The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Checking in

+10
Dutto
CC
roli
peugeotboxer
modelman
orian
Paulmold
burlingtonboaby
Waves117
Berealwith
14 posters

Go down

New Checking in Empty New Checking in

Post by Berealwith Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi Admin, Mod's and forum members. Very new to motor-homes, saw the site and thought yes we need to read up on things and hopefully meet up at some point. We have not read that far yet, i take there are meets. My wife and i started off many years ago with a trailer tent, moving on to caravanning, our children have just left us one now works and lives in Germany, sure you can see where we are going. We started looking last year with a motor-home in mind, and our last daughter left for university this September. We have just spent the last few weeks looking and getting our heads around prices and kit that you will need, plus all the preparation in travelling abroad. We know what we want, and rigorously endeavour to plan for, from our experiences with caravans the layout and design of the home is paramount. The New Warwick Duo fits the bill for both of us perfectly....anyway enough blogging from me...Hi everyone, oh i must add we have not bought yet we are on our final countdown, thanks for reading. we hope to be a full member/owner soon.....btw the caravan has gone....so we are sure it wont be long...
Berealwith
Berealwith

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

New Checking in Empty Re: New Checking in

Post by Waves117 Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi Berealwith

Welcome to

Waves117 wave
Waves117
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : TRIDENT

Back to top Go down

New Checking in Empty Re-New checking in

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Berealwith
Welcome to the forum from a cooler overcast Bridlington, good luck with your new Warwick, when it comes. up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Welcome from North Wales handshake
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Berealwith,

Welcome to the forum from a very wet Kent. rainyday

asof_welcome2

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:32 pm

Hello & welcome from S/Yorks drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Berealwith

Welcome to the forum

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:08 pm

asof_welcome2 from just down the M6
roli
roli

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi Berealwith (unusual name) smile!
Welcome to ASOF gimmefive

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Berealwith Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:08 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Hi Berealwith (unusual name) smile!
Welcome to ASOF gimmefive

CC

Hi Thanks for the warm welcome smile! Cruzing, the name is one i've had for years on the internet. I've been on the net for a long time, I made that name when i was a avid gamer, and ran a few gaming servers, it fitted the bill. It came from the gaming faction as i was a Clan leader and ran my own forums over the years, you had to "Be-real-with me", or you got the ban....a long time ago. I don't spend a fraction of the time now on computers, and I know what a hard job for little reward it is running a forum, these guys do a great job, i relax and play now...
Berealwith
Berealwith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:46 am

Hi there,

Welcome from a rather damp Skegness. rainyday

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by stuartneale1 Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Hello & welcome from East Yorkshire drinksallround,

Sorry for late reply, but have been away for the weekend.

Stuart

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Rimini

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Berealwith.

Welcome to the forum from Nottinghamshire.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:46 am

Hi and welcome to the forum from another Prestonian wave
Like Stuart,I've just got back from a few days away.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

New Checking in Empty New Checking in

Post by rob.tinagreen Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Rob and Tina bezfriends

rob.tinagreen
rob.tinagreen

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kensington Caravan

Back to top Go down

Post by Berealwith Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Update here, well our heads are spinning now, we have been out looking and yes we were both set on a Duo, but before our final decision and setting the hounds off looking for one we went out with an open mind.......We adjusted our profile, and came home today, and feel the duo is not on it's own..... Can you help us please we are of out again tomorrow and want some dealerships to visit in the Northwest, we have Todds, Marquis, and Campbell's on our doorstep, we cannot seem to find many more big motorhomes dealers on a google search. Any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks smile!
Berealwith
Berealwith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:50 am

Hi there,

The considered advice is to always stay near to home in case there are problems! up!

However, have you thought of going up and over the Pennines?

There are loads of dealers in and around Leeds, Sheffield, Chesterfield etc and on a Sunday like today the M62 may be a nice run out!

According to Met Office Leeds cloudy today but no rain until the evening!

Best regards from a dry and slightly overcast Skegness.
drinksallround
Ian

Last edited by Dutto on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add weather forecast!)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:58 am

We have had a liking for the Duo for some time now but when at the NEC show last weekend, we saw the Marquis version, the Sussex. So if you are going to Marquis at Preston, take a look at the Sussex if they've got one. It is available in 3 different layouts and comes with lots of extras compared with the Warwick such as air-con for the habitation area, alloys etc.
As regards Dealers, come south into Cheshire and you've got Spinney.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Berealwith Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, we did get out looking again today, we started off with another look at Campbell's (It used to be the hymer sales plot....cough, cough.... lol4 ) we'd found on the tinternet...some layouts close to the Alto, these were the very similar to what we added to our final list, note we haven't found any dealers with the alto to view yet (the new one that is 2013). We took your advise and drove down to Spinnys, quite a big place, and not one sales man came over to pressure us at all, we really liked that. We again looked walked round talked, and you guessed it, changed our minds and changed them back again. This has been invaluable to us. What we found was the price between the vans say from 40+ on new to nearly new and a van running say 4/5 years old the price does not go much lower than 38k....and the miles and condition can be well to say the least some look tired...the big plus was the weather, it was rainning, and cold.....we got there early and so when we went into the van we realised this is what the van would feel like just as we got up, some were cold.....hhmmm, we also noted the sliding door does allow rain to drip in the van, i take from that, a awning or roll out is needed, again some good lessons learnt and added. We ended up in the main showroom looking at new.....we have really chopped and changed our minds and hammered out our thoughts, new is what we like. so that really changes things as we can only get from dealers..we have two vans now my wife likes the new Rhythm, and i like the Accent. I have done a search on the forum and found a thread about is what price is a good price from a dealer, as with all things it does pay to ask...Is the dealers way what's on the label is the price !! or is there room for discount ? thanks for listening...

