The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air lock in fesh water system

+3
rgermain
Cath Dawson
Alan R
7 posters

Go down

Air lock in fesh water system Empty Air lock in fesh water system

Post by Alan R Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:10 pm

Had a few moments getting frustrated with the built-in water pump on my Broadway 2013 FB after I let it run out.  tried all the usuals, opening taps starting at furthest etc. Pump just ran continuously and no water .  Left pump running for 5 mins, tried every hour - no joy. Ran the vehicle round the storage yard - nothing. Then had a brianwave. Got a wet/dry vacuum cleaner in workshop so stuffed that on the end of the shower hose to start with.  Water definitely gurgling but not enough. Went to nearest point - the kitchen, switched on the pump and tap and held the hoover nozzle hard up against the tap end. After about 3 mins. felt cold around the tap - checked, and hey presto water running again.  Syphoning by mouth didn't work so next time give the hoover a try !  Lesson learned. Don't drive with an empty tank.
Alan R
Alan R

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Neuvobluebird and mcalid like this post

Back to top Go down

Air lock in fesh water system Empty Re: Air lock in fesh water system

Post by Cath Dawson Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:01 pm

We had the same problem when we had filled our fresh water tank and then opened the taps to try to pump the water through.  The pump just ran continuously. We worked out that we need to open all the taps BEFORE filling the empty fresh water tank. Our theory is that filling with the taps open "pushes the airlock out".  Not very scientific.....  but seemed to do the trick. Will bear in mind the hoover method, though!
Cath Dawson
Cath Dawson

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Many of us had this problem, in our views the only way forward is to fit a Shurflo, other makes are available, pump.

I can leave our van on the drive for a week and switch the pump on, nothing until I turn on a tap and bingo we have air free water flow. No priming, no operation of the pump due to pressure loss, never looked back.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Kdc, Caraman and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:43 pm

Having major air lock issues with all taps in the Pollensa! I don't think there was much pressure from any tap when I bought the van a couple of years back, so the water pump may well be knackered, but there was at least some water coming out! The shower head pressure was decent. Kitchen sink had poor pressure. Bathroom hot tap was decent but spluttery. Bathroom cold tap was just spluttery!

I've read all the tips on 'air lock' threads about driving down a bumpy road, filling the water with the taps open, etc.

One thing I've noticed is, when I turn the water pump on, there's insane gurgling until I open a cold tap and then it cuts out. If there are no taps or a hot tap open, it's gurgling away. Is this to be expected or does it suggest a problem? The van isn't hooked up so the water heater isn't on.
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:09 pm

All you say implies air somewhere in the system
Can you find a hose which will fit the spout of one of the taps?
If so, try sucking (it is water!) and see if you can get to a point where only water comes into your mouth, no air.
On the other hand your pump may be on its last legs!
Reading again, think new pump would be a better option, keep this one as a spare.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Richard75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:23 pm

If there's a 'leak' on the suction side of the pump, which the gurgling would seem to inidcate, it's hard to detect since instead of looking for wet carpets or whatever, it means air is getting in and causing the pump to struggle.  We had that which finally transpired to be a crack on the filter housing. 

We also at another time had a problem with the diaphragm in the pump leaking and found that the difference between a repair kit and a new pump was not much, so replaced the whoie thing. Also took the opportunity to move it from the board behind the driver's seat, which acted as an amplifier sound board; fitted the new one to the floor where it's nowhere near as noisy.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:33 pm

Thanks Ian / Roger.

I'll see if the pipe I use to siphon my fish tank works on the bathroom mixer. I'm used to getting a mouthful of dodgy water from that :).

Do you know how much I'm looking at for a new pump?

With my minimal budget at the moment I'm trying to avoid major expenditure since I could go on with rust repairs / solar panel, etc., but you wonder whether it makes economic sense with a van of this age or whether I should just carry on getting a wash by carrying a 5l bottle of water in the van, heating some on the hob and filling the bathroom sink with that! A bit of a faff but cheaper than a new pump...
Richard75
Richard75

Male

JandL likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:42 pm

New pump £50/60, secondhand off ebay £25/30. I bought an almost new one from ebay for £25.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:43 pm

Thanks Paul - that's a lot cheaper than expected!
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down