The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wardrobe Light

+8
Molly3
Kemerton-bath
spanner
Caraman
marconi
PLOUGHLIN
pstallwood
rventhusiast
12 posters

Go down

Wardrobe Light Empty Wardrobe Light

Post by rventhusiast Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:29 am

Hi, the wardrobe light in our 2017 Bourton has stopped working. Like most others it normally operates automatically when the door is opened but I can’t find a ‘switch’ anywhere - it seems to operate by the door pushing it away from the inside frame when it closes.

However, it’s more likely to be the bulb itself but I am not sure what type it is or where to get a replacement. It is a glass filament with two metal prongs that simply push fit into the light fitting. Anyone know what this may be and where to obtain them?

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Wardrobe Light Empty Re: Wardrobe Light

Post by pstallwood Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:52 am

There should be a little plastic switch that is pushed in when the door is closed to switch the light off. 

Ours does the same thing but if I jiggle the switch a bit the light comes on and will work properly for a while until it stops again. I keep thinking of doing something about it but have not bothered so far.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:41 pm

One of htese perhaps?  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Whilst you are buying a bulb, save lots of Solar Power and wasted heat, buy an LED replacement bulb a 1Watt will flood the Wardrobe with light, ToolStation do them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When I bought the Nuevo the light was on full time when the EC700 was on. the fitment got very hot and consumed nearly 1 Amp Hour, another thing they missed at PDI. I couldn't easily adjust the fitment so I fixed an adhesive rubber foot to the Wardrobe door as an actuator.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:59 pm

I also changed to a LED bulb.  I found refitting the plastic light cover to be fiddly.  I had to do it a couple of times after it was struck with a clothes hanger so I'm more used to it now.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 am

Thanks everyone will get one of the LED bulbs from toolstation and give it a try.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:26 pm

The switch failed on ours so I replaced the whole light with an LED version of the original, the LED version gives about 3 times the light of the original, a worthwhile upgrade

spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:48 pm

spanner wrote:The switch failed on ours so I replaced the whole light with an LED version of the original, the LED version gives about 3 times the light of the original, a worthwhile upgrade

Just received the LED bulb from Toolstation that Marconi posted a link to (£7 delivery for a tiny bulb!) fitted it and........it’s pathetic. In the dark I can just about make out the rail. So, have sent for the replacement LED fitting - free delivery.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:04 pm

This is the one I ordered with free click & collect and its fine:

Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:16 pm

I used a Philips LED G4 from Screwfix (link below), rated at 105 lumen so a bit brighter than the version from Toolstation.  It’s fine and casts enough light for the wardrobe.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:26 pm

A battery  operated  led motion sensor  light  could be an option  ,plus  it won't drain the battery if the  door is not properly  closed  .mine has gone  but it is at  the bottom of the to do .list ,   A bit off topic  I have  one  in the  lounge  that comes  on when I have a night  visit  and one in the  toilet that comes on when the  door is opened. .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:38 pm

It may have been you, Molly3, or Quilter, who recommended on the Forum a magnetic-strip LED rechargeable light with motion sensor - my wife and I are most grateful: we bought a couple, and they are perfect for a kitchen corner under-worksurface cupboard. Open the door; light comes on; easy to see what you need on the whirligig basket shelves; close door and light goes off after a few seconds. Lasts a few months between recharges. So Thanks!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:40 pm

Given enough Voltage from the Leisure Battery, I wonder if David got a dud LED Lamp.

I searched hard for an LED replacement and found my first one in Spain. The shop only had a 4 Watt 400lm version which is physically quite a bit bigger than the Halogen bulb it replaces, however it still fits nicely and of course runs cool. For me it was far too bright but it still only consumes around a third of the Halogen Current, I purchased it knowing that I had a good use for it at home in a Reading Lamp. Plus I knew that back home ToolStation and Screwfix stock them and they can be had over the counter.

Anyone wanting Operating Theatre brightness or something in between has a nice Power / Lumens range to choose from.

marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:01 pm

Hi Marconi - think I got the wrong one it is only 80lm but I hadn’t realised. Got the replacement fitting coming which looks like it uses a round fitting with eight or so LEDs. We are living in the van on hook up with lithium battery system so no voltage issues there. 

