The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil and filter change between services

+8
Peatlander 2
babian
v8oholic
glyne lock
Caraman
IanH
Paulmold
Ready to go
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Oil and filter change between services - Page 2 Empty Re: Oil and filter change between services

Post by Caraman Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:59 pm

I sent this question to my nearest three Peugeot Boxer dealerships which are not close to me:

"When I stop, should I let the engine idle for a minute before turning the ignition off?  There is nothing in the manual about it.  If this is not necessary, is it because the turbo coolant/oil pumps/fans continue to operate for a while after the ignition has been turned off?"

To their credit I received swift responses from all three.  The Joker in the pack said:

"I would advise you let the engine idle for a short while before turning the engine off if the problem still persists the only other option is to have a diagnostic carried out on your vehicle which we can do for £180 inc vat"

Another didn't say anything about the cooling mechanism continuing to operate after the ignition was turned off which makes me think he didn't know but he said it's a good idea to let the engine return to its idling speed before turning the ignition off.  I think you would be hard pressed not to do this.

The third one who seemed to know what he was talking about said there is no need to leave the engine idling for a while before turning the ignition off and confirmed that the cooling mechanisms continue to operate after the ignition is turned off.

I will carry on doing what I have done with all my turbo diesels since 1996 i.e. I won't sit with the engine on tick-over for a minute before turning the ignition off.  In a former life I seem to remember it was necessary to do this with heavy armoured vehicles to safeguard their turbos but that was back in the 70s.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Cymro, v8oholic and Peatlander 2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Oil and filter change between services - Page 2 Empty Re: Oil and filter change between services

Post by Caraman Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:14 am

Just had a further message from the 2nd dealer which chimes with the 3rd dealer:

"I Have had a chat with the workshop and they are saying it does not require for you to let the engine  idle,
The fans and coolant pump is normal operation as this is cooling it down the required components."

The Joker in the pack hasn't come back.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

v8oholic and Peatlander 2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:40 am

It seems like this might be one of those sayings from different times that just gets perpetuated, even though it’s no longer applicable. Like the idea that you need to put a stored car on axle stands over winter or the tyres get a flat spot (crossplies did, radials don’t). Or that hot tapwater on frozen car windows will shatter the glass. It will not, as long as it’s cool enough to stick your hand in. I've been doing it for 45 years.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

mikethebike, Peter Brown, PLOUGHLIN and MelB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:56 pm

v8oholic wrote:It seems like this might be one of those sayings from different times that just gets perpetuated, even though it’s no longer applicable. Like the idea that you need to put a stored car on axle stands over winter or the tyres get a flat spot (crossplies did, radials don’t). ....
You are setting me off on tyres again!  This is what TyreSafe and others still say:

If your motorhome is going to stand for any length of time, it is wise to cover the tyres and to shield them from direct sunlight and if possible to jack the weight off them.

A-S make the same recommendation in their handbook but say if you can't jack the weight of them, they should be inflated to their maximum permitted pressure

This recommendation should apply to cars as well even though they are lighter
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:12 pm

"it is wise to" is rather less confident than "you must". Regarding cars, I have never had a problem with cars that don't move for several months over winter, something I've been doing all my adult life. I drove my van for the first time since November recently. Was there any discernible issue with the tyres, left at standard pressures? No. I'm quite happy with my choices on that issue  smile!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:14 pm

Understood.  I agree, it's all 'should' rather than 'must'.  Inflating to the maximum permitted pressure is in part to compensate for a loss of pressure during storage but I believe it is also to reduce the amount the sidewalls flex whilst under load.  I had a bad experience with one of my caravans.  I always stored the first one on axle stands.  I got lazy with the second one and didn't bother.  When it was about 7 years old the side wall blew out.  Luckily I was only doing 30 mph on a relatively quiet road and had somewhere to stop.  The blow out could have been caused by anything but I attributed it to old age and a weak spot caused by winter storage.  On my third caravan I went back to storing it on axle stands.  They were all radial tyres.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:20 pm

Yes just like a Ducati forum.
Starts with oil question, moves on to cam belts, then crank shafts , then tyres.!!!!
Ride / drive the thing.
Tyres will stay round and you will get the value out of your van ( and enjoyment) and.... oil etc.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:29 pm

babian wrote:Yes just like a Ducati forum.
Starts with oil question, moves on to cam belts, then crank shafts , then tyres.!!!!
Like most threads here and like most forums, I'm sure we are all guilty of taking things off topic.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:12 pm

babian wrote:Yes just like a Ducati forum.
How many online forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

53 to flame the spell checkers.

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"...another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

1 to say "post an introduction first"

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy".

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped.

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group.

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three".

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.

44 to ask what is a "FAQ".

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

BobK, mikethebike, Monty-Plym, Dave Gee, Mike187, Dbvwt, Caraman and babian like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:15 pm

Paulmold wrote:
Like most threads here and like most forums, I'm sure we are all guilty of taking things off topic.
mea culpa but there is always something to be learnt from it and it is a chat after all
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:50 pm

goneoff
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

mikethebike and Monty-Plym like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:41 pm

rgermain wrote:
I do let my van idle for about 60 seconds after a run, was told it was to let the turbo cool down. Experts, is this right or wrong?
The turbo spins at a very high speed and can spin after the engine has been turned off  , this means the turbo is spinning without oil pressure., yes  It is right ,
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:05 am

Molly3 wrote:
The turbo spins at a very high speed and can spin after the engine has been turned off  , this means the turbo is spinning without oil pressure., yes  It is right ,
Trying not to offend anyone as we are still off-topic but I would do what I have done and ask a Peugeot Boxer dealer - or in my case 3 Boxer dealers.  The first one couldn't understand my question so his answer was invalid.  The second two both agreed it was not necessary to let the van idle for 60 seconds after a run as the engine's cooling mechanisms continue to operate after the ignition has been turned off.  I don't have the technical knowledge to answer your question fully but I would have thought the turbo will have stopped spinning by the time you have slowed down, parked up and turned off the ignition.

Last edited by Caraman on Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:49 am

rgermain wrote:goneoff
I have just realised that you were the one who took us off-topic in the first place by posting:

I do let my van idle for about 60 seconds after a run, was told it was to let the turbo cool down. Experts, is this right or wrong?

This has nothing to do with the interval between oil changes.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:12 am

Bulldog that will not let go comes to mind!
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:35 am

rgermain wrote:Bulldog that will not let go comes to mind!
Boxer surely  smile!
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2