The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clocks go back this weekend - why bother?

+10
mikethebike
Bobskate
groundhog
TeamRienza
Paulmold
Cymro
Bad Penny
bikeralw
Gromit
Dbvwt
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Clocks go back this weekend - why bother? Empty Clocks go back this weekend - why bother?

Post by Dbvwt Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:42 pm

I’ve just noticed that the clocks go back this weekend and it got me thinking if it would make any difference to me if the whole thing was scrapped.
The bottom line is no, I can’t think of anything in my life it would affect.

I will happily listen to any reasons why it is still relevant anymore and eat my hat (sorry Covid mask) if I’m wrong!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Clocks go back this weekend - why bother? Empty Re: Clocks go back this weekend - why bother?

Post by Gromit Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 pm

As an elderly retired person it makes no difference to me either.

When I was in the day job I would always have preferred daylight in the evenings, rather than in the morning. 

Apart from that I'm as underwhelmed as Dbvwt!  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Clocks go back this weekend - why bother? Empty Re: Clocks go back this weekend - why bother?

Post by bikeralw Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:15 pm

Same here, I'd prefer DST all year round.
But isn't that what the powers always threaten to abolish, they say clocks back and keep them back.
The downside of GMT all year would be early dark evenings in April/May, just the time we like to tour.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Isn't it something to do with children going to school in the dark.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:35 pm

Bad Penny wrote:Isn't it something to do with children going to school in the dark.

Don’t Smart phones have torches on them? smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Have never bothered to reset clocks in the Nuevo: it always runs on GMT+1, to fool me into thinking it's summer. 

(Could be something to do with not remembering how to reset the Peugeot dashboard clock; the Truma clock; and the remote Panel clock!  Took me years on one car to remember how to find the instructions in the index to the handbook: you'd think it would be under C for clock? Or at a stretch, R for Re-setting clock? Oh no - under D. Cunning people, those Germans. D for Digital Clock!)

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:01 pm

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:12 pm

In our van the wall clock is adjusted to BST/GMT/CET as appropriate. Simply lift clock off the wall and twirl the knob. The radio clock stays on BST as it is a bit harder to adjust, and the dashboard clock stays on French summertime.

It means we always have the ‘right’ time in the van depending where you look!

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:44 pm

On the basis I haven't worn a watch in many years I shall just ignore the clock, no idea what day it is most of the time so what hour has no chance wave
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:46 pm

Just added up the clocks I have to change. Not counting the van and car clocks, I have 8 quartz wall clocks, 36 mechanical travel clocks, 6 alarm clocks, 18 wristwatches and 5 pocket watches..
However the wristwatch I mostly wear is controlled by a radio signal and sets itself.. 
Did I mention I have a bit of a clock fetish..
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 pm

Slightly off topic but there used to be a clock museum near the Mansion House in London. The best time to be there was noon when all the clocks chimed in unison. A cacophony of sound!
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:10 pm

I am sure we had double summer time some years ago?
Is it worth changing for 1 hour each year.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:13 pm

I found the answer it was 1971 when it finished. No reason to stop.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:25 pm

mikethebike wrote:I found the answer it was 1971 when it finished. No reason to stop.

Micky

I was just 7 then mike and I remember being more worried that I couldn’t get as many blackjacks for my penny after decimalisation!
Care to elaborate.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Dbvwt, if you lived in the north of Scotland (and even where us folk in the soft centre live) I guarantee you wouldn't be asking the question in your OP.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Doris likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Askit wrote:Dbvwt, if you lived in the north of Scotland (and even where us folk in the soft centre live) I guarantee you wouldn't be asking the question in your OP.

I’m interested to learn and understand Askit.

it’s a bit like the winterisation thread, we all live on the same small island but circumstances are so different in different locations.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:28 pm

The clock in our Rienza is a right pain to adjust. After we had the dash repaired I questioned this problem with the repairers and they said some are difficult.
The main problem is pressing the button to re set the time. It’s very hard to keep pressed not helped with my arthritic hands.
If we were putting the Rienza in storage I would leave it but hopefully we should be out as regularly as possible.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:55 am

Dbvwt wrote:
Askit wrote:Dbvwt, if you lived in the north of Scotland (and even where us folk in the soft centre live) I guarantee you wouldn't be asking the question in your OP.

I’m interested to learn and understand Askit.

it’s a bit like the winterisation thread, we all live on the same small island but circumstances are so different in different locations.

Dave, if you read the link Paul put on above you will see that if the clocks didn't change sunrise in the far north of Scotland would not occur until 10am. In the Central belt we would be talking about it still being dark at 9am and children going to school and coming back in darkness.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:54 am

I see your point, it’s bad enough at the moment when I wake up and it’s still dark at 7am!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:30 pm

Askit wrote:Dave, if you read the link Paul put on above you will see that if the clocks didn't change sunrise in the far north of Scotland would not occur until 10am. In the Central belt we would be talking about it still being dark at 9am and children going to school and coming back in darkness.
Hi Tony

Scotland seems to go it alone in everything else, so why not have your own time zone?

That would be interesting!  Whistle1
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

mikethebike and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:54 pm

You beat me too it Dave!
Mind you with the current regime it'd manage to be dark 24 hrs a day!!!
hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Gromit wrote:
Askit wrote:Dave, if you read the link Paul put on above you will see that if the clocks didn't change sunrise in the far north of Scotland would not occur until 10am. In the Central belt we would be talking about it still being dark at 9am and children going to school and coming back in darkness.
Hi Tony

Scotland seems to go it alone in everything else, so why not have your own time zone?

That would be interesting!  Whistle1

That's been suggested before, it was rejected AFAIK because the different time zones would create problems for some businesses (although other countries seem to manage)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:55 pm

IanH wrote:You beat me too it Dave!
Mind you with the current regime it'd manage to be dark 24 hrs a day!!!
hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins

Ian, a lot of us are reasonably happy with those in charge up here right now. But you can't please everyone  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:55 pm

It doesn't make any difference changing your clock time in Scotland. Have to go for shorter working day. wave

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:05 pm

AFIK we are currently under British Summer Time, which is Greenwich Mean Time + 1 hour, on Sunday we revert to GMT, so the change that needs abandoned is the March one to BST, would make telling time with my sundial easier..it is a real b****er to move it back and forth twice a year allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next