The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reversing camera up high or down low

4 posters

Go down

reversing camera up high or down low  Empty reversing camera up high or down low

Post by robbymax Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:01 pm

Hello i have bought a rear view camera and i cant make up my mind, camera up high or camera low down low  what do you think i have never fitted one before on a car it is under the boot lid, where do you think it should go
robbymax
robbymax

Male

Auto-Sleeper : DEVON
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

reversing camera up high or down low  Empty Re: reversing camera up high or down low

Post by inspiredron Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:54 pm

Up high every time. That is the only way to see how close you are to whatever you are backing towards. I made the mistake of fitting one low down and it showed what was behind but with no re idea of how close. I assume that your single camera is a wide angle view.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

RogerThat, IanH and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

reversing camera up high or down low  Empty Re: reversing camera up high or down low

Post by RogerThat Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:53 am

I have to agree with InspiredRon here, mine is mounted high and points directly down and I can reverse to within about an inch or two of something quite safely.

If it was mounted low and pointing outwards I'd have no idea how near or far away from the fence or wall I'd be.
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:17 am

Look at these....
High, obviously.
Keep clean, get wet when it rains, we have coated the lenses with RAINEX (google it)
Easy to clean too as we have the rear ladder
Middle pic is the aft facing one now our "rear view mirror" always on as long as the switch is on
Lower pic looks odd but the camera is seeing the gravel on our drive, you can see the ladder clearly. As Roger says we can get to 1" from a wall or obstacle.
Another advantage of the 2 cams is that the rear view one, approaching in reverse a fence, for example, also sees high obstructions on the fence.

This whole set up less than £80btw and works perfectly!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down