The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gearbox jumps out of gear

+11
harrysp
mikethebike
Paulmold
glyne lock
Caraman
Dave Gee
Tinwheeler
Suppersready
IanH
Fixer
Alwaysurfing
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gearbox jumps out of gear Empty Gearbox jumps out of gear

Post by Alwaysurfing Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:23 am

My 2019 Corinium Duo has had its share of issues over the last few years but now we have moved on to while driving along it jumps out of first gear, all other gears drive OK as have just driven back from Portugal in this state.   Should I get it looked at or just ignore?

Peugeot boxer based van.  Its only done 31000 miles,  also, out of warranty dealer doesn't want to help me.....
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Gearbox jumps out of gear Empty Re: Gearbox jumps out of gear

Post by Fixer Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:23 pm

How you can consider ignoring such an issue on what must still be a vehicle worth north of £40k is beyond my understanding.
It is faulty and has the potential for whatever is worn or broken to part company with whatever it is fastened to and drop into the rest of the gears that may be propelling you at some speed. I would think worst case scenario of one of two things to happen, either it destroys everything else and makes it an expensive replacement or it locks up the drive line completely and causes an accident which could cost a lot more than money.
If it were mine, I would be getting it fixed asap.
Fixer
Fixer

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2015

Nue likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:30 pm

It MAY be a cable gear change, cables from lever to gearbox. It may be a badly adjusted cable, an easy fix for the right garage....
Just a thought, really would be surprised if it is internal at that age.....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:39 pm

If I remember correct it’s more of a linkage and may well be no more than a selector rod bush that’s worn or the linkage needs adjustment.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Alwaysurfing Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:54 pm

well this sounds quite reassuring - I think I'll try find a garage that would look at this.... problem is do I take it to a grearbox centre or just a general van place?

I assume a gearbox centre would check the cables and linkages first before ripping the gearbox out for a rebuild.

Trouble is I don't know how to trust anything anyone (motorhome repair people) tells me with motorhome repairs as everything just seems so hopeless.....
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:40 pm

I would go to a Peugeot commercial garage if it was mine. Pick a garage with the capacity to accommodate your van on a hoist.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Cymro, Nue, Russ and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fixer Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:01 pm

I would get an independent one to look at it who has good reviews and recommendations.
Main dealers will always look for replacement of parts rather than refurbishing and repairing.
Fixer
Fixer

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Alwaysurfing Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:11 pm

I'm going to visit a gearbox centre - found one near me that discusses linkages as one reason for gears to jump out - so assuming that's a good place for them to start as easier than taking box out.... 

Going to make a point of it when I take it in, thanks for the heads up here - but as always I'm over a barrel - perhaps I need to learn to trust a little more and be less cynical about the motor trade in general.
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alwaysurfing Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:46 pm

Alwaysurfing wrote:I'm going to visit a gearbox centre - found one near me that discusses linkages as one reason for gears to jump out - so assuming that's a good place for them to start as easier than taking box out.... 

Going to make a point of it when I take it in, thanks for the heads up here - but as always I'm over a barrel - perhaps I need to learn to trust a little more and be less cynical about the motor trade in general.

So gearbox place had the van for two weeks then decided it couldn't raise the vehicle on their ramps safely so told me to take it down the road to someone else that they recommend for the box to be removed.  

So Monday will be attending this new place..... doesn't fill me with confidence though....

Quoted £3000.00 to remove, repair and refit gearbox....

Feeling pretty seen off that after buying a new van in 2019 its now got a knackered gearbox after just 31k miles.... doesn't seem right to me.

They say they test drove it to diagnose the issue - which they say is a worn internal gearbox issue.

Finding someone anywhere in UK who will look at a 8m motorhome jumping out of gear is actually almost impossible - it seems no-one is in the slightest interested in this type of work.  That includes commercial, independent and main dealers.... apparently they all have garages that are too small -  I'm actually finding the whole saga unbelievable ....
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:06 pm

Alwaysurfing wrote:

So gearbox place had the van for two weeks then decided it couldn't raise the vehicle on their ramps safely so told me to take it down the road to someone else that they recommend for the box to be removed.  

