The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Nuevo susceptible to damp problems?

+7
Tincataylor
pablo
ajrm
Paulmold
skyrakes
Cymro
Driftwood6
11 posters

Go down

Is the Nuevo susceptible to damp problems? Empty Is the Nuevo susceptible to damp problems?

Post by Driftwood6 Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:49 am

I have just traded in my 8 month old Autocruise Accent for a brand new Nuevo EK (For delivery mid-July) as the layout suits us better. I spent several hours yesterday reading posts on this forum and have become very concerned about the number of you mentioning high damp readings within the first year or two of owning the van  confused0 . Have I done the right thing or have I made a major mistake? I was under the impression that Auto-Sleeper was a very good make and I am hoping that this does not affect many vans. Please will some happy owners re-assure me?
Driftwood6
Driftwood6

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : 2014 Nuveo EK
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Is the Nuevo susceptible to damp problems? Empty Re: Is the Nuevo susceptible to damp problems?

Post by Cymro Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:51 am

Hmmm... a very interesting post. I cannot help, but really want to know the views of Nuevo ES owners, because I am just about to change my Clubman and was going for a Hymer because I thought there was no sub-6m AS. But I've just seen the Nuevo ES, which ticks the boxes (fine for grandparents and grandchildren in to chicken loft). I am uneasy about a Peugeot - though if I'm content with the Fiat in the Hymer, I should be content with the Peugeot because - I think - it's the same engine, isn't it?

However, if the build quality of the Nuevo is suspect, I'll go for the Hymer, reluctantly.  So I hope colleagsues on the forum can give their experiences....

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Is the Nuevo susceptible to damp problems? Empty Re: Is the Nuevo susceptible to damp problems?

Post by skyrakes Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:57 am

We purchased a new AS EK 2 years ago. 2 damp test and no problem. The van has been on the road both winters in Scotland with no problems. ( Not saying Scotland is any wetter than any where else)

Build within the AS is great. Very sturdy and secure. Again no problems, just a couple of rattles to begin with which were soon sorted when we found the cause.

We love it
skyrakes
skyrakes

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:59 am

We went for the ES Nuevo (2006 on the earlier Boxer) not because we wanted a four berth but for the extra storage the overcab gives. No problem with the Peugeot side of it. We did discover damp (MH already 7 years old when purchased) on one side just behind the bulkhead where the long seal goes right from the skirt upwards. Dealer resealed entire seal and all round the skirts and damp readings are now back to normal.
We leave the seats in the bench position as this gives us storage beneath but I wonder if we actually had 4 people travelling if there would be sufficient room for 4 peoples clothes.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Cymro wrote:Hmmm... a very interesting post. I cannot help, but really want to know the views of Nuevo ES owners, because I am just about to change my Clubman and was going for a Hymer because I thought there was no sub-6m AS. But I've just seen the Nuevo ES, which ticks the boxes (fine for grandparents and grandchildren in to chicken loft). I am uneasy about a Peugeot - though if I'm content with the Fiat in the Hymer, I should be content with the Peugeot because - I think - it's the same engine, isn't it?

However, if the build quality of the Nuevo is suspect, I'll go for the Hymer, reluctantly.  So I hope colleagsues on the forum can give their experiences....

Cymro
I think you could get damp in any van if seals are not fitted correctly or there is any unrepared damage to the body / seals.
As to the Peugeot engine, in the Boxer, the 130 bhp 2.2 engine is supplied by Ford. Mine has FoMoCo stickers on it.
Still a very popular and robust engine though.
Allan
ajrm
ajrm

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:33 pm

Cymro wrote:Hmmm... a very interesting post. I cannot help, but really want to know the views of Nuevo ES owners, because I am just about to change my Clubman and was going for a Hymer because I thought there was no sub-6m AS. But I've just seen the Nuevo ES, which ticks the boxes (fine for grandparents and grandchildren in to chicken loft). I am uneasy about a Peugeot - though if I'm content with the Fiat in the Hymer, I should be content with the Peugeot because - I think - it's the same engine, isn't it?

Cymro
The engines on the latest fiat and Peugeots are different. The Peugeot is 2.2 120bhp and the Fiat 2.3 130 bhp. The general onion now in the press is that the Fiat is the more refined package and less noisey. In addition the camping chassis is available on the fiat, which some converters use, which gives better handling with a wide rear track.  Autobox is only available on fiat if you need that.

In terms of damp, I've had a late 2008 Nuevo ES and not had any problems. 

