The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Number Plate

+2
Dave Gee
Richard G
6 posters

Go down

Rear Number Plate Empty Rear Number Plate

Post by Richard G Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:46 pm

I have just fitted a Fiamma Ultrabox to my Broadway EL.
Does anybody know the official regulations ref number plate which is below the box?

I think that there is a regulation defining how far back and at what height the no plate should be visible/readable by a speed camera.

I may have to affix a number plate to box which will then of course require a light.

The other lights ,brakes, indicators, and sidelights are not affected.

Any info appreciated. I assume same rules would apply on European roads.
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Rear Number Plate Empty Re: Rear Number Plate

Post by Dave Gee Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:54 pm

Have a look here - it might help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:48 pm

I can't find anything specific but have assumed it must be visible above from a motorway bridge and should probably be visible through an angle from above of at least 15 degrees which is the minimum requirement for rear lights.  I would say, if in doubt fit a lighting board for peace of mind.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:36 am

Do not worry about it , we had a back box on the Autotrail Cheyenne for 9 years or there abouts that was about 18 inch above the number plate , if it could be read at the normal eye sight test distance stood up it was ok for me , never had a pull and never mentioned on the MOT test

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:27 pm

Thanks for all input.

Decided just to fix a number plate on back of box, shows willingness to comply!
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:15 pm

You might get away with this as it sounds logical and sensible but as far as I can see 'The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001' and 'The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989' require it to be lit.  It might be best to fit a lighting board which is easy to do and cheap.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:06 pm

The 2001 Regulations require the registration mark to be easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having a diagonal length between 22 meters and 18.2 meters depending on the size/spacing of the letters/numbers.  I don't know what this means but if the 'relevant area' is immediately behind the rear number plate and a rear box or something else overhangs the number plate, the number plate may not be easily distinguishable within that area.  You could seek advice from your local traffic police headquarters/department.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:38 pm

Caraman wrote:The 2001 Regulations require the registration mark to be easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having a diagonal length between 22 meters and 18.2 meters depending on the size/spacing of the letters/numbers.  I don't know what this means but if the 'relevant area' is immediately behind the rear number plate and a rear box or something else overhangs the number plate, the number plate may not be easily distinguishable within that area.  You could seek advice from your local traffic police headquarters/department.

Interpretation of Part II

4.  In this Part the following expressions shall have the following meanings—

“diagonal length”, in relation to a relevant area, means the length of a line drawn diagonally across the square enclosing the area (so that the extent of the relevant area is thereby delimited);

“relevant area”, in relation to a registration plate, means the area contained in a square described on the ground—
    (a)

in front of the vehicle in the case of a plate fixed on the front of the vehicle, and
    (b)

behind the vehicle in the case of a plate fixed on the rear of the vehicle,

where one corner of the square is immediately below the middle of the plate and the diagonal of the square from that corner is parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle;

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:46 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:

Interpretation of Part II

4.  In this Part the following expressions shall have the following meanings—

“diagonal length”, in relation to a relevant area, means the length of a line drawn diagonally across the square enclosing the area (so that the extent of the relevant area is thereby delimited);

“relevant area”, in relation to a registration plate, means the area contained in a square described on the ground—
    (a)

in front of the vehicle in the case of a plate fixed on the front of the vehicle, and
    (b)

behind the vehicle in the case of a plate fixed on the rear of the vehicle,

where one corner of the square is immediately below the middle of the plate and the diagonal of the square from that corner is parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle;
Yes, I read all that. 
Can't pretend I understand it though. 
Care to translate it into a diagram?

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:01 am

If a cop car is behind you at the distance required to read  number plate and they can read it you are fine, don't worry about reading the number plates from bridges, you will be OK , if your number plate  is manufactured in accordance with the law you will be OK, stop worrying

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:33 am

FreelanderUK wrote:If a cop car is behind you at the distance required to read  number plate and they can read it you are fine, don't worry about reading the number plates from bridges, you will be OK , if your number plate  is manufactured in accordance with the law you will be OK, stop worrying
The OP was asking about the regulations which we are trying to answer.  He was not asking about the likelihood of being stopped by the police.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:44 am

rogerblack wrote:
Yes, I read all that. 
Can't pretend I understand it though. 
Care to translate it into a diagram?
I couldn't understand this either.  Maybe try asking one of the motoring, caravan or motorhome organisations.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:49 am

Caraman wrote:
The OP was asking about the regulations which we are trying to answer.  He was not asking about the likelihood of being stopped by the police.

You gave him the regulations and didn’t understand them your self so what good was that , we can all copy and paste from a google search, I had a box fitted which from  above you could not see the numberplate , the van passed a MOT test every year so no problem , if his number plate can be read from the required distance he is ok and no need to worry

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:58 am

FreelanderUK wrote:

You gave him the regulations and didn’t understand them your self so what good was that , we can all copy and paste from a google search, I had a box fitted which from  above you could not see the numberplate , the van passed a MOT test every year so no problem , if his number plate can be read from the required distance he is ok and no need to worry
I did say '...trying to answer...'.  Not understanding a regulation is not a reason for ignoring it.  Far better to gain the knowledge to understand it which is what this forum is about.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:18 am

Caraman wrote:The 2001 Regulations require the registration mark to be easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having a diagonal length between 22 meters and 18.2 meters depending on the size/spacing of the letters/numbers.  I don't know what this means but if the 'relevant area' is immediately behind the rear number plate and a rear box or something else overhangs the number plate, the number plate may not be easily distinguishable within that area.  You could seek advice from your local traffic police headquarters/department.

I interpret this as the roughly drawn diagram below, if the plate can be read from these distances when the diagonal lines form a square , 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:34 am

I think it means from anywhere within that area.  So if standing (not lying in the prone position) close to the back of the van, the plate cannot be read due to an overhanging load its a breach of the regulation but I might be wrong.   Interestingly, I judged that my loaded bike rack did not adversely affect observation of my rear number plate but it did obscure my tail lights which the regulations require to be visible from 45 degrees on each side.  For this reason only, I fit a lighting board whenever I am carrying bikes and it comes with an illuminated rear number plate.  I also fit a marker board for good measure which is mandatory in some countries.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down