The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awning 12v motor wiring routes

2 posters

Go down

Awning 12v motor wiring routes Empty Awning 12v motor wiring routes

Post by KMRTOPAZ Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:26 pm

I am currently installing a 12v drive-motor on a 2013 VW Topaz T5, (AS Job No.P5051) The task is quite straight forward until it comes to routing a four-core flex (10mm diam.) between the motor location (aft end of awning) and the control switch under the single rear passenger seat.
This would normally be a route entering the plastic roof section and down behind the vanity cupboard and the basin to a point where it can turn forward to the switch area. The latter section is already routed and carries a 12v supply cable.
I have spent the equivalent of two full days trying to find a way through the first "vertical" 10 inches. 

If any one has already solved this problem, I would be grateful for their advice.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Awning 12v motor wiring routes Empty Re: Awning 12v motor wiring routes

Post by IanH Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:36 pm

Keith

Is there a possible way downwards by removing the bathroom sliding door which, as you well know, lives in a gap between 2 bulkheads?

The cable from the motor at the aft end of the awning will need to pass through the grp roof section, but could the hole for that be directly outwards from the door cavity? Once through into the cavity it could then run vertically to floor level then through another hole in the fwd half of the door bulkhead, through the base / back of the cooker unit to emerge just behind the front n/s seat?.

To do the drilling would need a long drill, but any metal shop would weld a drill bit onto a bit of 6mm bar, I'd do 2, one 3mm and one 11mm. Do the 3mm one first, an easy hole to plug if all wrong, then, if ok, open it to 11mm for your 10mm cable.

I'd then consider hot melt glue on short runs, say 25mm to push the cable to the rear of the door cavity to keep it clear of the opened door??

Be a lot easier to see if you were here or I was in Sandbach!!

Take my hat off to a 90 yr old doing this I'm a lot younger and struggle with all the bending and kneeling now!

Good Luck
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:47 pm

Thanks Ian, but the problem is quite literally the first vertical ten inches from the point adjacent to the awning motor.  I'm considering a couple of grams of Semtex
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:57 pm

Having looked at some more pics, the motor really is way aft, further than I initially thought. 
However, that doesn't mean that the cable has to enter the roof moulding right there, it could be routed behind the main body of the awning then penetrating the roof moulding at a convenient point, such as, perhaps, the gap between the door bulkheads. The cable could be hidden behind the awning body between its back and the roof moulding??
Just aft of the aft end of the closed side door, above that point and behind the awning??
Be easier seen than explained I suspect....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:36 pm

Yes Ian, That's a possibility worth exploring, Thanks
Keith