Oh mods is this the right place for chatting on, as i'm not sure where to post this ? and some might think it's in the wrong place and i don't want to offend wave

Cheers Be
Berealwith
Berealwith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi there,

As you are still "looking" you will probably get away with staying on this Thread - for now! up!

With regard to "wriggle room" on price it is there but you have to haggle and be prepared to walk away to get a significant result. look here

By far the best way, with a brand new vehicle, is to go from dealer to dealer asking what they will offer on discounted price for the basic model that you wish to buy. Here are a few "Golden Rules":

1. MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE TALKING TO SOMEONE WHO CAN OFFER YOU A DEAL!

2. THEN START THE DISCUSSIONS AND WRITE IT ALL DOWN.

3. When you have the best price from each dealer start at the best offer, ask what "extras" they will add in for the same price! This can be a selection of anything that isn't included in the basic price from a bottle of toilet fluid to cruise control

4. When you have all the "freebies" that can be squeezed out of the selected dealer start asking for discounts on any other "extras" that you may need such as TV, satellite dish, tow-bar etc.

5. When you are sure that you have everything sorted AGREE THE FULL DEAL AND WRITE DOWN HOW LONG THE OFFER WILL LAST while you go away and "Think about it.".

6. Take the list and the price to the second Dealer on your list and see if they can better the offer. THIS IS NOT SNEAKY. THIS IS BUSINESS. ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT THE DEALER IS A BUSINESSMAN NOT YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND!

It is amazing how much you can get discounted or added as "add-ons" if you haggle properly so watch and learn how NOT to do it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA lol4 lol4

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Berealwith Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Many thanks Dutto, you have helped me out, again thanks....lets hope we get a good deal, we can walk away with....after all cash is king. i remember a while back my wife was selling her cafe and an asian man came to view, after a walk around he opened the bag he was carrying (it was a asda plastic shopping bag) it was full of cash, he made an offer and started counting it out.....we soon came to a price and the deal was done....who walks around with that much of cash these days.....but it's something that has always had me wondering if i could do that...maybe a certified bankers draft, with the payee name blank would do the trick...???
Berealwith
Berealwith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi,

Glad to be of help. blushes

Times change eh? Nowadays you are likely to be mugged just for a plastic bag and depositing more than £5,000 into a bank takes me back to my childhood where my Mum used to ask "Where did you get that from?" whenever a neighbour stuck me tuppence for running an errand! tap_fingers

Good luck with your search. The first night in it (even if it is spent in the drive at home) will make it all worthwhile. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:30 am

Dutto wrote:Hi,

Times change eh? Nowadays you are likely to be mugged just for a plastic bag
Ian

Thats true for round here, you have to pay for all bags in Wales goneoff sorry

Back to the thread - we looked closely at the Rhythm at Lincoln show and liked it a lot except they will use those Waeco fridges that don't run on gas, worries me how long you could last without hook-up. (Did you know there is a Rhythm Sport, base model with a cheaper price)
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Berealwith Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Well update message.....Dutto we used your advice. We now have a good deal on a van, we have played the dealers. We have a price we are happy with we got extras ie comfort pack, and roll out canopy awning inc, we got with these added to the price a 13% discount. I'm sure you know the price of van's and can work out that's a good saving. My wife and i have covered all base's and it's now down to her driving the van and feeling she is capable. She learnt to drive in a capri (remember those) and we have had big car's since then. I don't think she will have much of a problem, fingers crossed. They have set us up a drive tomorrow is there any advice i could pass on as we drive down tomorrow. The dealer said all we need to do is put 1k down and the rest at the end of feb...we want a 2013 plate....Thanks again for all your help, i feel a bit of a charlatan, and hope you can forgive me as the van we have settled on is not an autosleeper blushes but an autocruiser (the accent) in my defence, during our selection we both had my parents in mind, my father over a year ago was diagnosed with cancer and had a very serious operation, he had a 30% chance, he is still here with us and is very well but his life has slowed, while we were looking at vans since we joined on here we found out my mother has been diagnosed too, not as serious, it is treatable in time. We very much thought that we must spend as much time with them as we can, so we changed our needs from a 2/3 seater and began looking for a 4 seater. The only van conversion autosleeper does in a 4 seater is the windrush, but thats a bunk end we didnt want that. I will finish with a thanks again Dutto, not sure how things will go on here, but from what i have read we do hope to bump in to some of you guys on our travels next year.... big thumbs up
Berealwith
Berealwith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi there,

Sorry I missed the Post but we are an hour ahead here and I was instructed to stop clicking the keys!!!

So sorry to hear about your Mum and Dad's problems. You are right to treasure them. My Mum only died a couple of years ago and we were close for most of my life. However, my Dad worked away a lot of the time and I hardly knew him; but I thank the Lord that he gave me the chance to really get to know him for the five years before he died back in 1987; and I still miss him every day.

Back to the Motorhome; just glad to be of help and hope that you enjoy your new purchase as much as we enjoy our "Petal".

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down