The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms

+12
Greeves
pilchard
SENTINEL
peternb
Tinwheeler
MelB
Caraman
Cymro
BornAgain
Richard G
Gromit
RogerThat
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms - Page 2 Empty Re: Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:45 pm

pilchard wrote:This reminds me of a section there used to be in one of the old camping mags I used to buy from time to time. The section was called "Tenner for a Tip". It was an absolute hoot, because some of these tips... I suppose they call them hacks these days... were completely barmy. Turning empty toilet roll tubes into useless storage containers and 101 usefull things to do with an empty crisp packet, etc, etc. Most ideas though, like this table, we're relatively sane. The British spirit of invention, generously seasoned with a good dash of Heath-Robinson, fortunately lives on.

Well I look at it like this...... It is cold, wet and dark and some might say miserable this time of year so I made a little thing out of some wood, Shared it and people have read it and commented. If it has given a single person a moment of joy or an idea that is good in my book  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms - Page 2 Empty Re: Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:50 pm

Greeves wrote:In the current NUEVO both tables are stowed neatly in the wardrobe. Both are lightweight and easily erected, the larger is free standing and may be used inside or outside the van. So no need for DIY unless you want to construct a base to use the smaller table outside. QED.
 In our 2004 model we only have a single largish but light table stored very neatly in the wardrobe that can be used inside or out. Hence the construction of the world beating small, multi purpose Coffee table, foot supporting, seat traying, draught excluding miracle.. made at home for nothing and occupied an hour or so of a cold wet miserable day   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:49 pm

Yes, thank you Peternb - I do turn the heater to recirculating in winter. But the NuevoES (with the double bed over the luton) has a large volume behind the front seats, and that takes quite a time to warm up if starting from cold for a day trip. I gather that it is possible to have the Truma running whilst on the move, but I don't fancy it on safety and economic grounds. We find that a low-level barrier - instantly removeable so no impediment - helps considerably.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:08 pm

Nice that someone else has come up with this idea. For several years we've used a lipped wooden serving tray from a charity shop that I stuck two battens to the bottom to locate it on the armrests. I have to admit I pinched the idea after once seeing one between the seats in a non AS van.
It double up as a tray to carry things when we're eating outside.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:06 pm

bikeralw wrote:Nice that someone else has come up with this idea. For several years we've used a lipped wooden serving tray from a charity shop that I stuck two battens to the bottom to locate it on the armrests. I have to admit I pinched the idea after once seeing one between the seats in a non AS van.
It double up as a tray to carry things when we're eating outside.
Al.

Many thanks. It now has another use as a tray. So we have

1) Coffee Table
2) Seat tray
3) Foot support
4) Draught Excluder
5) Keeping her indoors map book flat when in the stored position behind the seat
6) Ordinary tray
7) lap tray to eat off
8) Lap writing table

There must be more

PS Patent Pending
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:33 pm

Cymro wrote:Yes, thank you Peternb - I do turn the heater to recirculating in winter. But the NuevoES (with the double bed over the luton) has a large volume behind the front seats, and that takes quite a time to warm up if starting from cold for a day trip. I gather that it is possible to have the Truma running whilst on the move, but I don't fancy it on safety and economic grounds. We find that a low-level barrier - instantly removeable so no impediment - helps considerably.

Cymro
I know your van is newer than mine but I cannot have my Truma working while driving unless I modify the wiring to give it a permanent 12V feed. On my van habitation electrics are switched off when the engine starts, presumably by the D+ hitting the EM50. There is also an irritating (?) safety feature that stops the Truma coming on if the 12V (or the mains) is interrupted while it is switched on.  The control has to be turned to OFF and then ON again to resume heating, thus effectively preventing the event timer in the Sargent EC328 from being used as a heating timer.  Maybe the EC500 control is different in that respect?

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:12 am

On the later models it is possible for the Truma heating to run on gas whilst driving.  I've experimented with it on the drive with the engine running but not found the need for it when driving, even when on one occasion travelling from home the outside temperature was minus 5 and the inside temperature at the start of the journey was minus 3.  With the help of the cab heater and the rising sun, the cab temperature rose steadily.  We find an advantage of travelling in the motorhome is that there is always a full range of clothing to wear which we have needed on occasions.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:55 am

Still not convinced of the safety of driving with any flame in operation................

As to clothing, we carry two serious anoraks which would near fill the wardrobe, in vacuum bags so about 1" thick and half anorak size, in the loft. Never been needed so far, but there if so.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:41 am

IanH wrote:Still not convinced of the safety of driving with any flame in operation................

As to clothing, we carry two serious anoraks which would near fill the wardrobe, in vacuum bags so about 1" thick and half anorak size, in the loft. Never been needed so far, but there if so.
The heating turns off automatically for short stops so its not on when refuelling but even so I think its safer for it not to be on in the first place especially if its not really needed.

We don't take heavy outdoor garments with us.  All we take in the summer and winter is a soft shell for when its dry and a hard shell for when its wet.  Neither are bulky or heavy.  For insulation both inside and outside, we wear cheap as chips layered micro fleeces and sometimes a hollow-fill sleeveless body warmer.  We have never been cold yet.

Last edited by Caraman on Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:24 am

Is Fred starting to Drift a little here
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by marianbretthill Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi there the small table idea is grand. The only thing is one armrest has bent and needs to attended to to make the idea work. Love DIY ideas well done.
marianbretthill
marianbretthill

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Peugot boxer Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:50 pm

marianbretthill wrote:Hi there the small table idea is grand. The only thing is one armrest has bent and needs to attended to to make the idea work. Love DIY ideas well done.
Are you sure it's bent and not just in need of adjustment by the thumb wheel on the underside of the arm?
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:01 pm

marianbretthill wrote:Hi there the small table idea is grand. The only thing is one armrest has bent and needs to attended to to make the idea work. Love DIY ideas well done.

I would be interested in how such an item could get bent
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2