The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mobile Phones

+7
Shuggiegreen
repoort
rogerblack
Jaytee
Cymro
daisy mae
GaryH61
11 posters

Go down

Mobile Phones  Empty Mobile Phones

Post by GaryH61 10/2/2015, 1:33 pm

I am one who likes new technology and within the last couple of decades we have seen the mobile phone change from a 'Brick' with suitcase size batteries to slimline palm held PC with 'all the toys' .

However whilst we hear the cries of concern about motorists using the phone whilst driving and the seriousness of safety etc.

No one ever mentions how the common or garden pedestrian turns into a complete and utter zombie / moron who has no traffic sense and become the most unpredictable being when near a road, in a shop ( especially when driving a Tesco trolley) whilst using the 21st century communicating device known as a mobile phone.

Don't get me wrong, I am a smart phone user myself but being male and blonde , multi tasking is certainly a challenge.

I don't want to start a H & S war on phones but if people would apply common sense then we can all enjoy the benefits of todays technology

Rant over
GaryH61
GaryH61

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Rapport

Back to top Go down

Mobile Phones  Empty Re: Mobile Phones

Post by daisy mae 10/2/2015, 1:57 pm

Oh how I agree with you, I think they are not only dangerous in certain situations but are so anti social, my husband refers to them as the umbilical cord, we use ours only in emergences, or ringing someone or a site when travelling, when stopped of course,  other than that not even switched on, have to make a call every 6 months if not used in that time so as not to lose the credit. PAYG.

It annoys me when in the bank supermarket or what ever, even a café , someone in front is using their phone, even when loading trolleys or at the bank counter, it annoys the cashiers also, I spoke to one in Asda, she said they are not allowed to say anything, good job I am not behind the till, have a job not to say something, after all it is ignorant and selfish, as for walking across roads and not even looking at the traffic, and guess who gets the blame if they are run over, poor motorist of cause, all common sense seems to go out the window when they get one these contraptions. one of the worst anti social gadgets out, imho, realise some love them and can be useful, given that they used in the correct and safe manner. Rant over.

Last edited by daisy mae on 10/2/2015, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : when stopped added)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae 10/2/2015, 2:06 pm

oops just noticed it is the grumpy mens thread sorry for intruding, better look more closely next time. err sorry

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro 10/2/2015, 3:44 pm

OK I confess: I am addicted to my iphone. The most marvellous and helpful gadget. However, you make two absolutely valid points: etiquette demands that one shouldn't be a prat, and use it at the dinner table or other similar social occasions, unless necessary; and they can be dangerous insofar as they distract users to a great extent. That's why I think that one shouldn't be allowed to use even hands-free when driving (there's an awful case currently in Newport Crown Court of a young lady accused of being on the phone and causing fatal injuries to two people).  But what really worries me is the kamikaze behaviour of pedestrians who are on the phone and who just step out on to a Zebra or into the road.

But aren't smart phones fantastic!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee 10/2/2015, 3:47 pm

Come on Daisy Mae don't jump on the PC waggon hugegrins

(Just to confirm, this is typed with a laugh)

John

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack 10/2/2015, 4:39 pm

daisy mae wrote:oops just noticed it is the grumpy mens thread sorry for intruding, better look more closely next time. err sorry

Don't worry, Daisy Mae, I'm fairly certain that honorary membership is freely extended to those of the fairer sex who believe themselves to be just as grumpy at times as us old sods   biggrin
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort 10/2/2015, 8:42 pm

....I believe there's an app that shows the view ahead on the screen, so you can look down and still see where you're going.....

....and I can't see the point in stopping people using mobiles while driving when more and more cars are being made with a big touchscreen mounted centrally that controls a lot of the cars functions - deliberately very similar to a phone screen, so that drivers have to look across and down when using it....just as dangerous as using a phone in your hand.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee 10/2/2015, 10:10 pm

AND the t...t's that have sat navs on daylight settings at night in the middle of the windscreen almost directly in front of the driver aaaaaaaaaaaaargh !

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen 11/2/2015, 9:28 am

I wonder how some folk existed before the mobile phone as they are never off them.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold 11/2/2015, 9:37 am

I'll admit to using my phone whilst driving but with Bluetooth earpiece. It's either that or a push-to-talk taxi radio handset which is perfectly legal. At least I can keep two hands on the wheel. The problem I have is writing things down with a pen in my hand, notebook on knee and Mars Bar stuck in my mouth !!   winks   police

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack 11/2/2015, 11:21 am

Many aeons ago when I was a smoker, I learned to operate the steering wheel deftly with my knees so I could have both hands free to roll up some Old Holborn ...

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by pablo 11/2/2015, 2:41 pm

hugegrins I  was driving to a business call the other day and was amazed to see a young female driving along with no hands on the wheel, one hand was holding the driving mirror and the other was applying lipstick!!!! ......So amazed in fact that I almost dropped my battery shaver into my cup of coffee!
PS we are not paying for these emoticons are we????
pablo
pablo

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Enn 28/2/2015, 10:26 pm

daisy mae wrote:Oh how I agree with you, I think they are not only dangerous in certain situations but are so anti social, my husband refers to them as the umbilical cord, we use ours only in emergences, or ringing someone or a site when travelling, when stopped of course,  other than that not even switched on, have to make a call every 6 months if not used in that time so as not to lose the credit. PAYG.
Imagine if every retailer could just take back something you had bought just because you hadn't used it in 6 months. Criminal really when you think about it.

I do think mobiles are marvellous things but what gets me is when I see someone walking along seemingly talking to themselves, with a slightly raised voice, I start thinking, are they talking to me? Are they a little crazy? No, they are chatting on their phone with one of those ear piece blueteeth devices, my mistake !!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady 1/3/2015, 3:26 pm

Sorry, just going to hijack this for a moment.

If you don't use your mobile for a certain time (I thought it was 90 days) you don't lose your credit. You have to ring the network provider and get it back. I've done this. The problem was they couldn't credit my sim and had to give me a new one with, of course, a new number. 

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae 1/3/2015, 10:04 pm

On my network I lose the credit after 6 months, so I just make a call if I haven`t used it in that time, other providers may be different.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down