The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to remove habitation door flyscreen?

2 posters

Go down

How to remove habitation door flyscreen? Empty How to remove habitation door flyscreen?

Post by natmat Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:57 pm

Does you know how to remove the pleated flatscreen from a 2017 Broadway EB? This is fitted in its own 'frame/casing' as an addition on the inside of the habitation door opening.

Pulling gently, the casing popped off its fixing clip at the top.
It feels like there are a couple of clips down either side. But I don't want to start pulling/prising the sides rails of the frame with increasing force without knowing what's holding it in place.

Do you have any experience of removing the frame+pleated flyscreen door and its frame please?

This link has some photos and instructions, but from a caravan. The fitting on my AS might be different because of the base being located in the sunken footwell of the habitation door: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
natmat
natmat

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

How to remove habitation door flyscreen? Empty Re: How to remove habitation door flyscreen?

Post by Libraryman2 Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:24 pm

I changed mine ..it’s takes some courage but it’s doable…

So you’re right, it’s held by clips…pull from the top …more a yank and the clips break…replaceable from parts dept…

Then once you’ve pulled it away …you will have removed the two screws at the the bottom of the door ….in the aluminium foot strip.

The foot strip is held by a strong butyl glue..(in my case) ….get a strong lever and try to lift the aluminium strip……this is the most difficult part …but in time it will come up…then pull the top of the frame toward you and lift the whole frame out.

Mine is a Corinium but I guess they are the same.

Any more advice just PM me

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB

Back to top Go down

How to remove habitation door flyscreen? Empty Re: How to remove habitation door flyscreen?

Post by natmat Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:19 pm

Thanks Ray,
Fingers crossed for my successful attempt tomorrow.
natmat
natmat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:24 pm

No worries, hope it goes well.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by natmat Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:27 am

Libraryman2 wrote:I changed mine ..it’s takes some courage but it’s doable…

So you’re right, it’s held by clips…pull from the top …more a yank and the clips break…replaceable from parts dept…

[Looking from inside] The top (x1 clip) and right (x3 clips) sides are free now.
Bottom screws in plate removed (one rusty and just spinning).

The left side (with the door latch cut-outs) however appears very firmly fixed in comparision. I hope the left side is also deploying the same type of plastic clips, now I know what they look like/fasten. (Why anyone choses one-use, non-reusable and unremovable fastenings is beyond me; must be a cost saving... though at £5 each from spares suppliers they're hardly cheap!).  

Warming up before going outside to tackle the left side again.

Last edited by natmat on Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
natmat
natmat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by natmat Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:40 am

Found this useful link: https://licencedtoretire.com/2020/05/04/the-fri88ing-flyscreen/

(replace 88 with gg)
natmat
natmat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:37 pm

Yes both sides employ the same clips, you might be lucky and save 1…otherwise they all tend to break…

I can’t see the bottom screw that’s spinning causing a real issue but it’s an added complication…
Just make sure that you use something to protect your door closure when you’re levering the aluminium strip up…i used a crow bar, it was really stuck down…

Ps link doesn’t work for me.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by natmat Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:22 pm

Did you change the ‘88’ to ‘gg’ in the link? It should be ‘the - f r i g g i n g - flyscreen’ (no spaces); had to redact it because original wording was politely blocked by this site’s profanity-checker.

Progress made.
Door removed. That is sticky mastic! 
Small crowbar, knife, chisel and screwdriver worked for me.
Some careful man-handling/bending of the frame required to pull the entire frame up/out into the van.

Now it’s out I can sort out the strings.

Will also drill a hole in the rear of footwell (under flatscreen frame) to allow condensation water from door that I’ve noticed over-wintering to drip out.

Thanks for help/encouragement :)
natmat
natmat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:28 pm

Well done…I removed the butyl glue and just used the 2 screws to hold it down….i then put some ordinary sealer..in the grove in front of the aluminium step….stops the little bits of stones etc getting in.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Back to top Go down