The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2002 Rienza

+4
MalMonty
Tinwheeler
PLOUGHLIN
AlexD
8 posters

Go down

2002 Rienza Empty 2002 Rienza

Post by AlexD Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:33 pm

Hi All
We have just purchased our first motorhome, a 2002 Rienza which we are very pleased with.  But as we are completely new to motorhomes and the handover wasn't completely thorough (and we forgot some of it) there are some things i am not sure about...  Could anybody give any advice about the water for the toilet flush?  I filled the main water tank and the taps and shower worked hot/cold, but when i flushed the toilet there was no water just a small amount of pink liquid??  Im wondering if there is a seperate water tank for the toilet? There is a small opening just below the washroom window which i think could be it?

Also, can anyone recommend a good wheel clamp and steering lock? (We've only had it a week and already had an irish chap knock at the door asking if we want to sell it)

Any help would be much appreciated
AlexD
AlexD

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

2002 Rienza Empty Re: 2002 Rienza

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:51 pm

Have you on of these flaps on the outside?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That's the toilet flush fill point.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

AlexD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:36 pm

I can see it above the cassette emptying door.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

AlexD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexD Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:58 pm

Ah yes great, thanks for the responses. So I can use that to fill it up and then I'm guessing to empty it I keep flushing until it's empty?
AlexD
AlexD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MalMonty Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:01 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:I can see it above the cassette emptying door.
Indeed! That's where you'll refill the toilet flush water and add your pink liquid. 
Our Ravenna is very similar, so send me a msg if you need any help  allthumbz
MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

AlexD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MalMonty Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:02 pm

AlexD wrote:Ah yes great, thanks for the responses. So I can use that to fill it up and then I'm guessing to empty it I keep flushing until it's empty?
That's correct!
MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

AlexD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MalMonty Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:08 pm

If you look on You Tube. Auto_Sleeper Rienza, Pollensa, Ravenna, Palmero and Talisman are pretty similar around that age.
So any videos you find will give you a wee hint around what to expect.
MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

AlexD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:14 pm

AlexD wrote:Ah yes great, thanks for the responses. So I can use that to fill it up and then I'm guessing to empty it I keep flushing until it's empty?
 There should be a means of draining the flush tank within the cassette emptying access area - depending on model either a grey rubber bung or a sight tube that unplugs. Much easier and quicker than having to flush it through.

Incidentally, check out the forum using the search facility regarding the use of pink fluid causing black algae buildup - many of us now avoid it and just use plain water or maybe a dash of bio washing fluid. For later models which draw their flush water from the main fresh water tank, there is no way to use pink additive and so it's been proved unneccesary.

Last edited by rogerblack on Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:24 pm

As a Rienza owner I concur with others regarding the flush tank. Ours had been stood for nine months before we bought it with flush gunk of some unknown pedigree in it. Before you top up the tank remove the drain plug in the top left corner of the cassette locker and flush out the tank.
Even after I rinsed out the tank the pump on ours was blocked solid with black gunk twice and the wiring being corroded caused us trouble so I replaced the pump with a manual one.
I keep a spray bottle of flush gunk next to the toilet and fill the tank with water now to prevent reoccurrence of black gunk.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 2005

AlexD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MalMonty Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:38 pm

rogerblack wrote:
 There should be a means of draining the flush tank it within the cassette emptying access area - depending on model either a grey rubber bung or a sight tube that unplugs. Much easier and quicker than having to flush it through.

Incidentally, check out the forum using the search facility regarding the use of pink fluid causing black algae buildup - many of us now avoid it and just use plain water or maybe a dash of bio washing fluid. For later models which draw their flush water from the main fresh water tank, there is no way to use pink additive and so it's been proved unneccesary.
Indeed! the wee plug is top left hand side corner. As Roger suggested, better draining from there for maintenance etc than flushing constantly  hugegrins hugegrins 

Regarding pink liquid, I do still use it, as we were given a 10ltr bottle with the motorhome. Although I would recommend using it very sparingly.
MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:45 pm

The original Thetford toilet pink fluid did cause black gunk build up. I now use Elsan which has successfully removed it without recurrence.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

AlexD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexD Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:51 am

Thanks all for the info, i took the toilet cassette out last night and i did spot a tube stashed to the side. im thinking this might be used to drain off into the cassette.  I'll see if i can get a picture of it later.

