The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms

+12
Greeves
pilchard
SENTINEL
peternb
Tinwheeler
MelB
Caraman
Cymro
BornAgain
Richard G
Gromit
RogerThat
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Empty Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:08 pm

When we go out in the Nuevo 2004 and we stop for a short while we do not bother to rotate the Drivers and Passenger Seats. I tend to sit behind the Drivers Seat. We don't bother to put the table up for such a short stop. In my sitting position I find I have no where to put down a coffee cup or indeed any glass or small plate. So the other day I gave this a little thought and Spotted the Arm rests which of course you can move up and down. I am a keen Diyer and have loads of materials stored away so off I went to to the workshop and I knocked up this. It is very simple (I like simple) and can be put into use in seconds, when not in use it fits perfectly behind the passengers seat. 

Here it is. I still have to put in the other 4 screws and cover it in some sticky backed plastic that I know I have somewhere and Job is a good'n. I also like things like this as they are totally removable and dont affect the van in any way.

If nothing else it was something to make while it is huzzing it down outside.

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Shelf_10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Empty Re: Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:09 pm

Here it is stowed away and turned over so you can see how it is made

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Shelf_11
Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Shelf_12
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Empty Re: Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:10 pm

I also noticed that when the seats are rotated you can even still use it by laying it on the seat and it gives a flat surface again to put a cup, Glass or plate etc on.

In this picture I have not bothered to Rotate the seat but you get the idea

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Shelf_13
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:14 pm

We also just realised that her indoors could also use it as a foot rest (with clean shoes of course) as the seat being raised as it is for the turn mechanism means that her legs are not quite long enough to reach the floor and be flat. The little raised podium would help as a rest just while travelling along. Not to put any weight on as such but just as a rest.

I should call it the Drinks Shelf, foot support multi purpose motor home accessory or something similar   hugegrins
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:49 pm

Managed to find the Sticky Backed Plastic. It was in a box in the shed with 'sticky Backed Plastic' written on it  hugegrins

Here it is covered. I am happy with it and so is Her indoors which is the most important thing. At the end of the day it is just some spare bits and pieces that I had left over that will serve a good purpose

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Covere10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:38 am

Great job allthumbz
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:26 am

Very neat.  up!

This is my solution for those who are not so much into DIY. It serves us well on many an occasion, and travels perfectly well behind the driver's seat while en route.

Ideal for stopping at a frites stall in France - assuming you can find one these days!  shrugg

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Table10
Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Leg10
Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms En_rou12
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

AJ222, Alf and bobby b like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:43 am

Gromit wrote:Very neat.  up!

This is my solution for those who are not so much into DIY. It serves us well on many an occasion, and travels perfectly well behind the driver's seat while en route.

Ideal for stopping at a frites stall in France - assuming you can find one these days!  shrugg

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Table10
Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Leg10
Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms En_rou12

Now that is excellent. Is it one you bought or made ?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:03 am

Bigplumbs wrote:Managed to find the Sticky Backed Plastic. It was in a box in the shed with 'sticky Backed Plastic' written on it  hugegrins

Here it is covered. I am happy with it and so is Her indoors which is the most important thing. At the end of the day it is just some spare bits and pieces that I had left over that will serve a good purpose

Little Coffee Shelf, Table between the Arms Covere10
And whats more it matches your dining table !!!!
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:01 am

The space behind the seats is a great place to store picnic chairs with a bungee strap to secure. The floor is a good place to stand your cup. I admire the creativity though. 
We found a good location to store the “occasional table”. The loft at home.
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:11 am

BornAgain wrote:The space behind the seats is a great place to store picnic chairs with a bungee strap to secure. The floor is a good place to stand your cup. I admire the creativity though. 
We found a good location to store the “occasional table”. The loft at home.

We found the occasional table to be very good if stopping for a proper meal and it can be used either inside or outside the Van. Cup on the floor was a little wobbly and the Dog likes to investigate it if placed there
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:30 am

That's ingenious, Bigplumbs. 

I wonder if it can be further adapted, such that it can be used when travelling in winter to block the "aisle" between the front seats (rather than storing it behind a seat)? I find that when it's cold outside, there's a draught from the unheated rear of the van into the cab, at carpet level. The heater is fighting that, so it might be good to block off some of the cold air (without going to the extent of a full-length curtain).

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Barry the Bishop likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:53 pm

Cymro wrote:That's ingenious, Bigplumbs. 

I wonder if it can be further adapted, such that it can be used when travelling in winter to block the "aisle" between the front seats (rather than storing it behind a seat)? I find that when it's cold outside, there's a draught from the unheated rear of the van into the cab, at carpet level. The heater is fighting that, so it might be good to block off some of the cold air (without going to the extent of a full-length curtain).

Cymro

Very good idea as I also feel that draught you are talking about. Will see what could be done
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:06 pm

Later models, well certainly my model, come with a small pedestal table stored in the wardrobe.  If the cab seats and their armrests are adjusted to the same position, the pedestal table with or without its pedestal will fit snuggly between the cab seats without the seats being rotated.  The pedestal table will probably be lighter than a MDF or plywood substitute.  

When we stop it takes us less time and effort to put up the main table than it does to make the brew or have lunch.  That said, we sometimes don't bother.  

