The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floe Motorhome Draindown Kit

5 posters

Go down

Floe Motorhome Draindown Kit   Empty Floe Motorhome Draindown Kit

Post by Apple Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:39 am

I saw an ad for the above. They are about £50. I thought with the motion of the van on return from site with all the taps/drains open would empty the tank and lines.

Would any one recommend the kit or is it overkill?

Apple
Apple
Apple
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Floe Motorhome Draindown Kit   Empty Re: Floe Motorhome Draindown Kit

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:56 am

Leaving a trail of grey water as you leave a site will not gain you any fans.

We've been caravanning and motorhoming for 50 years and haven't yet felt the need to either drain water onto the road or to fork out £50 for a kit but it's your money.  shrugg
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Bilbobaggins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:59 am

I don't have the Floe and would be interested to hear from someone who does.  I store my van tipped to the off-side, primarily to stop rainwater pooling on the roof.  This also means that the Truma drain valve and the fresh and waste water tank drains, which are all on the off-side, are as low as they can be which helps significantly with the draindown.  I pump air into each of my taps with a bicycle pump with the Truma valve open and the other taps closed.  This dislodges more water through the Truma valve and should remove all traces from the taps.  I also pump air through the Shurflo, which you can't do with a Whale submersible, and remove the Shurflo's filter which ensures no water is trapped in the pipe going into the freshwater tank.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:12 am

Tinwheeler wrote:Leaving a trail of grey water as you leave a site will not gain you any fans.

We've been caravanning and motorhoming for 50 years and haven't yet felt the need to either drain water onto the road or to fork out £50 for a kit but it's your money.  shrugg
I agree with the grey water but that's got nothing to do with the Floe.  I always open the Truma valve and leave it open before starting the journey home.  Most of the 10 litres of water from the Combi tank drains onto the pitch and the rest drains onto the road as we drive along.  Providing the water isn't hot, it does no harm and is probably less in volume than the pooled rainwater that comes off the roof of the van.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:37 am

Tinwheeler wrote:Leaving a trail of grey water as you leave a site will not gain you any fans.

~Hi Tinwheeler - I always drain my tank before leaving the site at their facilities but there will always be a residual amount in the pipes so I'm not 'draining' onto the road it's just the little bit left in the pipes.
Apple
Apple
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

rgermain and Caraman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:11 am

Grey water or fresh water?
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:37 am

Apple wrote:

~Hi Tinwheeler - I always drain my tank before leaving the site at their facilities but there will always be a residual amount in the pipes so I'm not 'draining' onto the road it's just the little bit left in the pipes.
I agree but that's not the way I read your earlier post.

Do you drain your tanks every time you leave a site? We only ever drain the grey tank when needed and the fresh tank at the end of the season.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:03 pm

Hi ,its the fresh water draining before winter , I just use a cheap shower adaptor and blow down the taps until there is no water in the system.....simples!!! Regards     Paul wave
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:27 pm

I think there are 3 issues.  Draining down the grey water tank, draining down the fresh water tank and draining down the internal water hot and cold water system which is what the Floe is all about.  I normally do all 3 prior to my drive home at the end of a trip, regardless of the season.  As I approach the end of a stay on a pitch, I allow the fresh water tank to rundown.  If there is any water left in it, I pump it out through the kitchen sink and hand basin, especially if the water in the Combi is still hot.  My grey water tank drain is open so it goes straight into my bucket, flushing debris out of the grey water tank as it does so.  I dispose of the grey water in my bucket into a hedgerow if allowed.  If this is not allowed, I take it to a grey water disposal point.  I then turn off the internal pump, open the Truma drain valve and open all taps.  10 or so litres of cold fresh water will then spill out over the gas tank onto the pitch. As its a slow drain, sometimes when I drive off it is still draining.  I did this for 25 years with my caravan before every journey and it does no harm.  I rarely use motorhome service points even if the site has them.  My preference is to fill the fresh water tank with a hose if the pitch has a tap or from a water barrel.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down