The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nice one Cyril !

5 posters

Go down

nice one Cyril ! Empty nice one Cyril !

Post by CC Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:02 am

Laying here in bed listening to the road being dug up outside.... about an hour ago a truck with a digger on the back and a couple of vans rolled up and are happily digging away right outside our bedroom window censored! why they couldn't wait until daylight in a couple of hours time I don't know!

Coffee time I think nah ready for coffee

CC

Last edited by CruizingComet on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

nice one Cyril ! Empty Re: nice one Cyril !

Post by Dutto Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:11 am

Hi there,

My problem is even worse!! tap_fingers tap_fingers

Channel 4 have elected to show Houston Texans v. Green Bay Packers LIVE and I am having to watch the Texans getting smashed out of the park and losing for the first time this season! tap_fingers

Why is it painful? Well, a friend of ours from Houston was all set to honour a bet and arrange our flights out to Houston for the Superbowl if they had an undefeated season!! Now, if they make it to Superbowl we will have to find our own fares! tap_fingers

I wish someone would come and dig up my road as I could do with the distraction! Back to the bottle I think! champagne champagne

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 am

You have my sympathy Dutto, hugegrins meanwhile I'm listening to the digger, the dog pacing back and forth, as well as MrsCC sleeping away rolleyes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:59 am

42 - 17 off to bed!

Take 'em a cup of tea > and throw it over them! allthumbz

Nite, nite!
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:39 am

What a surprise... worked through the night and as soon as daylight broke they packed up and left leaving a huge hole outside.... around 8am another crew arrive and do something in the ground, then put some cement in the hole... now I expect another crew will be along to fill the hole in... hardly an emergency that warrants digging the road up in the early hours of the morning so angry the culprits = National Grid

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:33 pm

When I was much younger, National Grid dealt with electric, now it appears to be gas - how and when did it change?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

nice one Cyril ! Empty Re: Nice one Cyril

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Paulmold wrote:When I was much younger, National Grid dealt with electric, now it appears to be gas - how and when did it change?

NG were 'floated' on the stock exchange some years ago, currently in American ownership.

A better question Paul, would be. "What don't they do?" They appear to be into everything, according to the annual prospectus I get relating to the half dozen shares I have.

And before you ask, NO they are not worth much! lol4

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi there,

They started installing the National Gas Grid back in 1964 so that the natural gas finds out in the North Sea could be distributed throughout Britain.

The natural gas entering the grid started at Bacton in Norfolk, then Easington in Yorkshire, then Theddlethorpe in Lincolnshire then .....

By 1975 it covered virtually the whole of Britain and even incorporated the gas coming in at St. Fergus on the Moray Firth.

It was obviously a major project and, to maintain pressure throughout the whole system, apart from pipelines compressor booster stations were also installed at crucial points throughout Britain with a control facility at Hinckley in Leicestershire.

This massive government investment (via British Gas which was a nationalised company) was an incredible success and British Gas made huge annual profits for the Exchequer: which is exactly why it was the very first nationalised company to be sold!!!!!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:48 pm

British Gas...................yes I remember those Natural Gas ads.

They had so much of it, they would practically be giving it away!

Remember the digging up of every street in London at the time.

"British" Gas confused3

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:03 am

peugeotboxer wrote:British Gas...................yes I remember those Natural Gas ads.

"British" Gas confused3

PB

Hi PB

("Tell Sid")

That was before all the streets were dug up yet again to install cable vision, at the same time cutting off 'phone lines, gas and electricity supplies. What fun that was! snigger

Happy days.

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:42 pm

1b449 wrote:
peugeotboxer wrote:British Gas...................yes I remember those Natural Gas ads.

"British" Gas confused3

PB

Hi PB

("Tell Sid")

That was before all the streets were dug up yet again to install cable vision, at the same time cutting off 'phone lines, gas and electricity supplies. What fun that was! snigger

Happy days.

Mike D

Well I didn't buy any of those shares that 'sid' told me about.
Wonder if i would be a rich man now if I had?

With regard to the natural gas conversion, also remember that all the gas jets had to be changed as well.
Can remember our gas fire (in the parlor) being taped up not to be used as it couldn't be converted! Dad wasn't pleased!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:03 am

peugeotboxer wrote:

Well I didn't buy any of those shares that 'sid' told me about.
Wonder if i would be a rich man now if I had?

Hi there PB,

Here's another history lesson, sorry!

"Selling the privatised industries of Britain to the people that already owned them will be regarded as the biggest con of the 20th century!!" (I am quoting an American financial advisor to Ronald Reagan.)

When they sold off British Gas they were nervous that the general public may object so they launched the huge "tell Sid" campaign that we of a certain age remember so well.

When selling British Gas the shares were deliberately undervalued so that the general public would buy into the scheme, cash the shares in almost immediately, get a quick "profit" and then beg for more. (Pavlov's dogs have nothing on the UK general public when it comes to short-term gain v. long term pain!)

However, the real reason it was an incredible con was that only 45% of the shares in British Gas were actually offered to the general public and the remaining 55% of shares were sold to the financial institutions friendly to the government of the day.

So, if the hundreds of thousands of "little people" who bought £200 worth of shares "made a profit" by selling them for £250 imagine the profits made by the hundred or so financial institutions that bought the other 55% of the shares!

It was such a "success" that by the time British Telecom (yet another highly profitable company) was sold off there was no "Tell Sid" campaign and the level of contempt shown to the general public reached epic proportions; as demonstrated by the fact that only 15% of the shares were offered to the general public and the remaining 85% were "sold" (i.e. undervalued and dispensed yet again) to the government's friends in the City.

Enjoy your utility bills people. You only have yourselves to blame!!

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS Before someone comes in and says something like "We couldn't afford to keep subsidising everything!" please let me point out that ALL of the companies sold off were profitable in public ownership. Even the National Coal Board made enough money from its investments in offshore gas fields to off-set any "subsidies" that the coal-mining side of the business required and we still subsidise the railways just as much as we did before privatisation.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Well said i agree

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:15 am

Hi,

I would like to add, before anyone gets the idea I'm 'minted'.

I never bought gas or telecom shares, the NG shares were 'gifted' as at the time I was in the industry. I have never bought, sold or cashed them in, and dont really have much interest in their value. scratch head Nor do they do not get me cheap electricity! (As if...)

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:48 pm

1b449 wrote:Hi,

I would like to add, before anyone gets the idea I'm 'minted'.

I never bought gas or telecom shares, the NG shares were 'gifted' as at the time I was in the industry. I have never bought, sold or cashed them in, and dont really have much interest in their value. scratch head Nor do they do not get me cheap electricity! (As if...)

Mike D

Mike,

I'm reminded of the Forrest Gump bit where he more or less says "A friend of mine bought me shares in some kind of fruit company. They are called Apple and they seem to be doing very well." up!

Ha! We wish eh? Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:06 am

Nice one Ian! up!