The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reversing camera

+9
KMRTOPAZ
Mids
rgermain
burlingtonboaby
Gromit
Lucyc1937
SteveMichelleBaylis
inspiredron
RCBirmingham
13 posters

Go down

Reversing camera Empty Reversing camera

Post by RCBirmingham Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:56 pm

I'm picking up my 2020 Brodway in a couple of weeks, does any body know if it's possible to set the reverse camera to be on all the time as a 'rear view mirror'?
RCBirmingham
RCBirmingham

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Reversing camera Empty Re: Reversing camera

Post by inspiredron Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:40 am

The monitor may have an on off button or a remote control. You can use either to switch on while travelling forwards. What can be disconcerting is that switching off the ignition while in reverse may have the effect of locking the camera on when you next start up

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Reversing camera Empty Thanks

Post by SteveMichelleBaylis Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:51 am

inspiredron wrote:The monitor may have an on off button or a remote control. You can use either to switch on while travelling forwards. What can be disconcerting is that switching off the ignition while in reverse may have the effect of locking the camera on when you next start up
I thought it might be a setting on the camera, i'll have a play when I pick it up, hopefully the dealer will know.. just hate the thought of not having a rear view..
SteveMichelleBaylis
SteveMichelleBaylis

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucyc1937 Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:01 am

you can see to rear through mirror screen, better waiting until you get it and looking at it then, enjoy your new Broadway, 
LucyC

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:05 am

Hi and Welcome.

Yes it is possible, and your dealer should be able to do it for you. It's just a matter of how it's wired in to the power.

If it's a single lens camera (and it will be, because A/S and most others don't fit expensive cameras as standard!) it will probably be a very wide angle view, so traffic to the rear will look much further away than it really is. You get used to it, but it's disconcerting.

The best option is a twin lens camera with a switchable button on the monitor. Ours switches automatically to the wide angle, downward pointing camera as you select reverse gear, but the button on the monitor gives manual control at any time if you want it.

Talk to your dealer . . . he may be able to fit one for you????
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:20 am

SteveMichelleBaylis wrote:
inspiredron wrote:The monitor may have an on off button or a remote control. You can use either to switch on while travelling forwards. What can be disconcerting is that switching off the ignition while in reverse may have the effect of locking the camera on when you next start up
I thought it might be a setting on the camera, i'll have a play when I pick it up, hopefully the dealer will know.. just hate the thought of not having a rear view..
Hi
Welcome to the forum from Bridington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:21 am

RCBirmingham wrote:I'm picking up my 2020 Brodway in a couple of weeks, does any body know if it's possible to set the reverse camera to be on all the time as a 'rear view mirror'?
Hi 
Welcome to the forum from Bridington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:27 am

When i took my test in a GPO Moggie van and looked in the mirror, I was told you are now in a van, use the external mirrors.

That is some thing I have never forgotten since 1964.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:45 am

Yes it can be rewired  by service department  so you can switch between av1 and av2. Having mine done at first habitation  check.told  a easy job.
Mids
Mids

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:25 pm

Richard. I drive a Warwick Duo. I also  have the same basic instinct to use the wing mirrors. However it's not possible to get a good rear view and something close behind can be totally invisible.  The reflection from the rear camera screen is also very poor.  I can sympathise with the views expressed above.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:26 am

KMRTOPAZ wrote:Richard. I drive a Warwick Duo. I also  have the same basic instinct to use the wing mirrors. However it's not possible to get a good rear view and something close behind can be totally invisible.  The reflection from the rear camera screen is also very poor.  I can sympathise with the views expressed above.
Keith
I find the reflection affects the mirror-monitor as well, so I keep the rear window blind closed when driving, it makes a huge difference & only the sky can be seen from the driving position anyway, the interior is not 'darkened' by doing this as the van has very large windows.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:15 am

In the Warwick Duo it is wired through the reversing light switch on the gearbox. When reverse is selected, this powers the camera which comes on. the wiring for this is under the step in the driver side footwell, and runs up the trim panel on the door frame. In there is a +ve which is live with ign on. If camera (red wire from memory, check with multimeter) is wired to that its on all the time the ign is on.

However if picking up a new van DON'T do any of this, get the dealer to do it!! up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:28 pm

modelman wrote:
KMRTOPAZ wrote:Richard. I drive a Warwick Duo. I also  have the same basic instinct to use the wing mirrors. However it's not possible to get a good rear view and something close behind can be totally invisible.  The reflection from the rear camera screen is also very poor.  I can sympathise with the views expressed above.
Keith
I find the reflection affects the mirror-monitor as well, so I keep the rear window blind closed when driving, it makes a huge difference & only the sky can be seen from the driving position anyway, the interior is not 'darkened' by doing this as the van has very large windows.
If your camera gives you a sufficiently good rear view then simply click the mirror "dip" lever so that the reflection misses the window. 
I have just fitted a twin camera setup to my Nuevo and the distance camera is SUPERB but in certain light the reflection reduces the clarity. You can set the click on the mirror so that in one position you can see the lower part of the rear of the van and in the other out of the rear window. A simple click swaps between the two, though you may have to switch off the monitor for a clear view of the floor at the back of the van

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Reversing camera Empty reversing camera

Post by CJ1949 Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:33 pm

With my 2019 Bourton after starting the vehicle, I simply press the remote and the reversing camera stays on and gives a good view behind when travelling. It was exactly the same with my 2016 Winchcomb
Its not so clear /good in heavy rain. But from pulling a caravan for many years I also rely on my mirrors.
CJ1949
CJ1949

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:01 pm

Learnt  something  today  with  the engine running  turned camera on with the remote control  and it stayed on when in first gear. . Then turned camera off put it in reverse  and it automatically  comes on. I did say previously  that it had to be rewired but not the case . Good news rcbimingham.(think my remote control battery  was not in right hence   camera only worked when put in reverse)
Mids
Mids

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:39 pm

This was a mod I done on my Fairford. Didn’t need to bother with the remote control again. Camera always on when engine running.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:26 pm

StewPotch wrote:This was a mod I done on my Fairford. Didn’t need to bother with the remote control again. Camera always on when engine running.

I just did this... it was pretty straightforward, and I now have the camera running when the engine is running. Thanks for sharing the link. 

I added a small rocker switch just below the Gasit indictor, just in case I want to power down the monitor while driving.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:37 pm

Pablotti wrote:
StewPotch wrote:This was a mod I done on my Fairford. Didn’t need to bother with the remote control again. Camera always on when engine running.

I just did this... it was pretty straightforward, and I now have the camera running when the engine is running. Thanks for sharing the link. 

I added a small rocker switch just below the Gasit indictor, just in case I want to power down the monitor while driving.
Yeah, I fitted a switch for motorway driving, etc - you can see it on my original post. Here’s another mod I carried out on my Fairford.

It also stored beer 😉
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down