The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On Board Water Usage

+11
sunidorset
bikeralw
gassygassy
IanH
Bobskate
Quilter
Gromit
Gollum
rgermain
Askit
Uncle Mort
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

On Board Water Usage Empty On Board Water Usage

Post by Uncle Mort Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:20 pm

Hello All,
I may sound like a novice but have actually been motorhoming for 15 years now. I now have a 2016 AS Nuevo with Truma CP plus control and Combi (E) boiler. The problem is that I would always use good (C&M or C&C Club) sites with excellent facilities so in the past have v rarely bothered to fill the water tank or use the boiler. I have never showered on board or used the WC for other than basic overnight emergencies. However, given the current situation, in order to get away from home after 6 months of boredom, I will have to learn how to use the Nuevo controls which I find a bit confusing compared with my previous Lunar MH. My queries are as follows....

1. Does the Truma boiler automatically fill with the water tank? I fear operating a dry boiler!! When I tried filling, the tank WAS, emptying via the freeze control until I defaulted the blue button!

2.In order to use a tap, it would appear I have to press a Pump switch on the AS control board. Is this correct? My previous MH had tap pressure switch so water flowed automatically.  If I need to press another button, this seems a retrograde step!

3.The control panel mentions 'Pump Select', Select Both? Are there 2 pumps? Why? What do they do?

4. How accurate is clean tank level gauge? With 25%, 50% etc. this seems a bit random. Does it over or under estimate at eg. 50%.

5. Have members experienced any particular problems with showering on board? I have always been reluctant as I fear introducing large volumes of water into a space I would normally prefer to keep dry due to potential damp or condensation issues afterwards.

Many Thanks in anticipation.....
Uncle Mort
Uncle Mort

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

On Board Water Usage Empty Re: On Board Water Usage

Post by Askit Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. In relation to your questions;

1 Yes, the boiler will fill automatically when you fill and you do need to check the freeze control button is locked first.
2 Yes, you are correct
3 The two pumps are the internal one which operates all taps in the van and external which enables the Whale system of filling the fresh water tank should you wish to use it.
4 The fresh water gauge is, as you say, fairly random. At a reading of 50% it will be holding between 50% and 75%. Ours is still working after nearly 6 years (not everyone has been so lucky) and it offers enough for us to know how much we have on board.
5 Can't help as we don't use ours for showering although many do and it seems to work for them.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:04 pm

As Tony says. 

Just add about shower, no problems, make sure the shower door is shut or you get wet carpets! We tend to use the shower not to late so as to let any condensation out and let the curtain dry out. These cubicles are built to get wet, just watch out for any damp patches, ie nicks in the wallpaper etc.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gollum Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Askit wrote:Welcome to the forum. In relation to your questions;

1 Yes, the boiler will fill automatically when you fill and you do need to check the freeze control button is locked first.
2 Yes, you are correct
3 The two pumps are the internal one which operates all taps in the van and external which enables the Whale system of filling the fresh water tank should you wish to use it.
4 The fresh water gauge is, as you say, fairly random. At a reading of 50% it will be holding between 50% and 75%. Ours is still working after nearly 6 years (not everyone has been so lucky) and it offers enough for us to know how much we have on board.
5 Can't help as we don't use ours for showering although many do and it seems to work for them.

Further to Askit's rely. Item 1, yes the combi will fill providing that you make sure the freeze control is locked and more importantly you open one hot tap by itself until water is flowing normally. If the combi is empty and this is not done it will remain empty even through the cold tap is running ok as the air in the combi has nowwhere to go until a hot tap is opened! Item 4 The guage is not 100% acurate but given time and usage you will get to know how much water you have is left for a given level indicated on the guage. Item 5, Never had a problem with our Neuvo (not sure if yours has the brilliant swing out shower cubicle), we just rub down the walls with a jcloth to remove any access water and let it dry. Also do make sure the van is level so the water makes it's way down the plughole and dosen't pool somewhere away from it.
Gollum
Gollum

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo ES
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:07 pm

Gollum wrote:
Askit wrote:Welcome to the forum. In relation to your questions;

2 Yes, you are correct

Further to Askit's rely. Item 1, yes the combi will fill providing that you make sure the freeze control is locked and more importantly you open one hot tap by itself until water is flowing normally. If the combi is empty and this is not done it will remain empty even through the cold tap is running ok as the air in the combi has nowwhere to go until a hot tap is opened!

