The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water tank won’t fill

+12
Jaytee
Biker51
inspiredron
Kemerton-bath
Caraman
Molly3
groundhog
Paulmold
Mike187
Tinwheeler
Gromit
Kesellie
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Water tank won’t fill Empty Water tank won’t fill

Post by Kesellie Sat May 29, 2021 12:16 pm

I am fairly new owner of Nuevo 2013. When I ry to fill water tank usin hose and whale pump system it takes in some water and then the pump stops and will not take anymore. The control panel shows water tank is empty although  I can get some slow flow of water from taps. This is its first filling since I got it due to lockdown etc. So thoughts are maybe probe? Airlock or blocked water filter. If filter how  I check /clear? 
Any advice welcomed, not used whale system before.
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Water tank won’t fill Empty Re: Water tank won’t fill

Post by Gromit Sat May 29, 2021 12:50 pm

Has your van got a Fiamma "hole in the wall" filler?

If so, I suggest you use a hose and/or a watering can instead of the Whale system.

If you don't have that filler hole, someone will advise you about the Whale.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesellie Sat May 29, 2021 12:52 pm

Thank you but it doesn’t have an alternative hole for filling
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat May 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Don’t necessarily believe the tank gauge as they are notoriously inaccurate. When full, water will spill from the overflow pipe.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesellie Sat May 29, 2021 1:31 pm

The pump just stops working therefore cannot fill the tank
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Sat May 29, 2021 1:53 pm

If the pump works and then stops, then it suggests that it is working correctly, it should stop when the tank is full, as said above the gauge are not always accurate.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesellie Sat May 29, 2021 2:10 pm

Pretty certain tank is not full. When I turn on taps the water comes out slowly for a short while then stops suggesting no water and control panel flashes warning of empty tank so stops pump from sending any more rather than let pump run on dry
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesellie Sat May 29, 2021 2:11 pm

Can I just add it is frustrating isn’t it? I am not trying to be difficult just want some help!
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat May 29, 2021 2:36 pm

There is a filter on the inside by the inlet. This gets blocked particularly if you're  in a hard water area. Clear that and maybe OK. You also need to pull cover down onto the connector for the power to make contact. I don't  have this system so am just passing on what I've read on here, could be talking rubbish of course.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Sat May 29, 2021 2:40 pm

Is your leisure battery charged, low charge could causes your interior pump to run slow. You could check your tank by emptying it through the drain tap and then try refilling it again, that will check the accuracy of the gauge.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Widget likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesellie Sat May 29, 2021 3:43 pm

Yes leisure battery charged. I originally had drain pipe (through ignorance) open so tank has been emptied, (never filled only partial) so frost control button now pushed in and drain pipe closed. I thought yes done it! But it still did same thing,filled a little bit, enough so water came out of pipes, then the whale pump just stopped,  and the tank nowhere  filled.  Control panel says tank is empty.
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat May 29, 2021 5:15 pm

Filter that I mentioned  earlier....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Kesellie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesellie Sat May 29, 2021 5:20 pm

Thank you will give it a go and let you know
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat May 29, 2021 7:45 pm

Sorry Keselie wish I could help, does sound like the filter may be blocked as above. Good luck with sorting it.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Kesellie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sun May 30, 2021 12:56 am

I often  fill,the tank by inserting  a hose pipe into the drain tap and fill from the bottom .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesellie Sun May 30, 2021 3:19 pm

How do I insert hose pipe to drain tap as it only seems to have swivel switch for on or off
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun May 30, 2021 3:32 pm

If its not the gauze filter that protects the solenoid operated valve it could be the Whale pump that's on its way out.  They don't last for ever especially if they have been run dry.  If it can't maintain enough water pressure to overcome the pressure switch in the Whale inlet socket the solenoid valve will close and the pump will stop.  You could try unscrewing (removing) the pressure switch adjuster screw.  To give my Whale pump the best chance I have replaced the solenoid valve with a short piece of pipe.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesellie Sun May 30, 2021 3:36 pm

I am learning so much about this whale pump system! I like the conventional hole where you insert a hosepipe! 
Hey ho got it now so will just keep trying.
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sun May 30, 2021 5:59 pm

Kesellie wrote:How do I insert hose pipe to drain tap as it only seems to have swivel switch for on or off
Put some tape round  the hose pipe nozel  to make a secure  fit ,push it into the drain tap ,turn on drain tap ,turn on water  , wait  until tank over flows or watch tank gauge until full ,turn of water , close drain tap , full tank ,  less phaff  job done .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Kesellie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sun May 30, 2021 7:56 pm

We had a similar experience last year, after the van has been laid up during the first lockdown.  Two events have to occur for the Whale inlet to allow water into the tank. 

Firstly the tank has to have capacity to take onboard water and this is sensed by a float switch within the tank, not by the level indicators. If the tank is anything other than full then the switch closes and puts 12V onto the solenoid valve at the inlet. This actuates the solenoid (the second event) which opens the valve and allows water to pass from the filler into the tank.

