The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Milenco mirror protectors, poor fit.

+5
Caraman
Spendingkidsinheritance
CC
Paulmold
AngB
9 posters

Go down

Milenco mirror protectors, poor fit. Empty Milenco mirror protectors, poor fit.

Post by AngB Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:48 pm

Hello all

Nuevo 2007, new Milenco white mirror protectors

Perhaps it's me but has anybody had a problem getting these to fit.
The passenger side just will not close up enough to get the screws located, to be honest they don't appear to be a quality item.
Anyhow, I called Milenco customer services who immediately advised me to push them hard. Obviously I was not the first caller with this issue.
So another 45 mins of pushing, resting, pushing and the protector won again. Called Milenco and they said send a pic but return the product where it was bought.
I will try but it was an Xmas pressie off the kids, I hope they have the receipt.
I feel less than satisfied with this product, but perhaps I was unlucky.
It is definitely the long arm model.
I will post the outcome.

Thanks
AngB
AngB
AngB

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Auto sleeper Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Milenco mirror protectors, poor fit. Empty Re: Milenco mirror protectors, poor fit.

Post by Paulmold Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:19 pm

Looking at your profile, I see your Nuevo is a 2007 which is the changeover year from Nuevo Mk1 to the Mk2. The Mk1 is narrower and I'm wondering if your van is a Mk1 which may have the same mirrors as the van conversions which are short arm. I have short arm Milenco covers and they were tight but not impossible to fit. I'm happy with mine.
If you'd like to put a photo on of your mirrors, we may be able to confirm if yours are short or long arm.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Milenco mirror protectors, poor fit. Empty Re: Milenco mirror protectors, poor fit.

Post by AngB Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:05 pm

Hi Paul

Thanks for that, pic should be attached.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AngB
AngB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:58 pm

They are definitely long arm  so I've no idea why they won't fit.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by AngB Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:03 pm

Hi Paul
Thanks for that confirmation.
Likewise I have no idea. All I can say is that the nearside protector definitely will not fit snugly enough to get the screws in, even with considerable force.
Should I manage it, it will be a "bodge job" which is not what I expect with a new part from Milenco.
Really disappointed at the moment.
I will post the outcome. 
AngB
AngB
AngB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:30 am

Do yourself a favour & return the milenco covers they offer very little in the way of actual protection as well as looking really nasty & cheap, get yourself some MirrorGuards or MirrorArmour protectors instead.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Spendingkidsinheritance Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:38 am

Replacement mirror units can be bought on internet for about the cost of set of Mirror guards so don't see sense in buying them, can't buy Mirror guard singly so any damage means both need replaced anyway
Spendingkidsinheritance
Spendingkidsinheritance

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:36 am

Spendingkidsinheritance wrote:Replacement mirror units can be bought on internet for about the cost of set of Mirror guards so don't see sense in buying them, can't buy Mirror guard singly so any damage means both need replaced anyway
The 'sense' is that the mirror guards should protect the mirror from multiple strikes i.e from having to replace the mirror more than once.  I was surprised how easily the plastic mirror & indicator housings crack when they don't have guards.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Spendingkidsinheritance Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:19 am

Your van, your money, your choice
Spendingkidsinheritance
Spendingkidsinheritance

Other / Decline to state

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:43 am

Agreed with above, don't see how they'll do any good for anything other than a minor impact, more importantly I think they look ugly!! snigger snigger
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:47 am

IanH wrote:Agreed with above, don't see how they'll do any good for anything other than a minor impact, more importantly I think they look ugly!! snigger snigger
But that's my point - 'minor impacts' can crack the mirror housing.  I know that from experience.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:42 am

I’ve had to replace a complete mirror unit in a hurry at a Peugeot Citroen dealer in Salzburg and it was probably more than the protectors cost (£348.83 including labour). However, due to the way it was broken, I doubt protectors would have prevented the damage. It was hit from the rearward facing side by an overtaking taxi minibus on a narrowing road, and the whole lower section fractured, including the mount. I have hit that mirror before on cut branches, causing scratches, and even got yellow bus paint on it once. It folded very rapidly both times with no harm done, so they seem pretty tough. So far I don’t see a compelling case for the protectors. The most vulnerable part looks as though it should be the indicator repeater, but you can’t cover that of course.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

The Bargee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:20 am

Spendingkidsinheritance wrote:Replacement mirror units can be bought on internet for about the cost of set of Mirror guards so don't see sense in buying them, can't buy Mirror guard singly so any damage means both need replaced anyway

People should be very aware that buying cheap after market mirrors off eBay can come with their own problems, especially the drivers side with the inbuilt external temperature sensor, firstly they don’t come with one hence why they are so cheap and worse is as a result of no sensor they can bizarrely throw up all kinds of engine management issues, don’t believe me then check out Jimmy at O’Rileys Autos whose seen numerous peoples vans with this exact same problem, replaced the mirrors and they’ve been fine again.

