The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a towbar to a Bourton

4 posters

Go down

Fitting a towbar to a Bourton Empty Fitting a towbar to a Bourton

Post by Boggie Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:43 pm

Hi,
I am thinking of having a towbar fitted to our 2019 Bourton. Has anyone any advice on what the cost is and which supplier to recommend?
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Fitting a towbar to a Bourton Empty Re: Fitting a towbar to a Bourton

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:58 pm

cant give you a recommendation on that  - we had one fitted to our 2019 broadway EB - and what we didnt factor in was how much it ate into the payload - we are new to motorhomes and it just didnt enter our thinking - but worth thinking about
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:40 am

Hi
  You will need Chassis extensions, You have I think two main choices Armitage Towbars who are in Yorkshire or Watling Towbars who are near St Albans they custom make them I have used them twice there only downside is that the powder coat paint finish did not last very well.
regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Boggie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Fitting a towbar to a Bourton Empty My tow bar fitting costs

Post by Jack Lee 2 Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:50 am

Hi
We had one fitted to our 2019 Bourton on a Sprinter, the cost was £700 plus we had a crash bar fitted at the same time cost £100. The guy works from home and has a very large workshop on the side of the house, Kirkham Lancs, he also supplied a loan car for the day, (does some work for local motorhome dealers) in at 9am ready for 3pm.

We have a 2 ton towing payload on the Sprinter and tow a VW Polo Mk6 wt 1.1 total payload 1.6 so it gives us some extra storage while towing. The A-frame from Towtal Stoke is plated at 1.75, it's a bit of a beast but very substantial around 28 kg total cost £1200 for car conversion and A-frame in at 7am ready for 3pm. 

Total cost £2000 for the 2 jobs.

Prices going back about 14 months, very pleased with the work and still managed to clock up a good few towing miles in the last 12 months. Drawbacks you cannot reverse, takes 2 of you to work the system smoothly, Setup started about 20 minutes now down to 5 minutes, my wife's job is the car I do the A-frame. It does add to the mileage on the car while towing or it does on our car may not all be the same?
Jack Lee 2
Jack Lee 2

Male

Boggie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Boggie Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:03 pm

gemdeco wrote:Hi
  You will need Chassis extensions, You have I think two main choices Armitage Towbars who are in Yorkshire or Watling Towbars who are near St Albans they custom make them I have used them twice there only downside is that the powder coat paint finish did not last very well.
regards
Alan
Thanks Alan, this is very useful,
I know Ferrybridge well, having lived in the area as a kid, Armitages has great feedback & reviews, so I’ll give them a try when I get the Bourton on the road next month.
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Back to top Go down