So Monday will be attending this new place..... doesn't fill me with confidence though....

Quoted £3000.00 to remove, repair and refit gearbox....

Feeling pretty seen off that after buying a new van in 2019 its now got a knackered gearbox after just 31k miles.... doesn't seem right to me.

They say they test drove it to diagnose the issue - which they say is a worn internal gearbox issue.

Finding someone anywhere in UK who will look at a 8m motorhome jumping out of gear is actually almost impossible - it seems no-one is in the slightest interested in this type of work.  That includes commercial, independent and main dealers.... apparently they all have garages that are too small -  I'm actually finding the whole saga unbelievable ....

Did they say that they had actually checked the linkages because I’m sure these can be checked from top of the engine bay ( happy to be corrected ? )
They had it for two weeks before telling you they couldn’t raise it …. I wouldn’t trust them at all

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Gee Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:31 pm

Not sure I would trust them either - what did they do in the 2 weeks they had the van other than take it for a test drive, surely if you told them the size of the van they should have known if they could raise it or not before you took it into them.  Sound like cowboys to me.

I thought the linkages could be checked and adjusted without the need for the box to be removed.
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:14 am

Alwaysurfing wrote:

It's not true to say ".....they all have garages that are too small....".  You have to search for a main dealer or independent that will take a motorhome and that may require you to go somewhere that isn't local.  It's the same for MOTs.  I am surprised the garage did not tell you from the outset your van wouldn't fit their hoist.  Finding an independent you can trust may be a challenge but there will always be a main dealer who can repair it.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Gee Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:33 am

Have you tried HGV or PSV MOT centres - they should have ramps big enough for a van.

Try using the govt site: https://find-test-centre-hgv-bus-trailer-mot.service.gov.uk/

They give you the phone numbers so you would be able to phone and see if they do repairs too.
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:38 am

As an example, my local garage I use for both the car and the van is also a class 7 (I think)MOT centre so has high height and weight ramps.

If you were here this would be what you need.

Around here I can think of 3 or 4 others....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:48 am

so if i had to remove a gearbox from a  van a truck would i be doing it on a ramp NO
on a floor space YES
Dave Gee do van mots need a ramp  NO most are done on open pits
some may use ramps .lots of reasons that pits work better for van mots
years ago when vans had rear wheel drive you used a ramp to remove the gearbox more so to do rear engine oil seals then clutch or gearbox problems but not now with a fwd used on most vans and over the years there are things that have got much better
this is the reason even people that work in the trade still say every day is a school day .
for gearbox work i do have 1 of the top uk gearbox repair places just a short distance from Taunton they do cars vans trucks and i have used them from the day i started in the trade and still now
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Gee Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:26 pm

Glyne,  

That is why I said they could phone and see if the company was able to do the job.  There are 2 MOT stations locally which can handle these vehicles, one uses a ramp and the other uses a pit as you say.  I mentioned ramps for no other reason than that was mentioned in the main post.  My point was that, whatever method, pit or ramp, they should be able to access the linkages to check for wear or adjustment without the need to remove the gearbox.
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

glyne lock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:19 pm

Dave
please i was not getting at what you had said 
as you are saying the linkage is the first test .
i would unclip the cables and road test in 1st gear then if the problem is still there its saying gearbox needs removing for repairs 
when the job has to be done doing checks to find the fault. it could just be a cable needs to be replaced and is not getting put fully in to 1st gear
people can give lots of jack and jill story but with out doing the test  as i would want to do
 what lots say and give a good story is to no help but just ends up a high cost if people do or try to  
it sounds to me as this person has been given a jack and jill story and they dont want the work or will not make the money other jobs would or not what i want to be saying have not got the skill to take on the job.to have a vehicle for the time they had  says to me the true reason for what they have said and would say stay away from them ever again.
i have removed 2 van engines they are parked on the ground .would i want to even try and do that on a ramp NO
now if the engine has to be replaced is not blocking the ramp from being used or as i take the engine apart
a car on a 2 post ramp yes to remove a gearbox 
but a van on a 4 post ramp would make the job hard to do with a fwd vehicle

Last edited by glyne lock on Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Dave Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alwaysurfing Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:12 pm

The issue:  from standstill acceleration through all gears to motorway speed all gears work fine.