I guess we're lucky because we've never had to do that, even when filling after draining down.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:29 pm

when filling the water system from completely empty, the combi boiler will pretty much fill without doing a lot, however there will be a bit of airlocked pressure in the top which will become apparent as a hot tap is gently opened....it will hiss and splutter for a bit...as the air clears and more water replaces it...a few seconds and all should be well.
as for using showers....or indeed toilets.....using them for what they are designed for (showering and full usage) will not harm them...thousands of MHers do just that every time they use the van.
we dont have 'wallpaper' in our shower cubicle (why would we, its a shower?) its just plastic lined and easily cleaned.
just use it as intended along with the toilet....might be quite a revalation, opening up other camping opportunities (like lovely small CL sites) away from the formulaic club sites you are used to...plenty of gems out there to discover when you become a shower/toilet user:big thumbs up:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:49 pm

bolero boy wrote:when filling the water system from completely empty, the combi boiler will pretty much fill without doing a lot, however there will be a bit of airlocked pressure in the top which will become apparent as a hot tap is gently opened....it will hiss and splutter for a bit...as the air clears and more water replaces it...a few seconds and all should be well.
as for using showers....or indeed toilets.....using them for what they are designed for (showering and full usage) will not harm them...thousands of MHers do just that every time they use the van.
we dont have 'wallpaper' in our shower cubicle (why would we, its a shower?) its just plastic lined and easily cleaned.
just use it as intended along with the toilet....might be quite a revalation, opening up other camping opportunities (like lovely small CL sites) away from the formulaic club sites you are used to...plenty of gems out there to discover when you become a shower/toilet user:big thumbs up:
But then you don't have an AS, they seem to line the walls with a waterproof paper, I know as the dealer damaged ours while working on the toilet and was going to strip and re paper, which I refused. The damaged area was covered with a small patch of clear awning repair, which has worked and we have got used to it now.

I agree with you about thousands using the showers with no problem as designed.
----------
Richard

Last edited by rgermain on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : text missing)
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

njr001 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:36 am

Richard, the OP has a coachbuilt Nuevo and you have a Warwick PVC.
obviously, your van has wallpaper in the shower but i didnt know if the coachbuilt models also had it? hence my question.
like (almost) every other van I've been in (other than an AS PVC, obviously) the shower cubicle is a wipe clean plastic...
sometimes, if the ('wooden') washroom door forms part of the cubicle the reverse side (inside) is protected by a plastic covering, or even wallpaper...
my point was that wallpaper is not the material of choice for folk in their showers at home...they are generally formed from plastic and glass.
you say your cubicle walls are lined with waterproof paper and it seems have concerns about how robust it is...
...and if it is delicate and vulnerable to damage, can water then get behind it?
if this is the case, i wonder why AS havent used something more robust like a plastic lining....?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 am

"Obviously" You know more than most!
Sorry for seeming thick.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:07 am

Richard, no one has suggested anyone is thick....or anything else.
 i just happen to pass a large multi brand dealer (or two) on one of my cycle routes and, for a break, spend time browsing the latest designs. i also visit the NEC show when i can and do plenty of other research as well, so have a reasonable knowlege of the market.
i said 'obviously' as you reported the fact re wallpaper..
my sole point was that this seemed to be a less robust shower lining material than (say) plastic which seems to be the choice of most vans ive been in....and thats a lot.
you said to watch out for wallpaper nicks, and damp patches.
this doesnt suggest to me that its a very robust choice for a shower lining.
however, i also realise that a purchaser doesnt have much choice if this is the van they really want, but we use our shower often and this might influence the choice of van depending on its design and materials.
however, as i said, none of this may apply to the OP:smile!:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 am

I just wonder why you come on here not owning and always run Autosleeper vans down?

You "obviously" do not like AS vans.

I find your comments of no use.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:25 am

Bolero boy, since I have a similar vehicle to the OP perhaps I can clarify. The shower walls are covered by a robust vinyl and it has managed to resist all my attempts, during the last six years, to cut, scrape, dent or even bruise the surface. We store all sorts so it probably gets a tougher ride from us that those who shower.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Mort Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:54 am

Hi again. Many thanks for useful responses. As mentioned by Gollum, My shower has the thick hinged white plastic "swing wall" and clear plastic door which close together and cover the shower entrance. Floor and walls also strong white plastic. Another reason for my reluctance to use shower I forgot to mention that a MH dealer years ago warned me to be careful using shower as I'm over 6ft tall and around 15 stone and the floor may crack under my weight!! I have heard of this occurring leading to horrendous probs of damp getting to the van substructure. When I part-exed my old van, this was one of the first things the dealer checked for.
Thanks again
Uncle Mort
Uncle Mort

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:45 pm

Uncle Mort wrote: a MH dealer years ago warned me to be careful using shower as I'm over 6ft tall and around 15 stone and the floor may crack under my weight!!
So am I, and it never has yet in 4 different Nuevos over about 20 years.

Can't say more than that.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Askit wrote:Bolero boy, since I have a similar vehicle to the OP perhaps I can clarify. The shower walls are covered by a robust vinyl and it has managed to resist all my attempts, during the last six years, to cut, scrape, dent or even bruise the surface. We store all sorts so it probably gets a tougher ride from us that those who shower.
thats great, twas all i was interested in...nice to have a reply from someone who can answer objectively.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:43 pm

rgermain wrote:I just wonder why you come on here not owning and always run Autosleeper vans down?

