The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External locker drivers side Broadway EB

+5
inspiredron
marconi
Cymro
Peter Brown
Plymouthwelshboy
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

External locker drivers side Broadway EB Empty External locker drivers side Broadway EB

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:37 pm

I know they call it a wet locker and I am finding water in it every time I open it. Lots of water 😱 
So, how does the water get into that locker and has anyone managed to do something that keeps it dry....because it's a real pain 😥
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB 2019
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

External locker drivers side Broadway EB Empty Re: External locker drivers side Broadway EB

Post by Peter Brown Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:11 pm

If it is a wet locker its designed to have drain holes in the bottom (usually under a rubber mat) to let water from hose, levelling blocks etc drain away. Such lockers have however occasionally been found with poor sealing on both door and at joints,
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

External locker drivers side Broadway EB Empty Re: External locker drivers side Broadway EB

Post by Cymro Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:54 pm

Mine on the Nuevo also leaked, badly, from new. AS then (a) stuck a foam rubber seal on the door; and (b) - more importantly - found that the bodywork had not been sealed. Let me explain: put your hand into the locker on its floor, at the left edge (i.e. furthest to front of vehicle. The locker extends inside some 3" or so from the left edge of the door opening. Feel the vertical wall there (i.e. the inside of the nearside skin of the vehicle. The upper and lower parts of the body are joined by horizontal, interlocking U- shaped edges. They should have been sealed with a bead of mastic along those 3" or so of horizontal join. Mine had none. [Incidentally, neither had the external gas and electricity sockets have any seal inside the van, causing water to run into that locker, until they sealed that as well.].

Both lockers have been cork dry since.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:59 pm

Thanks guys will take s look
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:26 pm

My Nuevo wet locker was dry sometimes and let in water at others. It's a thin, wobbly, easily distorted fiberglass shell.  On careful inspection I could see that it had warped and no longer bedded onto the fixed seal. I tightened the latches so that it shut tight needing, some pressure to be able to turn the key and each time I use my knee from below to lift the end that had dropped. 

Note the hinges had not dropped it was only warping of the fiberglass. I had a new Abbey Caravan (Swift Group) the front locker lid on that did exactly the same warping tricks and there were reports on the same model of the wind getting under when towing and ripping the whole lot off.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:02 pm

thanks Marconi - ours has been standing for several weeks now and yet every time I drain that locker - it is flooded with water again by the next visit, a week later. I have put extra neoprene tape around the sides of the locker hatch lid to no avail. It is a very tight fit to turn the key as well. I will investigate what cymro said as well and see if that is the issue. thanks for your help everyone.
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:51 am

Plymouthwelshboy: I should have added that when parked at home, my van slopes to its front. The water in the locker was thus always at the front, next to the joint in the sides (described above). I suppose that if my van sloped backwards when parked, the water would accumulate on the right-hand side of the locker. I assume that the horizontal seam is also on that right-hand side too, so perhaps that should also be checked.

Happy hunting!
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:43 pm

I'm mystified - external locker DRIVER'S side? Is it a LHD vehicle? Cymro seems to be talking about one on the passenger side "sloping backwards - water at right hand end".  All the Nuevos I have seen have the wet locker on the UK passenger side.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:02 am

Ron: I was certainly describing the locker in the nearside (passenger side) skirt of my Nuevo. I had assumed that Plymouthwelshboy was referring to such a locker. I had entirely overlooked his reference to Driver's side in the title to the thread. 
Like you, I'm now also mystified. Thanks fo pointing that out, Ron.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:07 pm

Cymro wrote:Ron: I was certainly describing the locker in the nearside (passenger side) skirt of my Nuevo. I had assumed that Plymouthwelshboy was referring to such a locker. I had entirely overlooked his reference to Driver's side in the title to the thread. 
Like you, I'm now also mystified. Thanks fo pointing that out, Ron.

