The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo MPG

+8
Paulmold
Wilki2312
IanH
mikethebike
Cymro
raymondo
v8oholic
Richard G
12 posters

Go down

Nuevo  MPG Empty Nuevo MPG

Post by Richard G Mon May 31, 2021 12:08 am

Any ideas why my Nuevo 2015 , mileage 12000, at best averages 23/24 mpg , i had engine "remapped" recently but that made no difference. (peugeot Boxer 2.2 ltr) And its not the way i drive!

Talking to owner of a new Peugot Boxer based motorhome 7.5 mtrs long who always gets over 30mpg, same 2,2 diesel engine. My previous 2009 Boxer Nuevo did 30 mpg.

Any ideas??
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Nuevo  MPG Empty Re: Nuevo MPG

Post by v8oholic Mon May 31, 2021 12:27 am

That does sound a little on the low side. I've only gone through one full tank so far (475 miles) but averaged 32.2 mpg, calculated from the amount of fuel put in (trip computer said 31 mpg). And that will improve with mileage. It's a later engine, but still, I highly doubt there's been a huge improvement in fuel economy since 2015, and it's also a 2.2. Being Euro 6.2, if anything, it's probably got slightly worse not better.

Yours will have a larger frontal area than a PVC. If I were to guess, I would have said high twenties though.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Mon May 31, 2021 12:43 am

v8oholic wrote:That does sound a little on the low side. I've only gone through one full tank so far (475 miles) but averaged 32.2 mpg, calculated from the amount of fuel put in (trip computer said 31 mpg). And that will improve with mileage. It's a later engine, but still, I highly doubt there's been a huge improvement in fuel economy since 2015, and it's also a 2.2. Being Euro 6.2, if anything, it's probably got slightly worse not better.

Yours will have a larger frontal area than a PVC. If I were to guess, I would have said high twenties though.
Agreed the luton roof is not aerodynamic but was same on previous van. I think engine is euro 6 , i would expect around 28 mpg as acceptable, cant get near that !
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon May 31, 2021 12:53 am

One thing you could try without much outlay is a diesel injector cleaner fuel additive. I use them once a year in all my vehicles. They reduce emissions in the MOT test, so definitely do work, even if you only use good fuel brands.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Mon May 31, 2021 1:21 am

2008 Nuevo 2.2 diesel mileage highjly dependant on driving style tootling up motorways (60MPH) I can get 32 -33 highlands of Scotland with lots of second and third gear and it drops to 27ish but I have never had it lower than 27MPH
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon May 31, 2021 7:18 am

RichardG:  I have the same van, same vintage. I have never reset the computer display and have now covered 15K miles.  The mpg shows 26.2 and seems never to change. Most motorway driving at 60mph, fully laden with 2 bikes. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

v8oholic and mikethebike like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon May 31, 2021 4:27 pm

In my experience you need to check after a few tank fulls.
Head winds and roundabouts can make a difference. They do for me!!
Comp overreads for sure.
Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon May 31, 2021 4:31 pm

4 motorhomes now, all diesel all approx same size weight.
Every millilitre of fuel added religiously into a book, together with fuel added and total miles, in a nutshell, totally accurately.
All 4 27Mpg+/- 1!!!
As Micky says computers generally lie!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilki2312 Mon May 31, 2021 4:40 pm

Might be worth buying a cheap code reader and downloading an app to your phone to see if there are any error codes.
Several sensors may be contributing to incorrect fuel / air mix and poor mpg.
We have an ancient 2004 Nuevo 2.2 and so far averaging over 30mpg
Wilki2312
Wilki2312

Male

Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Mon May 31, 2021 10:04 pm

Wilki2312 wrote:Might be worth buying a cheap code reader and downloading an app to your phone to see if there are any error codes.

Thanks to all for replies.

Didnt know about a code reader or app...where can i get such a reader?

Would my recent engine remap have checked the mixture?

RG
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon May 31, 2021 10:13 pm

Has air filter been changed during your 12000 miles? My last van was older 2006 model Nuevo 2.2 and always did 30mpg, current van 2010 2.2 does over 30.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilki2312 Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:19 am

Richard G wrote:
Wilki2312 wrote:Might be worth buying a cheap code reader and downloading an app to your phone to see if there are any error codes.

Thanks to all for replies.

Didnt know about a code reader or app...where can i get such a reader?

Would my recent engine remap have checked the mixture?

