The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clocks go back this weekend - why bother?

+10
mikethebike
Bobskate
groundhog
TeamRienza
Paulmold
Cymro
Bad Penny
bikeralw
Gromit
Dbvwt
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Clocks go back this weekend - why bother? - Page 2 Empty Re: Clocks go back this weekend - why bother?

Post by mikethebike Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:14 pm

It will not be long before you have Scottish summer time. Maybe sooner than you think. hugegrins

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Clocks go back this weekend - why bother? - Page 2 Empty Re: Clocks go back this weekend - why bother?

Post by Askit Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Bilbobaggins wrote:AFIK we are currently under British Summer Time, which is Greenwich Mean Time + 1 hour, on Sunday we revert to GMT, so the change that needs abandoned is the March one to BST, would make telling time with my sundial easier..it is a real b****er to move it back and forth twice a year allthumbz

I've got 4 timers in different rooms at home, switching lights on and off. As we are away right now I was trying to figure out how best to set them so they didn't come on at stupid o'clock. Took me about two days to reach a conclusion (which was probably wrong anyway  biggrin).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:46 pm

External forces may influence what happens if the European Union vote to abolish summer time which they have proposed. Can’t remember wether they need to be unanimous or when they propose it, but read about it somewhere recently.

There could then be the situation in Ireland were N. Ireland is on Uk time while the south is on euro time. Here on the east coast of N. Ireland we are technically 20 minutes different to Greeenwich. Often we see a live news report from London where it is dark, but we are still in daylight though fading. The difference in Latitude also affects this.

Portugal seems to manage happily on the European land mass with a different time zone to all except the British Isles.

I wonder how large countries with perhaps multiple zones get on. You could, and probably do have, villages or towns close to each other but in different zones.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:57 am

Just recovered from effort earlier this morning to change clocks to GMT. Fortunately most adjust automatically, but in the house still had three analogue clocks that were quick and easy to change, plus cooker clock which is a nightmare. Doubles as clock and timer/alarm although I have never used it as the latter. However as usual I did manage to set the alarm off while trying to adjust the time.

Then out to vehicles. Three cars, all Toyota ( 2x Yaris and one auris hybrid). Each has a different method of accessing clock adjustment leaving me bewildered and confused even before I climbed  into the WXL. When we bought the van it had an aftermarket radio fitted, after struggling to find a menu option for clock setting and getting more frustrated  I went back to home screen and only then noticed the time was correct and radio automatically updates.
Next the dashboard clock, don't find the Peugeot controls intuitive and I suppose they remind me of menus navigation in 1990s mobile phone. Mission eventually accomplished after much muttering and cursing, then on to final two clocks in habitation area, the main control panel and Truma control. Glad to report these were easy and achieved in a couple of minutes.

Back indoor for seat in darkened room and welcome coffee to help recovery.

In March I will have forgotten how each vehicle is changed and will go through whole frustrating process again shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:08 pm

hugegrins Everybody needs a hobby  winks

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Slaphead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2