The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Omnistor tension rafter

+2
burlingtonboaby
brains
6 posters

Go down

Omnistor tension rafter Empty Omnistor tension rafter

Post by brains Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:18 pm

My Nuevo is fitted with a 3m 6300 Omnistor awning.  Has anyone tried the G2 tension rafter, and is it worth buying?

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Omnistor tension rafter Empty Re: Omnistor tension rafter

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:37 pm

IMO yes, had one on my Nuevo/Sigma and now on my Warwick (Thule)
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:55 pm

Yes I have tried it.  I bought one to go in the centre of my 6200 awning which put it out of action for the best part of a year!  I eventually had my 6200 replaced with a 6300 under warranty for which you need these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They work very well, are easy to fit and take up no space.  They are standard on larger 6300s.  I don't know why they are not standard on the smaller 6300s.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:06 am

a clearer photo from the Thule website:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:12 am

Without the rafter and setting the awning as a slope, water can pond and the weight break the frame of the awning. This does happen.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:20 am

Peter Brown wrote:Without the rafter and setting the awning as a slope, water can pond and the weight break the frame of the awning. This does happen.
The 6300 tension arm isn't a rafter but tensions the awning fabric just as the G2 rafters would.  Either way, I find with the fabric tensioned and the natural steepness of the awning fitted to the Nuevo, no water pools on it.  Thule recommend having one awning pole lower than the other to facilitate rain runoff but so far I haven't found this necessary when the tension arm is fitted.

The 6300 tension arm is cheaper than the G2 rafter, especially as two of the latter are required for the short awning fitted to the Nuevo.  As I found out, there isn't enough space for one G2 rafter in the centre of the awning.

Last edited by Caraman on Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:34 am

I purchased a sun blocker for my Thule which comes with a side rafter to thread into. This makes the canopy rigid and is easy to fit so use it now even without the side panel. 
So IMO it improves structural rigidity if that is the aim.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:48 am

The rafters for the side panels are more expensive than the G2.  I agree that one either side of the awning fitted into the existing sockets will do a good job but I still recommend having the tension arms which brace the two folding rafters without the use of additional rafters.  These are not available for the 6200 but are for the 6300.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brains Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:22 pm

That’s great. I wasn’t aware of the Tension arm, so now ordered from Rose Awnings.  Many thanks all.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:38 pm

Side rafters really tighten up the awning, I have them on our Thule rain blockers .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:19 pm

As others have said, you get a tension rafter with the side panels. I got a side panel for one side (to act as a wind block and a rain shelter for the door) and a G2 for the other side.

These make a huge difference to the solidity of the whole awning - its much more rigid, allows the fabric to be pulled taut to reduce flaming, and feels generally much more secure.
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:41 pm

When I briefly used one G2 in the centre of my 6200 it made a big difference, so I can imagine one each side would be even better.  When my 6200 was replaced with a 6300, I had a choice of buying a second G2, so I could use one each side or buying the tension arms.  I did the latter which was also advised by Thule and Rose Awnings.  Not only were the tension arms cheaper, they folded out of the way when the awning was rolled in which is better than storing 4 x 4' 6'' poles in the outside locker.  The tension arms work on a different principle to the G2 rafters.  You roll out the awning as normal and then fold out the tension arms which push the awning rail and folding rafters out as far as they will go thereby tensioning the fabric.  The tension arms lock in place preventing the folding rafters from retracting.  To release the tension arms, you roll out the awning so the fabric goes slack.  Then you can fold the tension arms back and roll in the awning.  As you will know, with the G2 you have to roll the awning in until the G2 springs reach their stops and then roll it out to release the G2 before the awning can be put away.  There's not much in it but I reckon you get an extra inch or so of awning with the tension arm method.  I now have a redundant G2 rafter should anyone want to buy it from me.  Alternatively, I could just keep it on the off chance I decide to do what you have done and fit a side panel.  As you have said, the side panel comes with one (more expensive) rafter which has to be balanced with a second rafter on the opposite side, which could be the one for a second panel or just a G2 on its own.  For most of last year I wasn't able to use my 6200 awning due to the damage caused to it by my centre mounted G2.  It was a real pleasure to start using my new 6300 awning this year with its tension arms.  Such was the improvement over the old 6200, I was confident leaving the awning out overnight and when we went out for walks.  Had it been very windy, we would still have rolled it in.  All the new A-S models now come with the 6300 and the longer ones have the tension arms as standard.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:16 pm

Unfortunately, the tension arms did not fit my awning - besides, I wanted the side panel. I agree, though, if you are only looking to add rigidity to the awning and not add panels, the tension arm seem to make more sense..........
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down