The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

School punishment

+3
Dutto
shelldrake
Rosie.and.Dick
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

School punishment - Page 2 Empty Re: School punishment

Post by Dutto Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi there,

This is definitely one of those Threads where I wish I was nineteen again 'cos then I knew all the answers!! allthumbz Whereas now I don't even know half of the questions!! tap_fingers tap_fingers

I fully sympathise with the teachers of today but even in the late 1800's it wasn't all milk and honey. wave

Apparently my own grandfather's education came to an abrupt end the day the teacher caught him talking in class and punished him by making him hold a heavy slate blackboard above his head.

The family (who obviously knew my grandfather Tom extremely well) are in full agreement that the teacher must have been a total fool because five minutes into the punishment he spun round from addressing the class to discover that Tom had rested the board on his head.

The teachers course of action was to lash out and slap Tom across the face. Not the smartest thing to do as Tom's reaction (predictable by anyone who knew the man if not the boy) was to bring the blackboard down on the teacher's head to render him unconscious and then walk out of the school never to return! lol4 lol4 lol4

I loved the man and he never laid a finger on me!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

School punishment - Page 2 Empty boarding schools

Post by shelldrake Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:09 pm

Being in the Army and having to move from UK to Germany and back again, we decieded to put the two eldest sons (we have 3) into boarding school in N Ireland so that my mother could look after them on hols etc. The eldest was a rebel but has 2 degrees The second is now a senior Warrant Officer in the Army. The youngest went to boarding school at Quantock nr Taunton There he met his future wife, served in the Army Air Corps for 8 yrs and is now a Police Officer in Thames Valley Police. They all admit that they were good years and glad they went. Discipline was fair and they had their share of detention as capital punishment was outlawed. They were well disciplined by me and wife.
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:00 pm

shelldrake wrote:............. as capital punishment was outlawed. ..........

I'm sure that some teachers have this on their "Wish List" but I think you mean "corporal punishment"! lol4 lol4 lol4

Glad the kids turned out OK though. Being a policeman nowadays is no fun and the fact that they are still sending our lads to God forsaken places to fight nebulous "enemies" makes me ask "Why are they there?" every time I hear of yet another casualty! tap_fingers

If history teaches us anything it is that politicians learn nothing from history. Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie.and.Dick Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Oh dear, don't start me on recent conflicts.

I've been in most since the 70s. The only one I refused to join in, by then as a civilian, was Iraq. As an Arabic speaker, I was asked to go, but I thought it was illegal. Boy, were we two out of step with a very jingoistic population for a long time...

Soldiers, like policeman, just do the job given to them, to the best of their abilities. Politics is for the Ministries. Soldiers look after their mates, their Companies and their Regiments.

Sorry - way off the subject.
Dick
Rosie.and.Dick
Rosie.and.Dick

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Probably the worst thing that happened to me was the passing of the 10 plus (goodness only knows how) and going to a posh school. Being born in July was almost 2 years younger than a lot of my alleged peers and also being the poor farmers son in secondhand uniform was the prime target for the bullies.... Found out the hard way that complaints about Ethelbert Farnes-Barnes forcing my head down the toilet did no good as daddy was a big benefactor of the school. Teachers weren't much better either but got a good education out of it, even if caned several times when stitched up by other kids for things they did.

The bad bits - low esteem. The good bits - determined that my kids would not suffer the same but get a good education. They did and I am proud of them and their vastly different achievements. Corporal punishment does nothing to contribute to education.

Back to the OP - thanks, you started a fascinating thread and were they happy days? Yes, but I have blanked out the really bad bits which took years and learnt that "you should do unto others as you would like them to do unto you" although the temptation to "do unto others before they do unto you" might be a lot more appealing at times....
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

School punishment - Page 2 Empty Junior Soldier

Post by shelldrake Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:19 pm

In 1962 I joined the Army as what was called Boys Service. I was 15 1/2 and it was a 2 yr enlistment before Adult Service. It was like an extension of school with Maths, English, Current Affairs, Map Reading taught in the classroom and outdoors, lots off sports and outward bound activities.I learn to Ski in Avimore. The NCO's were VERY strict but not bullies and I learnt a lot about Man Management from them. What to do and not what to do and when to do it!!. No cane was needed but extra parades at the Guardroom at 9pm had their affect and I suppose it would be fair to say that it did a lot of young lads the world of good. Williams 186 had the choice of Borstal or the Army and it made a man of him!
OK It wasn't boarding school with horrible teachers in the real sense of the word but we lived in 10 man dorms with little or no heating, made our beds and cleaned our rooms/ablutions etc.
Looking back they were great days and lots of friendships made and Facebook has its old boys site.
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:20 am

DuxDeluxe wrote:.......... and learnt that "you should do unto others as you would like them to do unto you" although the temptation to "do unto others before they do unto you" might be a lot more appealing at times....

Ah, at last, someone else who may appreciate the Dutto Family Motto:

"Do unto others as they would do unto you: but do it first!" allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:30 am

shelldrake wrote:............ OK It wasn't boarding school with horrible teachers in the real sense of the word but we lived in 10 man dorms with little or no heating, made our beds and cleaned our rooms/ablutions etc.

Hi there,

I think the whole point of what you describe is that "authority" can be exercised and "discipline" can be enforced without resorting to visiting physical violence on someone!

In 1962 I went to the Police Training establishment at Pannal Ash near Harrogate and received training under circumstances similar to the one you describe; and it was tough but enjoyable.

Incidentally, I went in at 11 stone 7 pounds (73.2kgs) and thought I was lean and fit. Three months later I left at 11 stones (70kgs) and a damned sight leaner and fitter!!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2