'removable disk drives' are created. The first cannot be accessed, the second contains the cam folders and any files (recorded pics or videos).
On the cam the screen shows 'USB connecting' and none of the control buttons are active.

When repeating all above on another pc, running Win 7 os, the same thing happens except there is only 1 'removable disk' visible in Explorer which contains the cam folders & files.

Further info, the cam menu screen shows the software version to be FW20140510
v1.0

When I transfer the file to pc and use Registrator Viewer the file is good and that software is excellent.

Is anyone else having the problems described above?
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikejack Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:50 pm

Must have just missed you Ian that was Friday 13th June. Only used my cam on windows 8 so can't comment on the 2 folders but have noticed the microphone bug and i think techmoan mentions it on his review. The software is very good but you need a good pc to play it back or its all jumpy.

Mike
mikejack
mikejack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:35 pm

Backtrax wrote:Frank, re Mobius Mini 0803 dash cam - I have a couple of problems.
1. I have selected the mic to be muted (Red diagomal line across the mic icon), but when making recordings in this state the mic is still active.
For comparison I have done recordings with the red diagonal line 'off' and still the mic is active.
A known issue in the firmware

2. When I attach the cam to a pc USB port (Win XP os), Win Explorer shows 2 'removable disk drives' are created. The first cannot be accessed, the second contains the cam folders and any files (recorded pics or videos).
On the cam the screen shows 'USB connecting' and none of the control buttons are active.

When repeating all above on another pc, running Win 7 os, the same thing happens except there is only 1 'removable disk' visible in Explorer which contains the cam folders & files.
Mine does that, only one removable disc (win7)  never thought about using the buttons. I think that you can use the menus ect. on the TV if you connect via HDMI lead rather than USB.

Further info, the cam menu screen shows the software version to be FW20140510
v1.0
I think thats the latest firmware.

When I transfer the file to pc and use Registrator Viewer the file is good and that software is excellent.

Is anyone else having the problems described above?
Well yes  smile! if you look at Dashcam Talk website there's quite a bit about the glitches which have yet to be ironed out.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:37 pm

boxerman wrote:
Traficlady wrote:There is a dash cam advertised in the Caravan Club mag which says it records 8 hours on a 32 gb card, which I thought was useful information.
That's going to be pretty low resolution, I think the Mobius does about 3.5 hours on a 32gb card @ 1080p highest res.
Have you got the make & model - price would be interesting too.
Found it at last! It wasn't the CC mag, it was July's MMM. It's a Snooper DVR-2HD. I got it all wrong anyway, it says 8.5 - 10 hours on a 16gb card, not 32gb, and resolution 1280 x 720. Very expensive though - anything up to about £170 depending on where you buy it.

Nora
Traficlady

Female

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:52 pm

I've no doubt that it has good build quality but you're paying a lot for it and the video is only 720p so it isn't cutting edge technology.

I'm also a bit puzzled by their claim of 8 - 10 hours on a 16gb card, that works out at only around 4 megabits per second (= 9.1 hours according to the online caculator). Compare that to 18.4 for the Mobius @1080p (2hrs on a 16gb card) and 16.4 for 720p (2.2hrs on a 16gb card) so the Mobuis is using 4 times as much storage memory for the same resolution? (the Mini 0803 uses 15 mbps at 1080P 2.4hrs on a 16gb card).

So far I'm very happy with the 0803 and it seems to do all the things the Snooper does at less than half the money.

Frank

Last edited by boxerman on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : zpelink)
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:19 pm

Frank
I reported to JooVuu my 2 issues with the Mobius 0803 (Audio mute not working & Connex to PC freezing camera buttons)
They sent reply as follows:
This sounds like a firmware problem - hopefully a simple re-install of firmware will solve the above problems. Go to here: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0803-firmware-20140510v1.5399/ 

Have you moved up from v1.0 to this?

Also I have found as a workaround that if you press up button for mute then again for unmute then again for mute, this results in the microphone being switched off.

Ken
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi Ken
Backtrax wrote:Frank
I reported my 2 issues with the Mobius 0803 (Audio mute not working & Connex to PC freezing camera buttons)
As far as I am aware, the buttons are not supposed to work when connected by USB unless perhaps you have the USB mode in the menus set to "USB camera". If you want to view your footage  on the telly /computer, I think you need to use HDMI or AV leads.

They sent reply as follows:
This sounds like a firmware problem - hopefully a simple re-install of firmware will solve the above problems. Go to here: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0803-firmware-20140510v1.5399/ 

Have you moved up from v1.0 to this?
I haven't up or downgraded the firmware on mine, it is as received. (Haven't even checked to see what version it is)

Also I have found as a workaround that if you press up button for mute then again for unmute then again for mute, this results in the microphone being switched off.
Ken
It's not something that I'm bothered about, I've just left the sound on. I may turn it off in the future though.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Which? have just tested cameras (my copy came today) and the best buy is a NextBase In-Car Cam 402G Professional, costing around £140
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by gj1023 Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:58 pm

. I started off with the usual cheapie one and have just bought one that got 5 stars and best buy in Auto Express..  http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/85715/transcend-drivepro-200

Last edited by gj1023 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
gj1023
gj1023

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next