You "obviously" do not like AS vans.

I find your comments of no use.
-----------
Richard
does the Nuevo have wallpaper on its shower walls?....which was the question i asked well upthread and Uncle Mort has just answered.
so, based on his answer, your comments were also of 'no use' smile!
...but, dont worry, its just a forum discussion, nothing too serious.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:02 pm

Before you shower remove the floor plugs from the shower compartment and the loo area. If not, depending on how long a shower you have, the excess water will lap over the shower room door and into the hab area. A towelling bathmat outside the shower room is handy as the shower room is not the biggest for drying yourself in. 

Its worth spending time getting to know your shower controls before you are standing stark naked in it being sprayed with either scalding or freezing water. 

A washing up bowl is handy to stand in as you shower so, when you have finished, you can wash your feet or any still soapy bits with the water it catches. 

Look away if of a delicate disposition but I always take a packet of the cheapest single ply paper serviettes to line the toilet bowl with when we use it for more than liquids. When you flush the whole thing wraps itself neatly in a parcel and falls through the trap leaving the bowl clean. In all the very many years we have done this we have never had clogging problems with the cassette.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Quilter wrote:Look away if of a delicate disposition.
Thanks for the warning. Is this your  equivalent of the “contains flashing images” on TV.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:18 pm

Bobskate wrote:
Thanks for the warning. Is this your  equivalent of the “contains flashing images” on TV.

No need really...we don’t have windows, only a roof light in the loo. Not a good idea to leave the loo door ajar however as it is opposite the hab door. The wardrobe door mirror also reflects an excellent view of whoever is drying themselves in the van when the hab door is opened. 

These little things you learn over the years.....
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 pm

You’ve not mentioned the roof light. At night, at a certain angle, it can act as a mirror for those outside. But who are we to deny.....😄
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:48 pm

Bobskate wrote:You’ve not mentioned the roof light. At night, at a certain angle, it can act as a mirror for those outside. But who are we to deny.....😄

Aaggghhhh ! I do hope you realise that you’ve just forced me to go unshowered for the next fortnight....? 

Thank goodness I over-ordered on baby wipes.

smile!
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 pm

Being moist, the wipes may well stick to the inside of the roof vent long enough to deny any onlookers unforeseen, and, possible unwanted images!!! up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 pm

IanH wrote:Being moist, the wipes may well stick to the inside of the roof vent long enough to deny any onlookers unforeseen, and, possible in wanted images!!! up!

Not a chance Ian. There’s so much dust on our roof vents that nothing would stick to them. The farm where we leave the van has just been harvesting and harrowing and its been very dry.

Sadly I shall just have to do everything in the dark.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 am

Quilter wrote:
Aaggghhhh ! I do hope you realise that you’ve just forced me to go unshowered for the next fortnight....? 

Thank goodness I over-ordered on baby wipes.

smile!
Oh please don’t take on so. I’m sure it will be ok. However, if you are unshowered for two weeks, perhaps you could publish your dates location and pitch. It’s a sort of track and trace in case we may wish to be a bit further away than usual.

😂
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:11 am

Uncle Mort: You have no need of any sort of site, with or without showers, with or without washing up areas, with or without toilets, with or without swings and roundabouts. You have everything you need on board, that is why you bought the motorhome. Fill the tank with water before you leave home and you are good for at least a week, staying in whatever layby or forest glade you fancy as you drift around the countryside. We have just spent 10 days in Wales having a wonderful time, not paying a bean for any site. If you go to Anywhere Abroad you will find that every two horse village has an 'Aire' (France) or 'Stellplatz' (Germany) - Spain, Portugal have them as well. Places specifically designed for motorhomes to stay. If they have electricity hook ups, water taps, toilet disposal points you may have to pay ooh - perhaps as much as €3 for the night, but usually they are free. The reason we don't have these, and I have had it confirmed by my local county council is that in the UK we have a law against "setting up an encampment" which means that white pick up trucks towing 30ft twin wheeled caravans are not allowed to form a circle with a camp fire in the middle and leaving fridges, huge piles of house clearance rubbish, cut down trees and large numbers of empty Calor gas bottles when they leave. The problem is that these people know the law better than the Police and so we end up with height barriers. In Europe they don't have those laws, if there is an 'encampment' the Police are allowed to bring trucks, bulldozers and so on and clear the site.
If you pull into a layby or an out-of-the-way car park and stay for a night or two, don't get out your barbecue and don't set up tall flag poles with flashing lights, you are just parking, you are not setting up an encampment. I can recommend Swansea sea front, Fishguard sea front, various RSPB, English Heritage, National Trust car parks as places to stay and enjoy the locality. As I said at the start, you have everything you need on board. Don't go paying people £25 a night to park, take the missus out for a posh dinner instead.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

bikeralw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next