The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheap as chips security

+3
Cymro
Richard G
Peterm
7 posters

Go down

Cheap as chips security Empty Cheap as chips security

Post by Peterm Thu May 11, 2023 6:28 pm

Worried about overnight break ins at dodgy overnight stops in France I investigated the Security marketplace. All the solutions seemed very pricy and not that secure. So here is my solution for total security for the price of 8 bamboo sticks and 8 postit no

First the cab doors. The lock will not turn if the button beneath the window cannot rise. So, Jamb a 2foot length of wood between the top of the locking button and the top of the door jamb. Two sticks, two doors. Secure as can be to all silent methods of entry.

Habitation door. Put a stout piece of wood across the door through the loop in the handle.

Windows. Need 4 sticks for this. Put a piece of wood across the window holding the side opening handles closed. For total security put a wire loop, or a rubber band around  the handles.

Work Heki security out for your selves. A loop of wire will do to limit the opening.

Next take 7 post it notes. Draw little locks on them that can be seen from outside, and attach them to the sticks.

Happy holidays

PeterM
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Cheap as chips security Empty Re: Cheap as chips security

Post by Richard G Thu May 11, 2023 10:56 pm

Where can you stow them when travelling?
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu May 11, 2023 11:30 pm

Bags of room in a NuevoES. THanks for the ideas, Peterm.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Fri May 12, 2023 8:37 am

Anything that helps you sleep better is great!

I have to say however that when I scrapped an old Adria caravan years ago I was amazed how easy it was to just rip the plastic windows out, literally singlehanded. With my last Coachman almost any key of roughly the right physical size would open the plastic door lock. The big security advantages of a PVC over a coachbuilt are the steel body throughout, proper door locks and, with an Autosleeper, the glass windows. We do have plastic skylights but only one is big enough to get through. We would never consider sleeping in the caravans anywhere other than on sites but are perfectly happy to sleep wild in the PVC.

Perhaps leave a couple of size 12 dog bowls outside the door?
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri May 12, 2023 10:52 am

Peterm wrote:Worried about overnight break ins at dodgy overnight stops in France I investigated the Security marketplace. All the solutions seemed very pricy and not that secure. So here is my solution for total security for the price of 8 bamboo sticks and 8 postit no

First the cab doors. The lock will not turn if the button beneath the window cannot rise. So, Jamb a 2foot length of wood between the top of the locking button and the top of the door jamb. Two sticks, two doors. Secure as can be to all silent methods of entry.

Habitation door. Put a stout piece of wood across the door through the loop in the handle.

Windows. Need 4 sticks for this. Put a piece of wood across the window holding the side opening handles closed. For total security put a wire loop, or a rubber band around  the handles.

Work Heki security out for your selves. A loop of wire will do to limit the opening.

Next take 7 post it notes. Draw little locks on them that can be seen from outside, and attach them to the sticks.

Happy holidays

PeterM

If I had to do this every night to make sure that nobody could get in, the Wife would soon have us back in Blighty up!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

bikeralw and Caraman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri May 12, 2023 1:16 pm

Over the last 15 years we've stopped in hundreds of aires and other overnight stopover places on the continent, from busy town centre market squares (Bayeux being one that springs to mind), to deep dark woodlands or deserted beaches.
Never have we felt the need to do anything other than lock the doors. 
If a location has the feel of being unsafe we move on before bedding down time.
Anyhow, the Nuevo is a small van, it's not like anyone is going to quietly break into the west wing while we're asleep in the east wing..

But each to their own, I'm not knocking it if it helps some sleep soundly, we have motorhoming friends our age who would never dream of staying anywhere other than a secure site, preferably with a barrier that's locked at night.
About 10% of all our nights away are spent on sites.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon May 15, 2023 10:53 pm

The Bargee wrote:

........With my last Coachman almost any key of roughly the right physical size would open the plastic door lock.......
In the 1970's I used to go to car auctions. So as not to bother the auctioneer staff I would take a FS933 key with me that fits every BL /Austin / Morris car. In any case, to drive off in an original mini you only need to open the bonnet from outside (no inside release) and stick a 3d bit in the fuse box, stick a short piece of tube over the door handle and lean downwards, get in the driver's seat, push the starter button on the floor, and drive off.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon May 15, 2023 11:01 pm

bikeralw wrote:Over the last 15 years we've stopped in hundreds of aires and other overnight stopover places on the continent, from busy town centre market squares (Bayeux being one that springs to mind), to deep dark woodlands or deserted beaches.
Never have we felt the need to do anything other than lock the doors. ..

About 10% of all our nights away are spent on sites.
Al.
Same here. Last year we spent 5 weeks going down the Romantic Road in Germany to see the Passion Play in Oberammergau. If it hadn't been for the fact that I booked two nights at a camp site in Oberammergau, our total 'sites' costs would have amounted to 30cents a night. That was the cost of the 100 litre water fills at €1 each and some toilet dumps at the same price. Anything over a week's holiday is cheaper in Europe than in this country (assuming site fees of £25 a night, you can get a return ferry for that ). Here you just cannot get water, although you can dump your cassette in a public toilet (I am assuming that we all use bio toilet fluid, if anything).
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down