Cymro

Shall we have a 'me too' on this. I totally disregarded the reference in the title, but then as Shakespeare would have put it, what is in a title an A-S wet locker by any other name would leak as much.
marconi
marconi

Male

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:18 pm

Of course the 'wet locker' on the offside could contain the toilet cassette and hence the source of water.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:28 pm

ithis broadway certainly has the wet locker on the uk offside

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:41 pm

Undeniable - first one I've seen but I didn't see any new vans last year.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:44 pm

I googled pics of Broadway's a lot this morning and none had that locker, just done it again and it
your picture comes at the top?  I wonder if there is an interior water tank a la Broughton above it?

Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:00 pm

on my search, every broadway EB had the locker in the same place.
are you sure youre looking at EBs?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:07 pm

No, I wasn't limiting it to EB and when I do, they all have it. I'm not sure if I've seen an EB in real life as most people I know have the EK.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:18 pm

Well, well - Live and Learn.

Anyway, be that as it may, in Bolero Boy's helpful photo you can see the horizontal seams to which I referred in my email above, which in my van hadn't been sealed, thereby allowing water to get into the locker.
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:40 pm

Cymro, is the 'seam' you mention the upper edge of the locker surrounding 'frame'?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:48 pm

well i checked all the seams - done very well - so where the hell is the water coming from.....as i sponge it out again today - genuinely baffled!
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Is it after rain that you find water or just every time you go in there?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Bolero Boy: please see attached phot of mine, looking rearwards (on nearside!) at the underskirt locker. The seams to which I refer are immediately to the left of the locker opening - and on the inside the locker floor extends left . Same on right of locker opening. Those horizontal seams join 2 parts of bodywork. Mine were not sealed inside.
Cymro

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:17 pm

you now what cymro - I'll go back and check those seams again because it is every time it rains - water gets in. I have double checked the seams but that has to be the only answer - there has to be a gap somewhere. I have taped up the locker door with neoprene tape and I just cant believe its getting through that - it is now such a good fit. 
baffling and very frustrating but I like a challenge. I wonder why A/S refer to it as a wet locker though.....
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:30 pm

Using Cymro's picture (or rather, part thereof) including Welsh raindrops  smile!

When I stood back and looked at the gap indicated by the arrows it was not parallel, being larger at the left hand end smaller at the right due to the Hatch Door being twisted. The fixed rubber seal was level so that the seal on the door on the right hand side sat above the fixed seal and there was a gap for water to run in.

Lifting the left side when locking lowers the right side and the seal is made.

I devised a test to prove where the water enters. Pieces of kitchen roll folded into squares four along the front of the empty locker floor and four along the rear.

The front right hand one got soaked on a wet day, the second from right less wet, all others dry, indicating a drip from the righthand end of the seal.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:28 pm

as the locker is fully external, presumably it sits under the floor, i can see that keeping it fully dry might not have been the designers priority...it is, as Peter says, a 'wet' locker for chucking wet kit...
unfortunately, stored wet kit wont dry there, it merely wont get anything else inside the van wet...
having said that, i would still have expected the locker to have been built with sufficient integrity to have had a waterproof seal...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:49 pm

the more I own an autosleeper, the more baffled I become by some of the design features - this locker, the EC700 unit and solar panel issues.....maybe its just our moho - but so far having bought it in september  it has been back to the dealer three times for a litany of issues: peeling trim, broken oven door; collapsed draws; sticking draws; roof leak through aerial socket; broken locking catch on toilet cassette external door; flattening batteries; a broken heating system and panel; broken central locking - twice; a non retracting electric step; a tow bar that wouldn't allow a thule bike rack to be fitted to it; wardrobe panel coming away from side; lack of sealant around toilet where it joins bathroom walls; front wheel mudflaps which are too small and so allow mud to spray down the driver and passenger doors and side panels; and a wet locker which looks like a swimming pool!

Dont get me wrong - we love the design; we love the layout; there are some features which are wonderful - ample electric sockets - the roomy shower, well designed bathroom, the light and space and general airyness;  when it functions as it should - it is blissful - but some of the workmanship is questionable or ill thought out it seems. Having never owned a motorhome before and having not seen what other brands/makes are like in terms of snagging I guess it is wrong to criticise.....but it does seem strange. Still the problems are being sorted and once done - it will be a fantastic motorhome.
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next