Slowing down I.e slowing for traffic or a junction eventually get to change down from second into first then pull away gear jumps out of first into neutral 

If completely stationary pulling away this doesn’t happen - only from second into first then bang gear jumps out ie just going slow and trying to accelerate
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alwaysurfing Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:24 pm

Fixer wrote:I would get an independent one to look at it who has good reviews and recommendations.
Main dealers will always look for replacement of parts rather than refurbishing and repairing.
I telephoned every Peugeot dealership in Kent - each one said they could not help as vehicle over 6m.
Contacted several Motorhome dealerships all stated they do not do gearbox repairs as out of their scope - all I spoke to advised Peugeot main dealer….  Full circle achieved !!
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alwaysurfing Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:30 pm

Caraman wrote:
It's not true to say ".....they all have garages that are too small....".  You have to search for a main dealer or independent that will take a motorhome and that may require you to go somewhere that isn't local.  It's the same for MOTs.  I am surprised the garage did not tell you from the outset your van wouldn't fit their hoist.  Finding an independent you can trust may be a challenge but there will always be a main dealer who can repair it.

Motorhome dealers are saying to me not their thing… they just want to service engines brakes habitation as far as anything bigger - seems they cannot do it - all those I spoke to advised go to base vehicle dealership- however, can’t find a single one that will take in the Motorhome - stating size issue
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alwaysurfing Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:32 pm

Fixer wrote:How you can consider ignoring such an issue on what must still be a vehicle worth north of £40k is beyond my understanding.
It is faulty and has the potential for whatever is worn or broken to part company with whatever it is fastened to and drop into the rest of the gears that may be propelling you at some speed. I would think worst case scenario of one of two things to happen, either it destroys everything else and makes it an expensive replacement or it locks up the drive line completely and causes an accident which could cost a lot more than money.
If it were mine, I would be getting it fixed asap.

It started in Marseilles world rugby lucky me, then from there we drove Portugal and home - no other issue presented itself - accept jumping out of first gear after changing down….. agree needs to be sorted but proving difficult
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alwaysurfing Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:34 pm

IanH wrote:It MAY be a cable gear change, cables from lever to gearbox. It may be a badly adjusted cable, an easy fix for the right garage....
Just a thought, really would be surprised if it is internal at that age.....

I’ll be asking for this to be categorically checked and answered before allowing them to drop gearbox - however, to date it’s been really difficult to get anyone to look at the issue at all….
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alwaysurfing Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:39 pm

Suppersready wrote:

Did they say that they had actually checked the linkages because I’m sure these can be checked from top of the engine bay ( happy to be corrected ? )
They had it for two weeks before telling you they couldn’t raise it …. I wouldn’t trust them at all

No they didn’t, but I’ll be insisting at the next place, tomorrow
Alwaysurfing
Alwaysurfing

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:39 pm

Alwaysurfing wrote:

Motorhome dealers are saying to me not their thing… they just want to service engines brakes habitation as far as anything bigger - seems they cannot do it - all those I spoke to advised go to base vehicle dealership- however, can’t find a single one that will take in the Motorhome - stating size issue
There is no point taking it to a motorhome dealer.  By 'main dealer' I meant a Peugeot main dealer.  Its true they don't all take motorhomes but some certainly do.  The nearest three to where I live that take motorhomes are each about an hour away.  The closest to the SE would be Hamble Motors near Southampton.  A google search for Peugeot dealers followed up by phone calls should find some.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:59 pm

Robins and day are Peugeot commercial try a search for your area …
Croydon has one

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next