The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External locker drivers side Broadway EB

+5
inspiredron
marconi
Cymro
Peter Brown
Plymouthwelshboy
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

External locker drivers side Broadway EB - Page 3 Empty Re: External locker drivers side Broadway EB

Post by Guest Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:29 pm

i realise that you are very frugal (Spartan?) with your kit TW, but not everyone is like that, and the Broadway is marketed as a modern luxury couples' van in which to enjoy extended breaks....for many, part of moden vanning is being kitted up for those mentioned long trips/stays. 
without a tow car to put stuff, which probably helped you with storage when you caravanned with a small van, some sort of sensible external locker seems essential in MH..of whatever size.
and whats the point in providing an outside BBQ point if there's nowhere to carry a BBQ?
i am not ruling out us (perhaps) having a PVC at some time in the future, but it would certainly have a proper bed and externally accessed storage and not a sleeping bag in sight. we sleep together in a proper bed at home and, when spending 30 weeks a year touring, i see no need to do things differently when away...why be 'ingenious' with a sleeping bag when we can have a proper bed.
its certainly possible, with a change in priorities and design focus, to have a 6.5m rear lounged MH (like the Broadway EL) that has good storage and doesn't require the bed to be made up every day...
anyway my point was to highlight how vans from different markets put emphasis on different storage priorities, bearing in mind the 'continental lockers' mentioned upthread by Marconi.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

External locker drivers side Broadway EB - Page 3 Empty Re: External locker drivers side Broadway EB

Post by Peter Brown Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:53 pm

Nice big puddle under the mat below the level of the drain holes. Its not moved for 5 months so can't be from road spray. Jet washer against all joints and no ingress so can only assume it is dregs drained from pipes with no where to go. I'll check again after next heavy rain.

I've put a couple of extra drain holes at the lowest points with four plastic self adhesive bubble stops around each to stop the mat from blocking them.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:59 pm

"... i realise that you are very frugal (Spartan?) with your kit TW..."

Gee, you have such a way with words, BB. sniggerWhistle1
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:19 pm

marconi wrote:My Nuevo wet locker was dry sometimes and let in water at others. It's a thin, wobbly, easily distorted fiberglass shell.  On careful inspection I could see that it had warped and no longer bedded onto the fixed seal. I tightened the latches so that it shut tight needing, some pressure to be able to turn the key and each time I use my knee from below to lift the end that had dropped. 

Note the hinges had not dropped it was only warping of the fiberglass. I had a new Abbey Caravan (Swift Group) the front locker lid on that did exactly the same warping tricks and there were reports on the same model of the wind getting under when towing and ripping the whole lot off.

Just a quick correction.

It has been a long time since I cured my locker leak, temporarily it seems, and whilst I still lift one end of the door and use my knee to hold it in place whilst I apply hand pressure and turn the key repeating at the other end. I give the wrong impression above for the reason why.

There is no fixed seal around the opening just a White push on edge protector. The rubber seal is Black and is fitted on the door. If the door is warped as mine is, the Black seal touches the white edge trim which interferes with the seal. Hence my lifting ensures that it touches the door surround all round and attempts to make a seal.

I was reminded of this yesterday when I cleared out the locker.
Had I have been shown this set up put forward as a way to produce a watertight seal I would say "You are joking are you not". The bending radius of the rubber seal on the corners of the door is such that the shape is distorted. The center bulges out further than the two ribs which are the primary points of the seal.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi Marconi - I'm beginning to wonder whether its actually the door as ell - although I haven't quite worked out how or why. I think next week I will increase sealant along gaps in the roof area of the locker and then see what happens after that. So irritating - I have an old boat with less leaks than this new motorhome!
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:51 pm

As Peter said its called a "Wet Locker" by AS, its only any good for storing levellers or wellies etc, having said that ours doesn't get that much water in, not that I'm that bothered as it is what it is... if it was meant to be watertight it wouldn't have drainage holes in the floor.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3