The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine

+9
burlingtonboaby
Bobmac
repoort
daisy mae
PLOUGHLIN
moggyminor1966
rogerblack
Paulmold
spikeymatt
13 posters

Go down

13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine Empty 13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine

Post by spikeymatt Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:54 pm

my pollensa is in need of a whole body rejuvenation after 13 years of being weather beaten .Have used all the caravan cleaners that are recommended over the years but paint work now dull.I do not know if it is possible to machine buff a gel coated surface and what polishes to use any suggestions that have been tried and proven would be welcome.
spikeymatt
spikeymatt

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down

13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine Empty Re: 13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Have a look on MHFun at their detailing section, written by 'charlie' known as 'charliefarlie' on here. A whole division dedicated to waxing/polishing etc etc.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine Empty Re: 13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine

Post by rogerblack Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:58 pm

I use Meguiars -  marine/RV products for the hab, auto for the cab. I also have one of their dual action electric polishers which I use with their range of pads to save some elbow grease. Not cheap but then neither is my Pollensa.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cheers
Roger

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:13 pm

I can also thoroughly recommend Meguiars boat/Rev polish. It is easy to apply and does not take much effort to polish up. As your paint work has become dull would suggest you do it twice.
I bought mine quite reasonable from eBay.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:20 pm

See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Polish is an abrasive, after polishing , good idea to wax it.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:09 pm

...I found lots of info regarding polish and waxes on a VWT forum, though the vehicles concerned are metal rather than fiberglass, so may not be quite so applicable to most here. In fact, there is so much info that it was difficult to come to a firm decision about what to use...in the end I went along with a lot of owners and used Autoglym products (it helped that they were 3 for 2 at Halfrauds).
During the recent mild spell I gave my pride and joy a thorough wash (lambskin mitt, not a sponge - holds all the grit), then a generous coat of SRP ( super resin polish ) and then 2 coats of EGP ( extra gloss protection wax).
Yes, a lot of effort, but the shine was worth it.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine Empty 13 year old Pollensa in need of a body shine.

Post by spikeymatt Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Paulmold wrote:Have a look on MHFun at their detailing section, written by 'charlie' known as 'charliefarlie' on here. A whole division dedicated to waxing/polishing etc etc.
thanks for all suggestions I can see I will be hard at it in the spring.
spikeymatt
spikeymatt

Male

Back to top Go down

13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine Empty 13 years old Pollensa in need of a body shine

Post by spikeymatt Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:27 pm

rogerblack wrote:I use Meguiars -  marine/RV products for the hab, auto for the cab. I also have one of their dual action electric polishers which I use with their range of pads to save some elbow grease. Not cheap but then neither is my Pollensa.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cheers
Roger
Thanks Roger have taken note of sites to visit very helpful ..mike
spikeymatt
spikeymatt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobmac Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:54 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Worth a look
Bobmac
Bobmac

Male

Member Age : 83
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:23 am

care-avan cleaning and polishing products are ideal for white Coachbuilt vans [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Paulmold wrote:Have a look on MHFun at their detailing section, written by 'charlie' known as 'charliefarlie' on here. A whole division dedicated to waxing/polishing etc etc.

There is also a thread dedicated to machine polishing here on this forum. It I hope gives a good basic grounding as to what the basics are. 

Any questions specific or otherwise I will do my very best to help ,,,  up!

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:46 pm

repoort wrote:...I found lots of info regarding polish and waxes on a VWT forum, though the vehicles concerned are metal rather than fiberglass, so may not be quite so applicable to most here. In fact, there is so much info that it was difficult to come to a firm decision about what to use...in the end I went along with a lot of owners and used Autoglym products (it helped that they were 3 for 2 at Halfrauds).
During the recent mild spell I gave my pride and joy a thorough wash (lambskin mitt, not a sponge - holds all the grit), then a generous coat of SRP ( super resin polish ) and then 2 coats of EGP ( extra gloss protection wax).
Yes, a lot of effort, but the shine was worth it.

Automotive polishes Are very suitable for the gel coats on fibreglass. They cost a fraction of dedicated polishes . Why ? Well its because they re package the same polishes and re brand them. This means they get paid several times as much for the very same products. 

