The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyres

+6
rogerblack
IanH
Peter Brown
FreelanderUK
v8oholic
alanbrandrick
10 posters

Go down

Tyres Empty Tyres

Post by alanbrandrick Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:19 pm

Hi!

Can anyone advise please?

My local tyre fitter insists that C commercial tyres for my motorhome (Autosleeper Inca) are not insurance compatible.

He has them at £75 ea + vat.
Motorhome specific are £126 + vat

Help!

Regards,

Alan
alanbrandrick
alanbrandrick

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Inca
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Tyres Empty Re: Tyres

Post by v8oholic Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:18 pm

You could ask your insurance company. Van conversions come new with standard van C tyres. Michelin CrossClimates are C tyres and have been fitted to numerous fleets of vans, some of whom say they last twice as long as rival tyres. Michelin also make a CP tyre, but is it necessary? I don't think so. Others may disagree. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

frederic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:42 pm

As long as the load rating is correct for your van you can fit commercial tyres if you wish, in 18 years of Motorhoming I have never fitted motorhome or camper specific tyres, but always made sure that the load rating was correct

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

v8oholic, frederic and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:07 pm

alanbrandrick wrote:Hi!

Can anyone advise please?

My local tyre fitter insists that C commercial tyres for my motorhome (Autosleeper Inca) are not insurance compatible.

He has them at £75 ea + vat.
Motorhome specific are £126 + vat

Help!

Regards,

Alan

Which local tyre fitter gave that advice?  I live close to one of them in Cheadle.

PS I also used to have a 2005 Inca but it was traded in to Cotswold motorhome in 2008 so I doubt its the same one.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:02 pm

How does the tyre know what vehicle it is fitted to? Tyres are selected by load rating, if within the rating for the max load of the vehicle, then that is surely all that is required.
Mine is on correct rating commercial van tyres btw
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:28 pm

This from the Michelin website seems quite informative regarding tyres for camper vans and motorhomes as opposed to commercial vans:

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by alanbrandrick Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:48 pm

v8oholic wrote:You could ask your insurance company. Van conversions come new with standard van C tyres. Michelin CrossClimates are C tyres and have been fitted to numerous fleets of vans, some of whom say they last twice as long as rival tyres. Michelin also make a CP tyre, but is it necessary? I don't think so. Others may disagree. 

I failed in trying to speak with a human being and am awaiting a response to my email...
Thanks for the input.
alanbrandrick
alanbrandrick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:20 am

Motorhomes place greater demand on their tyres than commercial vans.  This is especially so for coachbuilts which overhang their wheel track at the side and, by quite a margin, their wheel base at the rear.  This is why the ETRTO recommend motorhomes are fitted with stronger and stiffer CP tyres that are inflated to higher pressures.  Its possible that replacing standard fit CP tyres with less safe C tyres could affect an insurance payout so it is worth checking this with the insurance company. I won't fit C tyres to my coachbuilt even if it saves money and gives a softer ride.

Last edited by Caraman on Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:42 am

Most campervan tyres are 8 ply rated as are nearly all commercial tyres, the Continental van tyres I have fitted are rated 10 ply strengthened which are even stiffer, tyre pressures are done according to the axel weights which I got when I had the van on a weight  bridge

Male

Alf, rgermain, PLOUGHLIN and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:28 am

6ply tyres with the correct load ratings  give a comfier ride but less kerbing resistance
Worked well on our Duetto's and Topaz.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Alf and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alanbrandrick Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:33 am

frederic wrote:6ply tyres with the correct load ratings  give a comfier ride but less kerbing resistance
Worked well on our Duetto's and Topaz.
frederic
Sorted thanks - my insurers are happy with 6ply commercials as long as they are within legal requirements.
alanbrandrick
alanbrandrick

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alanbrandrick Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:35 am

Caraman wrote:Motorhomes place greater demand on their tyres than commercial vans.  This is especially so for coachbuilts which overhang their wheel track at the side and, by quite a margin, their wheel base at the rear.  This is why the ETRTO recommend motorhomes are fitted with stronger and stiffer CP tyres that are inflated to higher pressures.  Its possible that replacing standard fit CP tyres with less safe C tyres could affect an insurance payout so it is worth checking this with the insurance company. I won't fit C tyres to my coachbuilt even if it saves money and gives a softer ride.
Hi! Thanks for the info but my insurers are happy with C rated tyres as long as they are within legal limits.
alanbrandrick
alanbrandrick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:32 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:Most campervan tyres are 8 ply rated as are nearly all commercial tyres, the Continental van tyres I have fitted are rated 10 ply strengthened which are even stiffer, tyre pressures are done according to the axel weights which I got when I had the van on a weight  bridge
The OP I believe has a coachbuilt which is different beast to your PVC.  The question that should be asked of Continental is which is best for a coachbuilt's rear axle with substantial overhangs to the side and rear and with a typical maximum tyre load of 1030 kg.  A 109 load index CP tyre at its maximum permitted load of 1030 kg and therefore maximum permitted pressure of 5.5 bar, or, a C tyre with the same size that might have a higher load index with more plies and is inflated to the much lower C tyre pressure appropriate to a 1030 kg load?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:10 pm