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:10 am

LEDs can be very temperamental. I've had problems when replacing halogens on both 12V and 240V. Flashing can be a frequent issue. I've had that on an outside PIR operated light which flashed continually at about once a second, on mains candle bulbs fitted to a conservatory fan plus lights fitting which will sometimes come on fully immediately but will more often flash for several minutes before settling and on a 12V MR16 that flickers very rapidly for a few minutes before settling. The most bizarre is a 118mm dimmable 25W (?) R7s fitted in place of a 300W halogen. It is switched on by a click on/off rotary switch which then rotates to full brightness. When off the LED glows gently and then, as the switch is turned on and rotated it passes through 3 distinct and abrupt levels of brightness.

Last edited by inspiredron on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Autocorrect!)

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:51 am

LEDs don’t dim particularly well, certainly not when compared to a halogen lamp. Unless the dimmer is designed for LED (and vice versa) there’s likely to be flickering, flat spots and unreliable performance overall. Even then there’s a degree of luck involved. LEDs designed for retrofitting into 230V lamp holders are notoriously bad at being dimmed, mainly because they’re often too small to incorporate the electronics needed for dimmer compatibility. The LED market has also been flooded with a lot of poor quality product from China, which compounds the problem.

I’ve learned from experience when replacing filament lamps with LEDs to use well-established manufacturers such as Philips and Osram. Check that the product can be dimmed, and select a dimmer that’s LED compatible, again from a reputable supplier.  Success is not 100% guaranteed, but stands the best chance. In spite all of that effort don’t set your expectations too high, because the quality of light from a dimmed LED is nowhere near as good as from a dimmed halogen. Even the warmest LEDs go grey as they dim and they won’t dim to as low a light level as a halogen will.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:17 am

I had a strange experience with a LED 32w garden floodlight, with night sensor. It wasn't cheap, but it did what it said on the tin. At first.

Returning from a weekend away, about a month after installing it high up on the garage wall, a neighbour politely told me that there was something wrong with the lamp: it switched on and off every other second, and was driving him crazy!

All set to dismantle, I found the cause. The wisteria had grown, such that one leaf was by now in front of the light sensor. After dusk, the sensor decided that (in the shade of the leaf) it was night, and turned on the LED. Whereupon the brightness reflected from the leaf made the sensor decide that it was daytime and so it turned off the light. Then, of course, the sensor decided that (in the shade of the leaf) it was night, and turned on the LED........ and so on.

I now trim the wisteria as necessary!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:13 am

Had same with a wildlife cam. Set it up with lots of hope after first night 1000 images!!!!!
All of a tree branch moving, thought it was an IR sensor, it was motion detector!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:37 pm

Kemerton-bath wrote:LEDs don’t dim particularly well, certainly not when compared to a halogen lamp. Unless the dimmer is designed for LED (and vice versa) there’s likely to be flickering, flat spots and unreliable performance overall. Even then there’s a degree of luck involved. LEDs designed for retrofitting into 230V lamp holders are notoriously bad at being dimmed, mainly because they’re often too small to incorporate the electronics needed for dimmer compatibility. The LED market has also been flooded with a lot of poor quality product from China, which compounds the problem.

I’ve learned from experience when replacing filament lamps with LEDs to use well-established manufacturers such as Philips and Osram. Check that the product can be dimmed, and select a dimmer that’s LED compatible, again from a reputable supplier.  Success is not 100% guaranteed, but stands the best chance. In spite all of that effort don’t set your expectations too high, because the quality of light from a dimmed LED is nowhere near as good as from a dimmed halogen. Even the warmest LEDs go grey as they dim and they won’t dim to as low a light level as a halogen will.

Tim
Oddly enough I don't need the dimming on the R7S. It is handy with a halogen as it reduces heat output. It's the gentle glow when off that grates - I guess that it's a slight current leak in the potentiometer that would have been burning juice 24/7 since I bought the lamp standard 15 years ago and was never visible with a Halogen R7S.!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:43 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:One of htese perhaps?  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
These Halogen lamps can get very hot, possibly hot enough to melt the cover... if it hasn't fallen off!

I've used a multi-LED for a couple of years without issue... apart from the cover falling off.....  content

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:17 pm

lol Have now fitted the LED version of the wardrobe light recommended by spanner above. Brilliant, can see right to the back/bottom of the cupboard.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Back to top Go down