The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mirror protectors

+4
bikeralw
oldfred
burlingtonboaby
jubejube
8 posters

Go down

mirror  protectors Empty mirror protectors

Post by jubejube Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi folks, Thinking about getting covers for our wing mirrors,they price from £55 up to £130,the Roadpro seems to be the best for mpact but I would love to hear what you all think,   Jubejube,
jubejube
jubejube

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

mirror  protectors Empty Re: mirror protectors

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:30 pm

I had the original Mirror guards on my 09 Nuevo for three years, they saved the drivers mirror three times, however broke in half on the last impact, purchased the Milenco type mirror guards as I was near their Sheffield store, replacing the broken cover.
The Milenco guards are thinner , without the foam pads. The Road -pro mirror armour guards appear to be made of thicker material, they look as if they would survive a good impact.
I have the Milenco mirror guards on my Sigma, however might purchase the road pro ones  if I'm passing a store.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Put mirror in the search box and you will find lots of posts on this topic
Mine have been very useful.
Regards
Fred
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

mirror  protectors Empty mirror protectors

Post by jubejube Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks guys have bought them from Roadpro,Jubejube
jubejube
jubejube

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:37 am

An old thread I know, but how useful are these protectors? I've just returned from a whistle stop tour of Cornwall, and driving steadily down a not particularly narrow country road, but with no central white lines, I was faced by an oncoming car driver who refused to go anywhere near the hedge on his side, preferring the centre of the road! I was forced to go dangerously close to the hedge on my side. The NS mirror hit a thick branch and snapped back and hit the door with an almighty bang, shattering both main and blind spot mirrors.
When I inspected the van, the only damage apart from the glass was a crescent shaped black ding on the door just below the quarter light window, hopefully this will polish out, it was the wing mirror hitting the door that broke the glass, not the contact with the hedge. I fail to see how these protectors could have prevented this.
I have two replacement mirrors with heating elements on order, cost of £25, which I think is reasonable.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Seems to me that we can only buy these covers for the long arm mirrors. The ones I have looked at say "Not for panel van conversions" . 

Is this because Panel van conversions are that much narrower ? 

Cheers.

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi bikeralw I fitted the expensive mirror gaurds to our Broadway and they have thick foam strips between the mirror back and the guard, also they project a bit farther back over the mirror with a webbing type edge which makes an overhang lip all around.
Hope you understand my post.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Think I get that John. I've had the mirror flick back many times when it's hit overhanging shrubbery etc, but this is the first time the mirror came back hard enough for the frame to hit the van door metalwork. This shock caused the mirrors to shatter. A rubberised rim rather than hard plastic may have prevented it.
Al
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:38 pm

Having just bought a pair at the show, I'm still only partially convinced.

If you are not quick enough to avoid white van man and clash mirrors at a closing speed of 40mph or more, I can't see how the mirror guards could prevent the mirrors from smashing.

I got them more to prevent scraping on the hedgerows in narrow lanes, or on (say) the check-in booths at the ports, stately homes etc.. Also for low speed collision when (for example) oncoming city traffic squeezes you into a gap that is too narrow for the mirrors - and you either clout something on the left, or clash mirrors with the approaching vehicle.

They are large and brilliant white so they do show up much more clearly, and mine may well have a set of diagonal dayglow yellow stripes before long! snigger

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:32 pm

bikeralw wrote:Think I get that John. I've had the mirror flick back many times when it's hit overhanging shrubbery etc, but this is the first time the mirror came back hard enough for the frame to hit the van door metalwork. This shock caused the mirrors to shatter. A rubberised rim rather than hard plastic may have prevented it.
Al

I agree and although I have the wing mirror protectors I have also stuck a piece of 10mm thick neoprene tape where the mirror would hit the window frame (it's black on black so not really noticeable).

Not had an incident yet to test whether it would make any difference - but would certainly help cushion any impact.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:08 am

That's what I intend to do Steve once I've fitted the two new mirrors. Either that or stick a 3x2 inch block of white high density foam below the quarter light window where contact is made with the mirror when it folds.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down