Autoglym SRP (Super Resin Polish) has very very little cut indeed. So polishing a 13 year old vehicle is going to take an absolute age. Thats if it can cut through 13 years of use and grime at all . I seriously doubt it. 

EGP is an extremely low durability wax/sealant. This means you may have the vehicle looking shiney and looking good but trust me it wont last. A few rain showers and it will be gone. 

Applying either a wax or sealant to a large vehicle like a motor home even a small one is an arduous task .So the best wax or sealant to use is one which has great durability. Well unless you/I want to be applying every few weeks. I don't.

The same sealing/waxing and protection applies to normal metal bodywork and fibre glass finishes. I DO NOT have experience of the bonded laminate and composite materials used on many motor homes and/or caravans. Yet  smile!

Honestly it is NOT my wish to criticize but using the right products is not only easier on the pocket but will have far better results and will last many times longer . up!

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine Empty 13 years old Pollensa in need of a shine

Post by spikeymatt Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:05 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:care-avan cleaning and polishing products are ideal for white Coachbuilt vans [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boaby
Thanks will check it out.
spikeymatt
spikeymatt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:31 am

spikeymatt wrote:
burlingtonboaby wrote:care-avan cleaning and polishing products are ideal for white Coachbuilt vans [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boaby
Thanks will check it out.
Hi spikeymatt,
Jaytee has purchased some of their range of products, he may be able a give you a review on them.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine Empty RE: 13 YEARS OLD POLLENSA IN NEED OF A SHINE

Post by cyclo Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:09 am

I have used the Care-avan products on a caravan and motorhome after buying them at the NEC show in 2014.

The polish is good and relatively easy to use but the  results with the shampoo were disappointing. The shampoo

did not remove the black streaks and the Halfords car shampoo I use on the car performed better. At the NEC 

show in February this year I went back to their stand and related these facts but didn't really get a satisfactory

explanation.

David
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:56 am

Charlie and I are of like mind on this, I have spent hours and hours restoring GRP hulled boats and must have tried just about everything to bring back the shine.... and more importantly keep it there.

An example is a navy blue hulled boat moored with the transom ( back bit) facing due south, faded when I first got to it, white chalky and no shine at all.

I used Farecla cutting compound followed by starbrite colour back and after a lot of work it came up brilliantly. This is a serious test for any sealant/wax and the best I found was Meguiars premium flagship which lasted longer than anything else but even that only a couple of months.

Bringing back the shine is the easy part, there are dozens of abrasive products varying from coarse to fine that will bring the colour back, 'you pays your money and takes your choice' but applied properly they will nearly all work in restoring the shine - that is the polishing bit.

Waxing or sealing is the important part. As Charlie has said use a product that will last, I have always been a Meguiars fan but will be trying Collinite next time to get a comparison. Cheap 'polish' is just a waste of time and money. 

And once you have done all that hard work don't wash it with washing up liquid or it will all come off - use a proper shampoo designed for the purpose.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

13 years old Pollensa in need of body shine Empty RE: 13 YEARS OLD POLLENSA IN NEED OF A SHINE

Post by cyclo Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:58 pm

I intend to try Meguiars in the spring. Th current finish is generally good but it is difficult to remove the black marks.

Looking at Meguiars website they do a product called Onestep RV Cleaner/Wax, has anyone any experience of using this?

David
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Sorry no never used it, probably a reasonable product but for long term protection you still need a hard wearing sealer over the top. If you choose Meguiars go for the Gold Class Carnauba plus as a sealer.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by davey Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi I would like to add another product to the mix  I use Crystal Glo it is a marine treatment from canada it is an acrilic polish,contains no silcone,wax or teflon.Use Farcela compound to bring back the shine then polish with Crystal Glo this will last for 6/12 months,I treat mine twice a year and it really shines

Dave
davey
davey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:05 pm

Yes there are indeed two ways to go, either a wax or an acrylic sealer but now we are entering anorak territory! Arguably acrylic sealers last longer but depending on your view carnauba wax gives a deeper shine, each to his own. Autoglym is another popular resin sealer. 

Thanks for the tip on Crystal Glo, Dave. Will be in Canada next week until next Spring so will check it out and maybe bring some back - it will probably be half the price over there!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down