I had no idea about pink liquid causing a black algae so thanks for that, like i said when i flush (its a manual flush) its just some of that pink stuff coming out, im guessing this must have been poured into the toilet water tank as i can see any other place it would come from.

Also, just to say a big thanks for all your comments, its very helpful smile!
AlexD
AlexD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:35 am

AlexD wrote:.... i took the toilet cassette out last night and i did spot a tube stashed to the side. im thinking this might be used to drain off into the cassette.  ....
No need to drain into the cassette, a bucket or onto the ground will do.  At this time of year it's important to drain the toilet flush when the vehicle is out of use or else it could freeze and cause damage.  Similarly drain down the main water system and tanks and leave the taps open.  

You asked about wheel locks and clamps.  If you use the search facility you will find quite bit about this on the Forum.  I use one of these mainly because its compact, not too heavy and easy to fit:

Unfortunately all devices fitted will be overcome by a determined thief.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

AlexD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:30 am

You mentioned the issue of the Irish guys knocking on the door. This has been going on for a while in most areas and it makes you think about extra security.
There was a Milenco lock on the habitation door when we bought ours and I fitted dead locks to the inside of the cab doors. The steering lock I already had would have gone on but the horn sounded when it was fitted.
The pedal locks look a good idea. Fitting it with the key down makes it harder to drill out the lock apparently.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

AlexD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MalMonty Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:52 am

Dave 418 wrote:You mentioned the issue of the Irish guys knocking on the door. This has been going on for a while in most areas and it makes you think about extra security.
There was a Milenco lock on the habitation door when we bought ours and I fitted dead locks to the inside of the cab doors. The steering lock I already had would have gone on but the horn sounded when it was fitted.
The pedal locks look a good idea. Fitting it with the key down makes it harder to drill out the lock apparently.

As a temporary security measure, we got one of these locks for the habitation door. Great for overnight or just added peace of mind when leaving the vehicle (although this means leaving via the front doors). The older vans door lock isn't the most secure, so I've found this wee gadget has come in handy. 

MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

AlexD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:31 pm

I havnt seen those before. If they fit cab doors they will be cheaper than the dead locks I fitted. Another thing I fitted were the metal locks for the habitation windows, Lock ‘Em Out.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MalMonty Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:35 pm

Dave 418 wrote:I havnt seen those before. If they fit cab doors they will be cheaper than the dead locks I fitted. Another thing I fitted were the metal locks for the habitation windows, Lock ‘Em Out.
They are very good! Tested with the door unlocked too. Very secure and pretty impossible to open the door from the outside once this is on  up!
MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexD Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:57 am

Thanks everyone, thats some great suggestions, I will definately get one of those door clar locks as a temp measure, probably followed by that milenco hab door lock too (it seems fairly striaght forward to install). From what i've seen if they really want to steal it nothing can really stop them but visual deterants might be enough to put them off so a brightly cooured wheel clamp as well.  We do have a car parked in front of it on the drive, as well as a big dog that barks alot smile! so that something.
AlexD
AlexD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MalMonty Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:26 pm

AlexD wrote:Thanks everyone, thats some great suggestions, I will definately get one of those door clar locks as a temp measure, probably followed by that milenco hab door lock too (it seems fairly striaght forward to install). From what i've seen if they really want to steal it nothing can really stop them but visual deterants might be enough to put them off so a brightly cooured wheel clamp as well.  We do have a car parked in front of it on the drive, as well as a big dog that barks alot smile! so that something.
Steering lock is a good shout! Can't think many thieves want the hassle of taking the time to break in and then dealing with that.  Claw lock it a handy gadget. Although bought as a temp measure, we have been that impressed with it, we are going to keeping it in use.
MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Gee Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:42 pm

As you say, if they really want to steal it they will but another deterrent is to drive the van up the drive too, don't reverse it up.  Even if a ne'erdowell gets into the van and has the time to get rid of a steering lock, reversing one down a drive and manoeuvring it to point the right way up the street might be enough to put them off, especially if it's a long wheel base.
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:17 pm

I live in hopes mine being a tight fit on the drive facing forwards and at an angle with management car parked behind it slows potential thieves.
My main worry is when we are away because we are off grid or use pub car parks quite frequently. Muttly being in there won’t be much of a deterrent because he dosnt bark.
My mate had his Landrover stolen from his attached garage so his German Shepherd lives in the back of his Landrover now. It’s a lovely dog but she knows her territory and has a good set of nashers.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down