The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why no mobile?

+4
peugeotboxer
Shubberdog
-mojo-
Bilyco
8 posters

Go down

Why no mobile? Empty Why no mobile?

Post by Bilyco Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:19 pm

Why is it when being asked in a store for your mobile phone number get looked at as if you need carting away by men in white coats when you say you don't have on? Also when trying to buy something or subscribing to something online if you don't fill in the mobile phone no. box you cannot proceed?
Is it going to be statutory to have one grafted on to you at birth in future? Not got one - don't want one.
Bilyco
Bilyco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Symphony

Back to top Go down

Why no mobile? Empty Re: Why no mobile?

Post by -mojo- Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:47 am

I resisted for many years, but the fact is that there are a few situations where a mobile phone is ~incredibly~ useful.

For example, if you break down miles from anywhere. Or if you agree to meet someone in - say - a shopping centre, and there has been a minor misunderstanding about exactly where.

Finding and using a BT payphone is no longer a viable cheap alternative. Last time I looked, the minimum call charge was £1.20, and many don't take coins any more.

My mobile phone (on PAYG and Ikea Family) is cheaper to use than my home BT landline ~all the time~! It costs just 4p per text and 8p per minute for normal calls, so once I've paid £50 for a cheap Nokia handset, my bills from then on are less than £20/year!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Shubberdog Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 am

I think the time has now come when not having a  mobile phone is not an option as even if you can find a phone box it probably won't work. For the last year my wife and I have been with Vodafone paying 10.50 a month each, they have now decided to put it up to 15.50 and seem quite unable to understand why I cancelled the contacts. I have now joined GiffGaf and now pay 5.00 a month each 
 up!
Shubberdog
Shubberdog

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman+Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Bilyco wrote: Also when trying to buy something or subscribing to something online if you don't fill in the mobile phone no. box you cannot proceed?

Put a series of zeros in the box............you will then be able to proceed allthumbz 

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi wave 

Shubberdog wrote:I think the time has now come when not having a  mobile phone is not an option

The National Trust car park at Harting Down near Chichester used to have a pay and display machine. It's out in the sticks in the middle of the South Downs. Now there is a notice saying you have to "pay by phone". No phone and you can't park there so angry 

Just be add insult to injury as you walk along the footpaths are there any nice notices telling you what's going on? No! there is a bar code for you to scan with your phone so you can look it up on the web!! Not only do you have to have a phone but you have to have a smart phone. so angry  so angry  so angry 

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Why no mobile? Empty Re - Why no mobile

Post by Bilyco Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks for replies but I seem to manage without so will carry on. If these places don't want my money then - tough! I also wonder what people talk about when they meet when they are texting each other all day? Ha!
Bilyco
Bilyco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:01 pm

That's it I am cancelling my subscription to the National Trust, that is absurd!!confused3
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Bilyco wrote:............Is it going to be statutory to have one grafted on to you at birth in future?.........................................

I thought it already was for people born after 1995!  Well that's what I assumed going by the local young population.smile!

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Sold -

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi there,

I rather admire the kids of today; especially their multi-tasking skills!up! 

Yesterday I saw a little lass, aged about seven, composing a text on her phone as she cycled at about ten miles an hour along a roadside path way out in the country!allthumbz 

So much for the "Too dumb to walk and chew gum at the same time." condemnation of the fairer sex!!Whistle1 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down