The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyres

+4
IanH
CC
NickT
Mike Holderr
8 posters

Go down

Tyres Empty Tyres

Post by Mike Holderr Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:34 pm

Are there any dealers that offer discounts on motorhome these.
Mike Holderr
Mike Holderr

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW clubman gl
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Tyres Empty Re: Tyres

Post by NickT Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:00 pm

The best price I could find earlier this year was via Asda tyres, (Continental VancoCamper).

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Orian Gemini
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:36 am

As said by NickT Asda Tyres, along with RAC tyres seem to offer the best prices having checked them recently. Have just ordered a new set of All Season M+S 3 Peak rated tyres from Black Circles for our new van, really annoying as dealer Don Amott who we bought our van from fitted brand new tyres on our van before collection, we asked about paying the difference to upgrade to all season tyres but they refused saying this is something they have never done or would consider doing, needless to say they fitted really crap unknown tyres which are coming straight off and being replaced Saturday morning, that’s a negative for Don Amott for being so un accommodating and unhelpful, all they had to do was add the cost difference on our bill which we made clear we were happy to pay. Hopefully we can recover some of the cost by selling the current tyres that only have about 300 miles wear on them.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

orac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:11 pm

Be cautious re black circles.

For my car tyres I looked at them, then contacted them and said I wouldn't accept any over 6 months old. He, quite abruptly told me they have no control over tyre age and consider 5 yrs old as new..

He was, politely, then told to keep them, got 4 month old ones from my local tyre guy in Stalham...
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:12 pm

I'd also add that my 3200Kg max, 3020Kg normal Exec is running on normal van tyres. They were 1 yr old when I bought it and have been excellent ever since, just what white van man uses.......
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

BobK and Suppersready like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:59 am

Thanks for the warning Ian that doesn’t sound good, have used Black Circles a few times and never had an issue to be fair. I find the fitting centres don’t like black circle orders as they loose out, I’ve saved over £30 a tyre compared to the local fitters price, £120 difference on a set of tyres tell me somone is making a lot of money  scratch head

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:00 am

Our paths crossed!! Just 10 seconds ago sent you a PM!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:43 am

I was told by local fitter that they wouldn't deal with any warranty issues with tyres supplied by black circles , your contract is with black circles not the fitters.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:52 am

Having recently changed tyres on my Warwick xl I initially got figure from black circle which was acceptable. There local fitting agent was Pro Tyres , I would much prefer to deal in person than on internet if possible so went to pro tyres for quote giving them black circle price. They matched it without a fight,guess more in it for them cutting out Blackcircle. More importantly I said I want to inspect tyre before they are fitted and would not accept anything over a year old. They were four months old. Getting unacceptable age via internet sale is likely to be hassle to rectify,where as having stated my restriction, dealing with a person may well have been more straight forward had there been an issue.
Like IanH my Warwick xl  is running on van tyres, (Agilis Cross Climate). My personal opinion is that CP tyres are hard running and not necessary on panel van without large overhangs you have on some coach builds. The load index on van tyres can be equal or higher than some CP tyres which leaves me in quandary as to the advantage. 
It’s only an opinion and I am open to views to the contrary.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:23 pm

Kdc wrote:...... The load index on van tyres can be equal or higher than some CP tyres which leaves me in quandary as to the advantage. 
It’s only an opinion and I am open to views to the contrary.
If C and CP tyres that have the same size and therefore load index are compared with each other, the CP variant is definitely safer for motorhomes.  However, I'm less sure whether for example a 225/70 R15 C tyre with a load index of 112 is safer than an 215/70 R15 CP tyre with a load index of 109?  My instinct says it is.  Both tyres fit the same rim.  All Continental and Michelin will say when asked this question is that they only recommend CP tyres for motorhomes.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:01 pm

However. Both Continental and Michelin make motorhome tyres.....so they would want to sell them......
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:25 am

I think a difference between motorhome and panel van needs to be considered in the context of tyres. I believe the main difference is that CP tyres generally run at higher pressures than C ,(especially on the rear) which likely improve stability when subjected to side forces. This will be a significant consideration with heavier and longer vehicles with overhangs behind rear axle. I don’t believe this force is so relevant on pvc’s which are no different from loaded commercial vans. This is what I base my opinion that CP is not so necessary on pvc’s. It certainly is not detrimental but the higher pressure contributes to harder ride where as C tyres can run at lower pressures which moderately improves ride.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:03 am

I agree with Kdc and this is sort of confirmed in Michelin's explanation of CP tyres:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They recommend C tyres for van conversions but CP for the rest.  However, I believe there are errors and omissions in what they have said which devalue their recommendations.  They say CP tyres increase the load index of the tyre which they definitely don't and as far as I (and Continental Tyres) can determine, the ETRTO does not recommend that rear CP tyres should always be inflated to their maximum permitted pressure of 5.5 bar.  They also say for the front tyres refer to the manufacturer's inflation recommendations.  The only recommendation given for my front axle is 5.0 bar when fully loaded.  It doesn't give any recommendation for when the front axle is not fully loaded which mine never is.  For that you have to refer to the ETRTO's figures which Continental publish in their data book and are used by TyreSafe.  Michelin give recommendations for prolonged parking but don't say that the tyres should be inflated to their maximum permitted pressure, which I believe they should be, and they omit the benefits in storage that CP tyres provide of stiffer sidewalls and higher pressures, which apply just as much to PVCs as coachbuilts.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:44 am

We have a Macconnechies relatively local, so I go there for tyres, for all the vehicles

Now, here's the interesting bit, Macconnechies got bought out by Halfords. Went in for tyres, he says I'll give you the Macconnechies price, as your a local, not the Halfords one.

Much of a difference? Well, put it this way, I bought two tyres, fitted and balanced, and with the difference in price I could nearly have bought three at the Macc price for two at Halfords price. Same tyres.
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:20 pm

Yet Halfords claim they won't be beaten on tyres.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:26 pm

I saw the recommended prices on the computer.
The fitter showed them to.me.
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down