The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourton 2019

4 posters

Go down

Bourton 2019  Empty Bourton 2019

Post by Lainie Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:33 pm

Please can anyone help or advise what we might be doing wrong! 🙏
Today we put Puriclean into our new to us Bourton 2019’s water system to give the system a clean through. After leaving it for a while we tried for the first time to put the hot water system on to run hot water through all taps. We put the thermometer water symbol on the Thule control box above the hab door to hot (and it started flashing as per instructions) we switched the power indicator to Elec 2 as on home EHU and waited. The boiler warmed up and warm air came out of the top of two vent/hoses beneath the wardrobe. All other vents were cold as heating wasn’t on. The thermometer symbol did not stop flashing but after waiting approx 15 minutes and putting the pump on and turning a tap on to warm no hot water came through. It was not as cold as on the cold tap setting but not warm or hot at all. 

Please what are we doing wrong? We didn’t get a proper delivery hand over due to Covid restrictions and that we have owned a MH before although not an Auto-Sleeper make. We previously had an Aldi heating system before and it always gave us hot water quite quickly on arrival to a site. So don’t quite understand what is wrong with this system. I pray that we are missing something and that nothing has failed as I am really worried as to why we have not gained hot water.

Sorry for my long post but I really would be grateful for some help and advice. 
Thank you blush
Lainie
Lainie

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Bourton 2019  Empty Re: Bourton 2019

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:15 pm

I guess by 'Thule' you actually meant 'Truma'?...it's a Combi no doubt?
I've had several and I've never had heat coming from any outlets when only Hot Water is set....the aire requires the fan to be on for it to come out...
With hot water only, set to HOT (60 deg) the water should be pretty hot after 25 mins or so..after 15 mins from stone cold the water won't be much beyond like warm.
If you've actually got the heating on as well, the water will take far longer to warm.
Youre probably doing things ok, just need to check the settings and wait a bit Longer.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:21 pm

Firstly, not that the water was hot as you expected, but did the water flow from the tap normally without splutter? Just seen BBs post so most likely he's correct.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Lainie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lainie Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:52 pm

Thank you for your replies. Sorry yes it is Truma (not Thule 🤯) and a combi boiler. Yes the water did splutter from the taps initially but then flowed normally on both the hot and cold settings.
Perhaps we just didn’t wait long enough for it to heat up. My husband seams to think that it heats the water as it’s drawn so water should come through the taps hot quite quickly? 🤔
I also read something about putting the gas on to operate the boiler, which we didn’t do because we were using EHU on our drive. So not sure if this is something we should have done? 
I have also read something about filling the boiler. I trust this is done automatically from the water tank and not something that is a separate process we should have done? 
Oh dear this is all a worry that we haven’t experienced before with our Elddis and it’s Alde system.
Lainie
Lainie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ourannie Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 pm

Yes your right the boiler does fill automatically from the main tank once the air is out of the taps with the pump on and yes your right again by putting the gas also whould make the water heat up much quicker. Dont worry  your doing fine
ourannie
ourannie

Female

Lainie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:19 am

As above, the hot water isn't heated as its drawn through the tap, it's a tank that needs heating...
The setting EL2 provides 1800w of electric heat to the boiler and will heat from room temp to 60 deg in 25 ish minutes....from stone cold, possibly 35mins.
Using gas to heat the water will provide 2000w gas burner so will be fractionally faster, say 20 mins.
While there is a MIX setting which uses dual fuel for heating, when set to Mix for hot water only, the unit will only use electric.
Hopefully you're sorted by now but don't panic.
Alde systems have some advantages over Truma (they are better for heating a large van where radiators can be placed all over the van) but they are slower to get up to full heat...fluids take longer to warm than air...
Buy the same token this is also the advantage (heats quickly) and disadvantage of a blown air system, air cools faster than fluid and is what makes it difficult to get a good hot air flow to extremities of a large van and why a centraly placed Combi with equal length (balanced) ducting will give far better service than one placed at one end of the van with unequal length ducting.
Not a problem for an Alde system as the fluid remains hot even in a long pipe run.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Lainie Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:41 am

BB Thank you so much for your excellent explanatory reply. We do have a smaller Motorhome now and the boiler is in the middle of the vehicle so that makes sense with the blown air heating explanation. I found the Alde radiator along the wall of the French Bed in our previous MH too hot to sleep next to and was one of our reasons for changing.
I plan to put the boiler on when I open up this morning and wait in hope everything works as it should and we have hot water. 🙏🍀
I will report back! Thanks so much! blush
Lainie
Lainie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:03 am

Lainie, it's always good to periodically give the van appliances a work out, especially when out of use for a while...I've done this myself recently.
Try the fridge on gas, electric and even on 12v with the engine running.
Try the heating and hot water on EL2, gas and Mix....and the hot water as you are doing.
With the van on the drive, it's so easy to quickly run through these checks and pre-empt any issues when you take the van out in a few weeks.
Test your 230v sockets when you're hooked up and any 12v ones, lights as well....even your oven for a few minute and the hob burners.
Now you will have done pretty much most of a 'habitation check' and you'll be set fair for you're next outing.
Good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Lainie Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:16 pm

Excellent advice again BB. Although a full Hab check was done by Auto Sleepers in Nov we have been checking that everything is working and more so that we know how to use the basic necessary equipment. Hence a Puriclean flush through for the water system. We haven’t even tried to look at the inet yet.
Thankfully your and others advice given to me on here has helped me to successfully get hot water! 🎉
I am very grateful! blush
Lainie
Lainie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:08 am

Well done!👍
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:44 am

Reading through the various posts, if you didn't flush the water through first, you will have been heating an empty tank. You need to run the hot taps until they stop sputtering to ensure the tank is full.  Then you are actually heating the water, not the air in the tank.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Lainie Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:55 am

Thanks matchlessman, yes we did run all taps and shower through on both hot and cold settings until all air was out and water was flowing. We had checked all the system was set to go including closure of the dump valve. It appears we just simply weren’t waiting long enough for the boiler to heat the water. With our previous  Alde system it heated quicker so we were going on that timeline. 
We waited as advised above and got 60c water through all the system so could run the Puriclean through as planned. Thank goodness!
Lainie
Lainie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:51 pm

Phew. Glad you're sorted.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male