Just incase anyone thinks I’m talking rubbish I managed to find the video on O’Riley Autos YouTube channel here

Thousands Spent But Still A DPF Fault!? You Won't Believe The Cause! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:55 am

v8oholic wrote:... The most vulnerable part looks as though it should be the indicator repeater, but you can’t cover that of course.
I agree.  Mine was cracked by a branch or twig sticking out from a hedge on the n/s.  The impact was so minor I didn't notice it at the time.  It also cracked the mirror housing near the indicator.  Tried gluing to no avail.  I didn't replace the mirror which the Mirrorguard now covers.  The Mirrorguard stands proud of the indicator so should provide it with some protection.  I find it is almost impossible not to brush past hedges on narrow roads so the risk of strikes is ever present.  When I decided to fit Mirrorguards I was influence by my car mirror which got taken out by a van coming in the opposite direction on a narrow road after I had almost stopped.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Kdc likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:03 pm

CC wrote:

People should be very aware that buying cheap after market mirrors off eBay can come with their own problems, especially the drivers side with the inbuilt external temperature sensor, firstly they don’t come with one hence why they are so cheap and worse is as a result of no sensor they can bizarrely throw up all kinds of engine management issues, don’t believe me then check out Jimmy at O’Rileys Autos whose seen numerous peoples vans with this exact same problem, replaced the mirrors and they’ve been fine again.

Just incase anyone thinks I’m talking rubbish I managed to find the video on O’Riley Autos YouTube channel here

Thousands Spent But Still A DPF Fault!? You Won't Believe The Cause! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

what that has been said here is NOT all correct
the van been talked about had a mirror with a temperature sensor and had a incorrect mirror fitted NOT A CHEAP as is said by CC and a Moderator NOTE this is to no help putting incorrect information .
the correct part is the temperature sensor if fitted from new works with the ecu to run the engine
to help get a correct mirror
the part number is on the mirror wiring
when you get a mirror is it heated
has it got motor adjustment
has it got the temperature sensor
then what is the arm length 
this is just some help to get a correct replacement mirror
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:50 pm

Main dealers have access to the computer system which shows the correct part number for the specific vehicle, by VIN. 2 day delivery from central warehouse in France to local dealer. Fitted in 20 minutes, including removing the window blind and replacing it afterwards. I'd hardly had time to finish my complimentary coffee and biscuits. Maybe different if the mirror might have been changed by Auto-Sleepers as part of the conversion, of course.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:46 am

The video clearly explains what can happen by fitting a cheaper aftermarket mirror. I’m not sure what your point is or why you state it’s incorrect, the video is clear to me! Many of the cheaper mirrors don’t have sensors in them, most people would be unaware that this could result in failed regeneration of the DPF just as the guy in the video didn’t until pointed out to him by Jimmy. As Jimmy pointed out the guy purchased the mirror online & it came with the sensor missing, so clearly it was a ‘Cheap’ aftermarket mirror right? So as far as I’m concerned it’s not incorrect information and might help someone in the future.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AngB Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 pm

Hi 
Just an update to my original post.
Milenco emailed back and stated that the fitting is easier as a two person job.
Whilst I agree with that, I have given this as much pressure as I thought necessary without breaking the mirror assembly.
So, I will try again with another helper, also giving the protector a dip in warm water to slightly soften.
I will post the results.
Thanks
AngB
AngB
AngB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:56 pm

AngB, good luck. I have Milenco protectors on my mirrors and had very little problem fitting them. After "hooking" them on to the indicator side they should push fairly easily onto the mirror housing. To be honest I have no idea why they suggest it's a two person job?

As for the quality others have referred to, I've had a couple of direct hits as well as the aforementioned, and sometimes impossible to avoid, 'trial by jaggy hedge' and the protectors did their job. Unfortunately the weather etc have taken their toll and they have not retained their look and finish.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AngB Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:18 pm

It certainly was a two person job. Me and son managed it just after warming it in water.

I am happy with the way they look now but something must have been amiss for one to be so difficult, heaven knows?

Thanks for all the advice
AngB
AngB
AngB

Male

Back to top Go down