RG
Pop “OBD” into your App Store and there are a number of apps of various prices
They will suggest readers but again, obd reader into Amazon and you can see a selection that use Bluetooth.
Just plug into the port under the dash and run the app and it will tell you any sensors giving weird results etc as well as real time info like fuel flow 
Might help you trace the issue
Wilki2312
Wilki2312

Male

Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:53 am

I use a device called OBDLink MX+ which I bought from Amazon. This is a small dongle which plugs into the ODB2 port. They have their own app ODBLink which you run on your phone, it connects wirelessly to the dongle. Then it gives you access to any fault codes and (depending on vehicle) lots of other information about the engine and transmission. Vehicles store up fault codes until they are reset (often a main dealer will read and clear the codes as part of a service).

These things aren’t cheap, but when I bought mine, I’d just had a spurious check engine light appear on a car which I was able to diagnose as a specific sensor error. Unplugging a nearby connector and reconnecting it stopped it happening, and I was able to reset the check engine light in the app. It would have cost a lot more for a dealer to do the same thing, and they probably would have just replaced the sensor, which a year later has turned out not to be necessary. So these devices are a useful thing to have around. There are some cheaper self contained code readers you can get too, but they aren’t always as universal as you would hope. Also the cheap ones will give you just a code which you still need to google to work out what it means, whereas better ones have a built in database with proper descriptions.

You might buy a code reader and find there are no fault codes on this occasion, though. If anyone near you has one, perhaps they could help you out.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:59 am

IanH wrote:4 motorhomes now, all diesel all approx same size weight.
Every millilitre of fuel added religiously into a book, together with fuel added and total miles, in a nutshell, totally accurately.
All 4 27Mpg+/- 1!!!
As Micky says computers generally lie!
That's very helpful, Ian, insofar as it seems that my (shown) 26.2mpg is within the margin of your meticulous observations. That's comforting.

I was disappointed when I changed from a 2.5tdi Clubman, because that gave over 30mpg (over 17 years). But the NuevoES is considerably bigger and heavier.

For decades I also kept details as you describe, but gave up on the purchase of my first car to show mpg on its computer, to the delight of my kids who had always teased me!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:47 pm

I think i will give up worrying about MPG and just buy cheapest diesel i can find, probably save more money that way
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Cymro, mikethebike and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:20 am

My Nuevo computer shows an MPG of between 33 mpg and 34 mpg but I drive it relatively slowly - I don't exceed 60 mph on motorways and am happy to drive at 50 mph on other roads where the speed limit allows.  I have a low profile front which reduces drag and the vehicle mass and I travel with an empty or near empty water tank.  When fully loaded my Nuevo's mass is about 3,200 kg and I sometimes travel with less mass than this e.g. in the winter without bikes and outdoor chairs and if I'm travelling to a site with shops nearby.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by jetty Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:30 am

My experience matches Caraman. We travel quite lightly (no bikes) but do go away with water on board. I rarely exceed 60mph even on motorways where I see plenty of MHs and caravans flying past me
jetty
jetty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:59 am

2014 nuevo ek averidge 32 mostly  motorway driving  ,dash reading .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:01 pm

Sorry if sounding picky, but what is all the fuss about.
You buy a £30000+ motorhome, near enough 3.5TONS, aerodynamics of a house brick, and you worry about a few MPG.
THEN you only use the thing for 5000miles a year probably!!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins up!

I get 27Mpg, my 2001 1.8l petrol non turbo Volvo estate does 36, I'd be more impressed than upset.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:55 pm

After getting 16mpg with our Shogun when towing, I'm dead chuffed with anything over 25.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:28 pm

IanH wrote:Sorry if sounding picky, but what is all the fuss about.
You buy a £30000+ motorhome, near enough 3.5TONS, aerodynamics of a house brick, and you worry about a few MPG.
THEN you only use the thing for 5000miles a year probably!!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins up!

I get 27Mpg, my 2001 1.8l petrol non turbo Volvo estate does 36, I'd be more impressed than upset.
I am not too worried really just wonder why everybody else gets more mpg, even from bigger motorhomes.
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:19 am

IanH wrote:Sorry if sounding picky, but what is all the fuss about.

Save the pennies and count the pounds is my motto.  MPG has has always been important to me including when towing a caravan or driving a motorhome.  But there is a more to it than this; we all have an obligation to reduce our carbon footprint which can be done from simple things like turning a light off before leaving a room to driving in a way that reduces fuel consumption, which includes lightening load where-ever possible and moderating speed.  Every little bit counts.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:42 pm

200 miles on the current tank in my Symbol, and the readout says 34.9 mpg which is pretty good for a tight new engine. On the first measured tankful, the trip computer actually under-read, so it should be better than that in reality. It doesn’t matter all that much, but I have some European trips in planning which are 3000-4000 miles each, so it’s always good to know what to expect.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:16 pm

I too have trips planned, getting to do them is a different problem!
Hope we both can! up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down