My Gloucester has C tyres all season tyres (Continental) fitted from the factory, 121 load rating, 10 ply.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:14 pm

Peter,  that makes them 12 yrs old?
Really should be changed at 7 yrs, my MOT guy is giving verbal advisories re that now.... scratch head
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:59 pm

Caraman wrote:
FreelanderUK wrote:Most campervan tyres are 8 ply rated as are nearly all commercial tyres, the Continental van tyres I have fitted are rated 10 ply strengthened which are even stiffer, tyre pressures are done according to the axel weights which I got when I had the van on a weight  bridge
The OP I believe has a coachbuilt which is different beast to your PVC.  The question that should be asked of Continental is which is best for a coachbuilt's rear axle with substantial overhangs to the side and rear and with a typical maximum tyre load of 1030 kg.  A 109 load index CP tyre at its maximum permitted load of 1030 kg and therefore maximum permitted pressure of 5.5 bar, or, a C tyre with the same size that might have a higher load index with more plies and is inflated to the much lower C tyre pressure appropriate to a 1030 kg load?
I asked Continental and Michelin the question but restricted it to my own coach built, which was supplied with 215/70 R15 109R summer CP tyres, which in due course I will replace with 4-season tyres.  The only 4-season tyres that might fit that have a higher load rating are 225/70 R15 112R, which are cheaper than their 215 equivalent.  I don't know why.  For Michelin this applies to both their CP and C 4-season tyres.  For Continental it only applies to their 4-season C tyres as currently they don't seem to supply a 225/70 R15 CP tyre.  Both Michelin and Continental said their 4-season 215 CP tyres were more suitable for my coach built than their 4-season 225 C tyres, which have the higher load rating and lower ground and tyre pressures particularly at the rear.  I assume Michelin's 225/70 R15 112R CP 4-season tyre would be even more suitable if it fits.  It's cheaper than their 215 CP tyre and not much more expensive than Continental's 215 CP tyre.  Any 215/70 R15 109R C tyre would be cheaper but much less suitable for my coach built.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:45 pm

IanH wrote:Peter,  that makes them 12 yrs old?
Really should be changed at 7 yrs, my MOT guy is giving verbal advisories re that now.... scratch head
Mine are now 11 years old, loads of meat on them but I have decided to ditch them and get new on age alone. Should have done it before really. Of of course motorhomes tend to spend a lot more time than commercials sitting around, not sure if that makes a difference?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:13 pm

The tyres were changed 2 years ago, for same Continental Four Season Cs.

Age of tyres is not a MOT item except for commercial and minibuses, 10 year max or a MOT Fail. Condition of tyres is a different matter.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:23 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:

The tyres were changed 2 years ago, for same Continental Four Season Cs.

Age of tyres is not a MOT item except for commercial and minibuses, 10 year max or a MOT Fail. Condition of tyres is a different matter.
Sorry for any confusion Peter, but this  is what your post said, which I understood to be that your's were now 12....

My Gloucester has C tyres all season tyres (Continental) fitted from the factory, 121 load rating, 10 ply. scratch head scratch head
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:34 pm

Shopping around today I was shocked at the cost of tyres now, we have continental vanco
fourseasons 235/65 R 16C (121N) and the best price I could find fitted locally is £220 each. The originals (same tyre) have done 31000 miles and still have loads of tread but are being replaced based on age alone.
Don't mind the cost so much just want to be sure I have the best possible tyres for comfort and handling available.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:52 pm

Have a look at the new four season2 vanco tyres a bit cheaper

Male

groundhog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:15 am

Excellent conversation with Continental technical, seems the vancofourseasons was replaced with the vancontact4seasons and new out recently is the vanco all seasons ultra! All come in 10 ply and have the 3 peak symbol. The latest one seems to have a more resistant to scuff side wall but I wonder if that makes it stiffer!
Confusion continues to reign!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down