The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fairford water pump

+3
KMRTOPAZ
Paulmold
Bob Forder
7 posters

Go down

Fairford water pump Empty Fairford water pump

Post by Bob Forder Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 pm

This problem has come on quite suddenly.  I have a full water tank and water emerges from taps at good pressure but pump runs and runs and won't cut out until I turn it off on the control panel.  Where should I start?
Bob Forder
Bob Forder

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Fairford water pump Empty Re: Fairford water pump

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:04 pm

You need to adjust pressure switch, should be instructions  in handbook or there are videos on youtube

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:28 pm

Alternatively, the boiler dump valve is open !
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:56 am

I'd tend to focus on the leak angle (as Keith suggests)  rather than immediately start adjusting pressure switch....it can be a b....er trying to get an equilibrium.
For instance, does it immediately start pumping as soon as you turn on the habitation electrics, or is it only after you open the taps for the first time.   Has this problem arisen since closed down for the winter.    Others on this forum have indicated in the past that it could be a voltage (or lack) problem....are you on hook up or just on leisure battery.

Good luck

PS >.I'm assuming it is pressure sensitive rather than electrically activated from the individual taps
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Fairford water pump Empty Thanks

Post by Bob Forder Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:18 pm

Thanks for your suggestions.  Don't think it can be a leak because I can still briefly get water out of the taps a couple of hours after turning the pump off.  Sometimes the pump will stop running if I turn the taps off and on very quickly - its like I've shocked the pressure valve into action.  Sometimes (but not very often) it works as it should.  All this leads me to think the valve itself is faulty and I might do best just to replace it - if I can get at it, it's well hidden away.
Bob Forder
Bob Forder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:03 pm

Bob before going to the expense of replacing the valve remove the 2 screws at the inlet side and clean the small one way valve.  If this has unfortunately been contaminated by grit or scale it will allow water leaking back to the tank to constantly cycle the pump.  It is a known issue and I have suffered this myself.  Its only a 15 min job to do. Less likely as you still have some residual pressure in the system after pump has been switched off for some time but costs nothing to check.
      It could well be just adjustment required as Paul mold suggests and surely a small adjustment of the easily accessible knob on top of the valve, only  a little either way is easier and cheaper than just going out and replacing the valve. By the way a new valve would still need this adjustment so worth trying on the old valve first.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Bob Forder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:37 pm

Adjust the pressure switch our fairford needs one setting for when on hook up and one when not. The switch is under the rear seat with the seat belts fitted near the side of the van.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyB Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi Bob,had same problem at first.Cured by setting up pump on 12v first using the pressure switch.I got the leisure battery down to 12.4v by turning on TV and set switch to give 5 to 10 secs overrun.On EHU the voltage is much higher and you will probably find the pump turns off with almost no overrun.Pump speed and hence pressure is very voltage sensitive,so set it to the lowest you use.Good luck.
TonyB
TonyB

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Forder Sun May 02, 2021 12:10 pm

Thanks for your various suggestions.  Will try them all.

Bob
Bob Forder
Bob Forder

Male

Back to top Go down