The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tow Hitch for the Bourton

+5
Boggie
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
Bilbobaggins
lucasg
9 posters

Go down

Tow Hitch for the Bourton Empty Tow Hitch for the Bourton

Post by lucasg Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:52 am

I’m thinking of towing a car with my 2015 Bourton. Manual advises I contact Autosleepers for advice on this. I have just done this and been passed pillar to post. Firstly advised to contact “weights and measures” or Watling. Rang Watling .. they are permanently closed now.
I am thinking of using Towtal..they seem to have a good reputation.
The manual advises I contact AS as the waste tank and/or fuel tank may need shielding. I’m reasonably sure the fuel tank is not an issue.
I would be grateful for any advice from here or anybody who has a tow hitch for a car pull on a Bourton.

Last edited by lucasg on Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
lucasg
lucasg

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Tow Hitch for the Bourton Empty Re: Tow Hitch for the Bourton

Post by Bilbobaggins Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:00 am

Can't answer directly but recall seeing several threads on this before, worth using search facility at top of page and similar topics links below your  new thread

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:25 am

I have a Towtal bar on my MB based Gloucester, never had any problems with it. The Sprinter fuel tank is under the passenger seat so not a problem. Can't say for Bourton water tank, but not a problem with my tank.

Tow Hitch for the Bourton P1020113

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by lucasg Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:29 am

Thanks for the replies so far. I have used the search facility and nothing has been returned of relevance, and this might suggest it’s not possible. I have phoned Witter technical and they don’t know but confirm they only provide a hitch for the Broadford.
lucasg
lucasg

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:47 am

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

lucasg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Boggie Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:59 pm

I looked into this with my own Bourton, a 2019 model
 After contacting several suppliers who all didn't  want to do it the advice was that it is not possible, mainly because of the waste water tank which is 1metre long, the same width as the chassis rails and its not possible
to get the mounting legs in place either side of the tank. Going under the tank would result in the mounting frame being too close to the ground. I guess that a shorter waste water tank could be fitted but that is yet more expense.
Watling were the only firm that said they could fit a towbar, but at £2000, and I would have to lose the rear stabilisers in the process.
In the end I decided against it. £2k for the towbar, £1k for a new A frame, £3k to £4k for a decent tow vehicle made it unviable for the   milage a towcar will do annually. You can get a lot of hire cars or taxis for £6k to £7k so that's what we do.
If you plant to go abroad Into Europe, you will need to put your tow car on a trailer, which must also be insured and type approved, which will increase outfit length and travel costs. Like everything else with motorhoming. There's  a compromise to be considered.
Your decision.
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

lucasg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:11 am

Hi Everyone
          We had a AS Surrey and AS Gloucester both fitted with towbars from Watling it is a pity they have stopped trading. The chassis rails on the Mercredes need extending,the water tank on the Gloucester fitted between the chassis rails but the rear steadies could not be used. Watling did custom made towbars but this may not be allowed now
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Tow Hitch for the Bourton Empty TOW HITCH ON A BOURTON

Post by WANDERING DAVE Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:31 pm

I have a 2022 Bourton, like you I wanted to fit a tow hitch and I was told it could not be done.
Something to do with the chassis on the Bourton, it has been extended. So, in the end I gave up.
I will watch this topic with interest.
WANDERING DAVE
WANDERING DAVE

Male

Auto-Sleeper : BOURTON
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:55 am

lucasg wrote:I’m thinking of towing a car with my 2015 Bourton. Manual advises I contact Autosleepers for advice on this. I have just done this and been passed pillar to post. Firstly advised to contact “weights and measures” or Watling. Rang Watling .. they are permanently closed now.
I am thinking of using Towtal..they seem to have a good reputation.
The manual advises I contact AS as the waste tank and/or fuel tank may need shielding. I’m reasonably sure the fuel tank is not an issue.
I would be grateful for any advice from here or anybody who has a tow hitch for a car pull on a Bourton.
As you live in the NW, it might help to contact Mike Parkinson at http://motorhometowbarslancashire.co.uk/. He knows a lot about motorhome towbars and a chat might help.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway

lucasg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ourannie Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:19 pm

Hi, try giving ARMITAGES a ring at Ferrybridge, they did a really good job fitting the tow hitch  on our 2019 Bourton and later converting the car. Nice people to deal with, they made an extension. The tow hitch was arranged through SMC but we took the car to them.
ourannie
ourannie

Female

Vehicle Year : 2019

lucasg likes this post

Back to top Go down