The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dash cam position in Sigma

+4
ChrisP28
Paramedic
inspiredron
gary humphries
8 posters

Go down

Dash cam position in Sigma Empty Dash cam position in Sigma

Post by gary humphries 6th December 2017, 22:16

Hi all ,I am hoping that Santa may bring me a dash cam for our sigma, my question is where would be the best position for mounting it , as putting behind mirror could be not the best place with Luton cab,! I did think about mounting behind the fold up clip board type thing, all suggestions greatly appreciated.
gary humphries
gary humphries

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Dash cam position in Sigma Empty Re: Dash cam position in Sigma

Post by inspiredron 7th December 2017, 00:51

Not sure why the Luton is aproblem. Behind the mirror works for me. You ought not to be able to see the display but you do want to be able to reach the protect file button for that ****# who cuts you up. With the luton you may miss the aircraft but you will also get less glare.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic 7th December 2017, 07:12

What I remember from the instructions to our sat nav was in order for the GPS to function properly, it had to be mounted to 'see the sky' Recall periods when the signal was interrupted probably due to the Luton cab on our previous Broadway.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by gary humphries 7th December 2017, 07:21

Thanks,Paramedic and Inspiredron for promt reply will go for behind mirror and take a chance on no low flying planes!
Merry Christmas enjoy you touring, Gary
gary humphries
gary humphries

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisP28 7th December 2017, 08:03

Perhaps somebody here could put me straight. Is it legal to have a live "TV Screen" rear view camera or a head-up display operating when driving on UK roads?
We have a rear view mirror fitted as standard in the Peugeot. I gives a cracking view of the bedroom door. A constant rear view camera would be great.
CP
ChrisP28
ChrisP28

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium RB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic 7th December 2017, 08:09

Apologies if stating the obvious, but (like ours) have you a reversing camera that has the option of continuous display when driving?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisP28 7th December 2017, 08:12

Hi Paramedic,
Yes we have the one where the Satnav works as the screen.
ChrisP28
ChrisP28

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium RB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron 7th December 2017, 13:24

ChrisP28 wrote:Perhaps somebody here could put me straight. Is it legal to have a live "TV Screen" rear view camera or a head-up display operating when driving on UK roads?
We have a rear view mirror fitted as standard in the Peugeot. I gives a cracking view of the bedroom door. A constant rear view camera would be great.
CP
Perfectly legal to have a satnav or a rear view camera.  Either should be mounted out of the forbidden area immediately in front of the driver and incorrect mounting will fail MOT.
I always used my satnav without problems on a previous Luton'ed Hymer but it was low down.
Perhaps the OP should try the gps on the dashcam using a sucton pad fitting (or perhaps SWMBO would hold it while you go for a spin) before using the glued attachment.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady 7th December 2017, 17:11

We have a dash cam which sits behind the rear view mirror and is directed at the road in front. What’s the point of having one facing the sky?! 

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic 7th December 2017, 20:07

Traficlady wrote:We have a dash cam which sits behind the rear view mirror and is directed at the road in front. What’s the point of having one facing the sky?! 

Nora
Hi Nora, we have the Snooper DVR-1 HD MINI that would normally have a permanent fix to the windscreen. This fixture is the GPS receiver that provides real time Google maps, therefore it needs uninterrupted view of the sky to pick up the signal. Of course the camera is pointing on the road ahead. Being very small (mini) it doesn't have a monitor so images are later downloaded onto computer to reveal videos and aside is the rolling maps much like a Sat nav. We decided to fix Velcro to the sticky mount then the same on windscreen so as to be able to remove and use in the car by the same method.
Regards.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner 7th December 2017, 21:02

gary humphries wrote:Hi all ,I am hoping that Santa may bring me a dash cam for our sigma, my question is where would be the best position for mounting it , as putting behind mirror could be not the best place with Luton cab,! I did think about mounting behind the fold up clip board type thing, all suggestions greatly appreciated.
I have a Nextbase 312GW and use the optional (foc) self adhesive mount instead of the suction mount
I’ve used a piece of plastic number plate material to make a fixing position for the dash cam clamped firmly in position by the sun visor mount
With the camera in position the Remis blinds can be used without removing the camera,
the higher mounting position gives a better view and without any bad reflections in the lens.

The photos were taken before sticking the self adhesive mount in position, I can still use the camera in the car using the standard suction mount.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady 8th December 2017, 04:44

Paramedic wrote:
Traficlady wrote:We have a dash cam which sits behind the rear view mirror and is directed at the road in front. What’s the point of having one facing the sky?! 

Nora
Hi Nora, we have the Snooper DVR-1 HD MINI that would normally have a permanent fix to the windscreen. This fixture is the GPS receiver that provides real time Google maps, therefore it needs uninterrupted view of the sky to pick up the signal. Of course the camera is pointing on the road ahead. Being very small (mini) it doesn't have a monitor so images are later downloaded onto computer to reveal videos and aside is the rolling maps much like a Sat nav. We decided to fix Velcro to the sticky mount then the same on windscreen so as to be able to remove and use in the car by the same method.
Regards.
Thanks. Never seen one like that. I understand now

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog 8th December 2017, 15:53

We have our nextbase 512GW mounted centre of dash using the smaller stick on base, the 512gw can be reversed so it works upside down which is ideal. No dangling cables and unlike mounting it on the screen you can still pull the blinds shut without removing it.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Dash cam position in Sigma Empty Re:- Dash cam

Post by sapper997 9th December 2017, 16:37

groundhog wrote:We have our nextbase 512GW mounted centre of dash using the smaller stick on base, the 512gw can be reversed so it works upside down which is ideal. No dangling cables and unlike mounting it on the screen you can still pull the blinds shut without removing it.

I have the Ring hd1080 mounted exactly the same with the suction cup stuck to a small Perspex disc
 which I have fixed to the dash. I have routed the wiring through a length of " convoluted " rubber tubing
 of the type used on oven shelves to prevent burning your hands,  and this tucks in and holds nicely along
 the base of the windscreen  allthumbz

Ray
sapper997
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

Back to top Go down

Dash cam position in Sigma Empty Above screen mounting option

Post by spanner 11th December 2017, 21:56