The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running repairs

2 posters

Go down

Running repairs Empty Running repairs

Post by groundhog Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:43 pm

Just back from three fab weeks in France, everything on the van worked perfectly, weather was great and only a few squeaky moments after Orla the TomTom girl sent us down narrow roads.
How come then I have a list of nearly 20 things that I want to improve or fix on the van before the next trip. Some are expensive like 4 new tyres and others just tightening and lubricating things. How do people manage if they have no practical skills at all, just wondering or is it just me. up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Running repairs Empty Re: Running repairs

Post by Bilbobaggins Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:21 am

Forums like this one and You tube help cack handed numpties like me tackle things that I wouldn't have tried previously, although I didn't have a motorhome to play with when I was working.

Other big difference is when working I was money rich and time poor whereas now I am time rich, so what if it took me two hours to swap from Whale pump to Shutflo (plus several hours if research online and asking silly questions of others). I know A/S could have fitted the Shutflo in about an hour but doing it and other simple tasks saves money

Key thing is knowing your limits. Having read and researched I know which jobs I am willing to tackle and those where I still will pay those with more skills, knowledge or experience. No different to house DIY really.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Cymro and phillips like this post

Back to top Go down

Running repairs Empty Re: Running repairs

Post by Guest Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:27 am

groundhog wrote:Just back from three fab weeks in France, everything on the van worked perfectly, weather was great and only a few squeaky moments after Orla the TomTom girl sent us down narrow roads.
How come then I have a list of nearly 20 things that I want to improve or fix on the van before the next trip. Some are expensive like 4 new tyres and others just tightening and lubricating things. How do people manage if they have no practical skills at all, just wondering or is it just me. up!
I used to find when teaching others I had to keep reminding myself it may be easy for me but it isn't for them. Flashing around on the keyboard or with the mouse without actually explaining and giving time to ask questions is essential.

With a new task it obviously helps if to understand what it is you are doing from 1st principles. In Bilbo's example you work out what is the water inlet and outlet, which is the power lead and return but what turns it on and off? The Shurflo has its own switch but where is the original switch?

I had a very good grounding in most technologies as an apprentice which means after a bit of research I can work out what I am going to do.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down