The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting a high gloss shine - a discovery!

+3
Gerald Rager
burlingtonboaby
Woodenhead Mike
7 posters

Go down

Getting a high gloss shine - a discovery! Empty Getting a high gloss shine - a discovery!

Post by Woodenhead Mike Thu 22 Apr 2021 - 16:39

I have been working hard to clean and polish my 2006 Eton. Cleaning and polishing the gel coat has been hard work but straightforward - I have used the 3M product that cuts and polishes and the results are excellent. But as for the sides - ugh. The 3M product did a fair job of gently cutting back the the oxidation but as for a shine - it wasn't to be. So them I tried all types of polish from acrylics to ceramics and most of the well known brands of polish and none gave the gloss I was looking for. Frustrating and expensive. 

I thought what this needs is a really good wax but I was reluctant to spend more money for more unsatisfactory results. Then the idea struck. I am a hobbyist woodworker. Using mainly hard woods I craft items which I sell on-line or at craft shows. I got to thinking about the waxes in my workshop and one in particular - Microcrystalline Restoration Wax. It is used widely in the antique trades and museums for polishing wood, lacquer, varnishes, brass, copper and steel. It repels moisture and prevents fingermarks and oxidisation. It's the final finish I often use of small pieces of furniture. But what about the side of a motorhome? RESULT!!! Brilliant shine and not to difficult to achieve.  Wax about a 45 - 60 cm square at a time with a little on a dry cloth. I have heard experts say if you put this wax on so thick that you can see it you have put too much on.  So 2 thin coats are better than one thick one, if you're not satisfied with the result first time around.  Leave for a bit less than a minute and buff with a microfibre cloth. Easy! The only thing I have yet to discover is how long the shine will last. But for the moment I'm a happy camper, or should I say motorhomer!

The wax I used is sold by Axminister Tools £12.88 for 400gms plus delivery.
Woodenhead Mike
Woodenhead Mike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2006

Teckguy, davemarshall, Lancy and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Getting a high gloss shine - a discovery! Empty Re: Getting a high gloss shine - a discovery!

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat 24 Apr 2021 - 14:36

I can see your van shining from here Mike.  up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Getting a high gloss shine - a discovery! Empty Re: Getting a high gloss shine - a discovery!

Post by Woodenhead Mike Sat 24 Apr 2021 - 14:44

If only Boaby!!! I'm getting there but slowly. Struggling to find a safe way to get up over the cab to polish the front of the roof.  I've seen enough of Scarborough and Brid hospitals recently. I'm hoping that at some point in the next couple of weeks we will use the vehicle for our first night away in it.  Your welcome to come and share a tea or coffee in Nafferton.
Woodenhead Mike
Woodenhead Mike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat 24 Apr 2021 - 14:49

Woodenhead Mike wrote:If only Boaby!!! I'm getting there but slowly. Struggling to find a safe way to get up over the cab to polish the front of the roof.  I've seen enough of Scarborough and Brid hospitals recently. I'm hoping that at some point in the next couple of weeks we will use the vehicle for our first night away in it.  Your welcome to come and share a tea or coffee in Nafferton.
Thanks Mike.  up!
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Woodenhead Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerald Rager Tue 4 May 2021 - 8:41

I have been using " Owatrol gel coat restorer"  I was very unsure if it would work as it claimed to work on plastic and steel boats plus paving stones, the list went on, sounded to good to be true.

I did a test area on the chalky paint on my Narrow boat last year, it was an amazing finish and looks just the same after the winter, so have just finished both cabin sides of boat and it looks great and less the 250ml did the job. Use a new best quality paint brush and brush out well.

I am now about to treat our motor home, it is so easy and quick to apply, saved a lot of hard work..
Gerald Rager
Gerald Rager

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : Vehicle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue 4 May 2021 - 9:17

I see this is your first post, despite being a member for  years,  so welcome.  Why not say hello here..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerald Rager Tue 4 May 2021 - 9:41

Thanks for the welcome, I am not great with this way of communication, but felt on this occasion I had somthing good to share and put my mind to it. !

It was not as difficult as I thought so watch this space, I may well be back as this morning for advice as I am going to try and stop the odometer flashing on our Broadway.
 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gerald Rager
Gerald Rager

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : Vehicle2

rogerblack likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue 4 May 2021 - 9:45

Very interesting Mike, over the years I have restored loads of different classic cars, boats and even an aeroplane and tried just about method of waxing and polishing but never come across anything like this. You must let us know how long it lasts! up!

Many people ask the best way to clean and polish vans on here and will get a variety of replies but in my experience and no doubt that of many others it is not a problem achieving that glossy shine it is how on earth to keep it that way and without constant attention I have never found a way yet that doesn't require an amount of elbow grease.

Maybe you have found a winner here! allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue 4 May 2021 - 11:41

Gerald Rager wrote:I have been using " Owatrol gel coat restorer"  I was very unsure if it would work as it claimed to work on plastic and steel boats plus paving stones, the list went on, sounded to good to be true.

I did a test area on the chalky paint on my Narrow boat last year, it was an amazing finish and looks just the same after the winter, so have just finished both cabin sides of boat and it looks great and less the 250ml did the job. Use a new best quality paint brush and brush out well.

I am now about to treat our motor home, it is so easy and quick to apply, saved a lot of hard work..

I see on the website that it says "do not use on white paint"

Be careful.
Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue 4 May 2021 - 11:59

Well spotted Micky, I was thinking of giving it a try but have a few area where the Gel is covered by white paint from when AS did warranty work.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue 4 May 2021 - 13:11

Gerald Rager wrote:Thanks for the welcome, I am not great with this way of communication, but felt on this occasion I had somthing good to share and put my mind to it. !

It was not as difficult as I thought so watch this space, I may well be back as this morning for advice as I am going to try and stop the odometer flashing on our Broadway.
 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Welcome to the forum Gerald.  up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down