For this sequence to occur the habitation power system needs to be switched on, but it sounds like you did that. You don’t need the pump in the van to be switched on. You mentioned the pump stopping but it has no part to play in the filling process. The only time that a pump is involved is if you’re using a separate Whale submersible pump outside the van to get water into the van filler from a container. From what you’ve said it sounds that you’re using a hose connected to a mains water tap.

The first thing to check is the functioning of the solenoid valve. I don’t know where yours is located (a Nuevo owner will be along to tell you) but mine is behind a back panel of the kitchen cabinet closest to the filling point. The panel was easily removed by releasing two screws on each side of it. As others have suggested, check that the strainer filter on the valve isn’t blocked with limescale. 

The next stage requires you to have a multimeter. Using the meter check to see if you have 12V (dc) across the two connectors on the solenoid. If you have, then switch the power off to confirm it goes to zero. Switch the power back on and if you have the 12V again then you’ve established that the solenoid valve has failed and is not actuating to open the valve.  

If, however, you measured no 12Vdc at all across the solenoid then it suggests the float switch is at fault. This was the case for me.  I thought it might be stuck given the long layup of the van and that filling the tank via a different route might unstick it. 

I was able to fill the tank through the separate gravity fill inlet our van has, but you could use the drain valve route suggested by others. You may struggle to fill the tank enough to lift the float switch off its stuck position, in which case get as much water in as you can then rock the van to get it sloshing around the tank.
In my case I filled the tank full, then emptied it and found this had freed the float, allowing the water to enter the Whale filler.

There’s no denying that the Whale filler adds complexity to what should be a simple task of putting water into the tank. People either love or hate the Whale system, as evidenced by a raft of posts on the subject here on the forum. It’s no coincidence that AS now fit both a Whale filler and a straightforward gravity filler to their vans and you may decide the best way forward is to retrofit the latter, as we did.

Once you’ve resolved the issue of getting water INTO the tank, you would be well advised to consider how your van gets water OUT OF the tank and delivers it to the hot and cold water system. On your 2013 Nuevo the chances are there is submersible pump in the tank that delivers water throughout the van. If it goes faulty then you may have to drop the tank to replace it, which could be a problem if you’re touring. Many owners, me included, have fitted an alternative pump instead. This bypasses the in-tank Whale pump, and is easily accessible within the van in the event of a fault. I won’t overload you further but the subject is covered comprehensively on here, simply enter “Shurflo” into the search box and you’ll find much of it.

Let us know how you get on and just ask if you get stuck.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Kesellie, jwells and MelB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesellie Sun May 30, 2021 8:03 pm

Thank you Tim for a very comprehensible answer. As I said I will go through things in order. 1filter, 2 solid oil, 3 float switch. I never had this trouble with my old van , I just stuck hose in. 🤣
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun May 30, 2021 10:45 pm

On my van the solenoid valve is in the offside bed locker behind a large black fibreglass moulding that has one screw into the outside wall and one into the floor. Remove the moulding and you can see the back of the Whale input block with a pipe coming out and connecting to the solenoid valve.  On later Nuevos with a gas tank the Truma heater was put into that offside bed locker and they did not bother to shield the valve with the black moulding.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Kesellie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Biker51 Mon May 31, 2021 4:39 pm

Kesellie wrote:How do I insert hose pipe to drain tap as it only seems to have swivel switch for on or off
I use this setup to fill via the drain valve. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Biker51
Biker51

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex EB
Vehicle Year : 2012

groundhog and Kesellie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kesellie Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:58 pm

Update on situation.
Checked filter was clogged so cleaned it and put it back.
Checked solenoid with multimeter. No reading so thought it was probably float switch as suggested. 
Tried to fill tank with whale pump fitting would not fill. 
Tried to use hose to fill via drain pipe. Knew I had filled tank as tank overflowed. 
Now got reading on control panel of 75%. Thought yeah done it.
Left van for an hour tank back down to zero, and pump will not operate to pump water out of tap, control panel reads zero which is why I think it won’t pump?
Took van for a drive thinking it may unlock float switch. Returned home and there is no difference. So I know the tank is full but the taps/pump will not work.
Suggestions?

Last edited by Kesellie on Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Predictive text)
Kesellie
Kesellie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:11 pm

Kesellie wrote:Update on situation.
Checked filter was clogged so cleaned it and put it back.
Checked solenoid with multimeter. No reading so thought it was probably float switch as suggested. 
Tried to fill tank with whale pump fitting would not fill. 
Tried to use hose to fill via drain pipe. Knew I had filled tank as tank overflowed. 
Now got reading on control panel of 75%. Thought yeah done it.
Left van for an hour tank back down to zero, and pump will not operate to pump water out of tap, control panel reads zero which is why I think it won’t pump?
Took van for a drive thinking it may unlock float switch. Returned home and there is no difference. So I know the tank is full but the taps/pump will not work.
Suggestions?
Your water system should have two identical Whale submersible pumps - one in the fresh water tank which pumps water to the taps when a tap is opened and the other outside the motorhome which is used to pump water out of a container into the fresh water tank via the Whale inlet socket/pressure switch/solenoid valve.  Are neither of your Whale pumps working properly?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next