Despite travelling in some very cold weather, we have not noticed the problem that Cymro has described.  We would find any obstacle between the cab and the rear of the van whilst travelling to be a nuisance, as we frequently enter and leave the van using the habitation door rather than the cab doors and my wife sometimes nips into the back to shut a drawer or attend to a rattle.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

MelB and Barry the Bishop like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:01 pm

Caraman wrote:Later models, well certainly my model, come with a small pedestal table stored in the wardrobe.  If the cab seats and their armrests are adjusted to the same position, the pedestal table with or without its pedestal will fit snuggly between the cab seats without the seats being rotated.  The pedestal table will probably be lighter than a MDF or plywood substitute.  

When we stop it takes us less time and effort to put up the main table than it does to make the brew or have lunch.  That said, we sometimes don't bother.  

Despite travelling in some very cold weather, we have not noticed the problem that Cymro has described.  We would find any obstacle between the cab and the rear of the van whilst travelling to be a nuisance, as we frequently enter and leave the van using the habitation door rather than the cab doors and my wife sometimes nips into the back to shut a drawer or attend to a rattle.

Our 2004 model only has the larger folding leg table very neatly secured in the Wardrobe so no option there. A smaller pedestal table like I have on my boat would indeed be a good option
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:04 pm

Same situation as Caraman. Van, as new, came with a small pedestal table. Its stored and easily accessible from the wardrobe. It provides similar functions as Caraman describes in his post, plus used for the occasional card and other party games my partner and I play on an evening, whilst camping. Never had a use for the larger main table which was also supplied with the van. Its gathering dust in the loft at home.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:32 pm

It’s amazing how many of us store the large tables in our lofts at home. We did with both our Warwick’s but the Pulsar only has 2 small tables and they store neatly behind the rear seat backs.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by peternb Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:41 pm

Cymro wrote:That's ingenious, Bigplumbs. 

Cymro
Have you, by any chance, turned the van heater controls to Recirculate?
peternb
peternb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:49 pm

We also had no need for the large freestanding table in our Symbol. The little pedestal table that stores behind the offside seat/bed is rarely used as not quite big enough for eating etc. and when mounted on the original island leg is too tall except for using in conjunction with the swivelled front seats. We normally only swivel the front passenger seat, leaving the driver's seat pushed forward, so ready for the bed extension board, and also providing a good backrest for the one lucky enough to be spread out on the seat/bed!
Instead we use a shorter leg, in the original floor mounting, and a tabletop with 2 adjustable folding legs that swing out to give greater stability. It also swivels towards the side door for easier access.
When not in use this stores in the wardrobe...just!
We experimented with a round small table on the island leg as well but it didn't really prove very successful!
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:21 am

Tinwheeler wrote:It’s amazing how many of us store the large tables in our lofts at home. We did with both our Warwick’s but the Pulsar only has 2 small tables and they store neatly behind the rear seat backs.

What do you use for a table outside. Presuming you sit out side to eat or have a BBQ

How our table is stored in the Wardrobe is completely out of the way and very stable and does not weigh much. Somewhat bemused why people don't leave it there
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pilchard Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:27 am

This reminds me of a section there used to be in one of the old camping mags I used to buy from time to time. The section was called "Tenner for a Tip". It was an absolute hoot, because some of these tips... I suppose they call them hacks these days... were completely barmy. Turning empty toilet roll tubes into useless storage containers and 101 usefull things to do with an empty crisp packet, etc, etc. Most ideas though, like this table, we're relatively sane. The British spirit of invention, generously seasoned with a good dash of Heath-Robinson, fortunately lives on.
pilchard

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Inca
Vehicle Year : 2006

Barry the Bishop likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:31 am

Bigplumbs wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:It’s amazing how many of us store the large tables in our lofts at home. We did with both our Warwick’s but the Pulsar only has 2 small tables and they store neatly behind the rear seat backs.

What do you use for a table outside. Presuming you sit out side to eat or have a BBQ

How our table is stored in the Wardrobe is completely out of the way and very stable and does not weigh much. Somewhat bemused why people don't leave it there

No, we have never been into eating outside and don’t have a BBQ.

In the Warwicks, the large table stored above the cab. Placing it there could be a new challenge for World's Strongest Man, plus it occupied valuable storage space. The small pedestal table stored in the wardrobe.

The Warwick and Nuevo are very different.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:40 am

Tinwheeler wrote:
Bigplumbs wrote:

In the Warwicks, the large table stored above the cab. Placing it there could be a new challenge for World's Strongest Man, plus it occupied valuable storage space. The small pedestal table stored in the wardrobe.

Good job we are all different. We BBQ most of our meals when away in the Van or Caravan and generally always eat outside. Each to their own I suppose
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:43 am

Bigplumbs wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:
Bigplumbs wrote:

Good job we are all different. We BBQ most of our meals when away in the Van or Caravan and generally always eat outside. Each to their own I suppose
There are no rights or wrongs but we much prefer to do the opposite. Freedom of choice is wonderful.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeves Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:22 am

In the current NUEVO both tables are stowed neatly in the wardrobe. Both are lightweight and easily erected, the larger is free standing and may be used inside or outside the van. So no need for DIY unless you want to construct a base to use the smaller table outside. QED.
Greeves
Greeves

Male

Auto-Sleeper : NUEVO

sussextravellers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next