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pablo Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:01 pm

I've a 2008 Nuevo ES 13000 miles left in the open since new. Recent habitation says damp check readings were "excellent".
pablo
pablo

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tincataylor Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:59 pm

We bought our 2007 Nuevo EK 2 berth because we considered the layout to be the best for us and we though the overall build quality was better than other makes we had looked at.  The hab check shows no damp problems at all and we are delighted with the vehicle. I hope this helps,

The Tinca's
Tincataylor
Tincataylor

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK 2 Berth

Back to top Go down

Is the Nuevo susceptible to damp problems? Empty Nuevo

Post by Driftwood6 Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Tincataylor wrote:We bought our 2007 Nuevo EK 2 berth because we considered the layout to be the best for us and we though the overall build quality was better than other makes we had looked at.  The hab check shows no damp problems at all and we are delighted with the vehicle. I hope this helps,

The Tinca's
Thanks to the few of you who have given me reassurance. I had a quick look under the van in the showroom and saw some bare wood where the 'Gunge' had been missed but they assure me it will be sorted when I pick it up.  Have been emptying our previous van over the last week  and am now counting the days....  up!
Driftwood6
Driftwood6

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : 2014 Nuveo EK
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:26 pm

If you analyse the reported damp issues you will see the vans are of varying age and reported damp points are not all the same.  High % are around door and window fittings which can happen to any make. Talk to owners of the UKs biggest MH builder AutoTrail about leaks, you would wonder how they sold so many but in the end both AS and AT and Swift etc get the job sorted.
The Nuevo is a good van I prefer the older models as there is little difference in size now to the Broadway and people bought it for its size. On the ASOC rally I am on now out of 17 van I can see 5 are Nuevos, another 5 are monocoques the rest made up of Styrofoams and pvcs so that shows the Nuevo is a very 
popular van and if is wasn't good it wouldn't be one of AS all time best sellers
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:33 pm

Most reassuring, thanks, colleagues. I have today ordered a Nuevo ES as it meets all my requirements (especially sub-6m length). Ideal for grandparents & off-offspring!  Hymer was very cramped and under-specified in comparison. Delivery (on the new cab nose) not until November.

Great to be able to remain on the Forum!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:00 pm

roli wrote:If you analyse the reported damp issues you will see the vans are of varying age and reported damp points are not all the same.  High % are around door and window fittings which can happen to any make. Talk to owners of the UKs biggest MH builder AutoTrail about leaks, you would wonder how they sold so many but in the end both AS and AT and Swift etc get the job sorted.
The Nuevo is a good van I prefer the older models as there is little difference in size now to the Broadway and people bought it for its size. On the ASOC rally I am on now out of 17 van I can see 5 are Nuevos, another 5 are monocoques the rest made up of Styrofoams and pvcs so that shows the Nuevo is a very 
popular van and if is wasn't good it wouldn't be one of AS all time best sellers
Hi roli,

could you please explain the difference between monocoque and styrofoams.
Ta.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Yes no problem.   The monocoques have a 1 piece shell and models were, Talisman, Executive, Amethyst, Legend, Excelsior, Medallion, Clubman Anniversary,  Gatcome and Mezan.  e&oe !   

The rest have separate sides roof and rear made up into a body shell. The sides are laminated insulated panels (Styrofoam)

Many myself included believe the monocoques gave AS their name and there is no doubt they hold their value better than conventional build vans do.

The plus point for the Styrofoams is they are a lot warmer in cold weather and have a lower production cost as AS are able manufacture in house themselves where as Cheltenham Laminates made the 1piece shells and doors.
The styro panels allow AS to make changes to a model without the cost of new patterns and moulds
Hope this clears the picture, and if anybody from the factory is lurking you owe me for that explanation.  !! smile!

Last edited by roli on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:46 pm

hoopman wrote:The engines on the latest fiat and Peugeots are different. The Peugeot is 2.2 120bhp and the Fiat 2.3 130 bhp. The general onion now in the press is that the Fiat is the more refined package and less noisey. In addition the camping chassis is available on the fiat, which some converters use, which gives better handling with a wide rear track.  Autobox is only available on fiat if you need that.

In terms of damp, I've had a late 2008 Nuevo ES and not had any problems. 

Regards
John
I am not sure that you are correct. My 2012 Euro V Peugeot is 130bhp 2.2 litre and I believe that my Nuevo Lancashire is built on the Camping chassis. Different engine from Fiat but same bhp. AFAIK Fiat and Peugeot and Citroen X 250's all come from the same factory.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:58 am

Think you will find the Pug 2.2 engine is the Ford engine out of the fwd Transit
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:20 pm

The Puggie/Ford 130 Bhp Puma engine runs a treat, set the c/c and watch the miles tick by, plenty of torque, hardly ever have to drop a gear.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down