The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neuvo fridge fuse

+4
marconi
Richard G
Mike187
Askit
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Neuvo fridge fuse Empty Neuvo fridge fuse

Post by Askit Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:45 am

Having a bit of a problem with the Thetford three way fridge. On EHU , it worked normally for a while then flashed that it couldn't work on gas? Now won't let me select either mains or gas. I know I should know, but is there a dedicated fuse for the fridge and can anyone tell me where it might be? All other circuits appear to be working normally.

Thanks

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Neuvo fridge fuse Empty Re: Neuvo fridge fuse

Post by Askit Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:18 pm

Although I would still be grateful for someone pointing me in the right direction for the fridge fuse, events have moved on a bit. I'm managed to get the fridge working on EHU again so the fuse does not seem to be the issue. I am now playing Thetford fridge bingo, codes 11, 10 and 6 so far. Could it be a relay problem or possibly the PCB?

Looks like I'll need to get a techie on to it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:45 pm

You might find this of help (perhaps not). [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks Mike, yes it is of help. Gets a bit bizarre with different codes showing up. It's been going for about 10 hours now without a warning code so we'll see. Technology is great when it's working rolleyes

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Askit wrote: Technology is great when it's working rolleyes

I am told it is, unfortunately I seem to be looking the other way when it happens!shrugg

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:09 pm

I have a diagram showing the fridge connections for fridge from EC50 unit, its interconnected with Split Charge Relay (Lunar Special) via fuse 8. And vehicle Batt output, and Input and Perm Fridge output and switched Fridge Output. If you have EC50 (mine is behind drivers seat) i can send you a copy of drawing if any use!
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:10 pm

Richard G wrote:I have a diagram showing the fridge connections for fridge from EC50 unit, its interconnected with Split Charge Relay (Lunar Special) via fuse 8. And vehicle Batt output, and Input and Perm Fridge output and switched Fridge Output. If you have EC50 (mine is behind drivers seat) i can send you a copy of drawing if any use!

Sorry its meant to read EM 50
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:41 am

Richard, thanks, that's very helpful. I'll check the fuse in case it's a "bad contact" issue. I got the fridge working on EHU yesterday and it was ok until this morning. Common denominator may be other loads on the system eg, kettle or hair dryer (not mine snigger ) initiating the issue.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:12 pm

Ok, guess I may be flogging a dead horse but, further evidence of my theory. Just used the microwave and the fridge flashed a code11 warning so it does appear the be reacting to other loads on the system. Can anyone suggest what the issue might be?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Askit wrote:Ok, guess I may be flogging a dead horse but, further evidence of my theory. Just used the microwave and the fridge flashed a code11 warning so it does appear the be reacting to other loads on the system. Can anyone suggest what the issue might be?

Just a guess is the EHU supply coping. How long before you can get to a different one to prove it.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:29 pm

marconi wrote:
Askit wrote:Ok, guess I may be flogging a dead horse but, further evidence of my theory. Just used the microwave and the fridge flashed a code11 warning so it does appear the be reacting to other loads on the system. Can anyone suggest what the issue might be?

Just a guess is the EHU supply coping. How long before you can get to a different one to prove it.

Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow, we move to Hawes so it will be interesting to see if the problem persists. Must say I'm struggling to understand the logic but I learned a long time ago with system failures, logic is not always applicable.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:58 am

I'd guess a bad contact in either the EHU site electrics or in your own connecting lead. Check tightness of terminal screws in your plug and socket.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:47 am

Mike187 wrote:You might find this of help (perhaps not). [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

Mike
Thanks Mike, I've gained a more understanding of the continuing problem with our Thetford N3000 series fridge freezer that suddenly switched to gas whilst on EHU on recent trip away. Fortunately, sufficient LPG on board for the ten day duration. Display panel showed fault code 8 and back home continued to do so on A/C mains. The Thetford down load clearly gives explanations to this code but I'm useless with electrics despite having a volt meter. Mobile habitation check tomorrow so hopefully a straightforward solution.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:09 am

thetford fridge low voltage errors are common on overseas sites but sometimes where there is a large demand at any site...morning kettle on etc...
whether this applies to 'your van' delivering a low voltage (as opposed to all vans due to overall demand) i couldnt say, but Rons suggestion above might cause what youre seeing.
good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:12 am

It is quite possible that the site power at your bollard was causing the problem.  We experienced this last year, albeit that only the error code 10 displayed, and I reported my findings here ... 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:00 am

Tim, and others, thanks for your replies. The scenario you describe Tim appears to be exactly what's happening here. When the rain stops   shrugg I will check the EHU cable as Ron suggests  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:28 am

We reported a possible voltage drop to the CL site owner who didn't think so, fair enough. The other four units on site had no related problem likely due to not having auto 3 way refrigeration like us. As mentioned, same problem when back home in A/C mains.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:30 pm

Just a quick update. No obvious issues with my EHU cable, on site in Hawes now and the fridge appears to be behaving itself despite using the microwave and kettle. I will continue to monitor though.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:48 pm

Askit wrote:Just a quick update. No obvious issues with my EHU cable, on site in Hawes now and the fridge appears to be behaving itself despite using the microwave and kettle. I will continue to monitor though.
Nice one, you will report back won't you one way or tother.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:02 pm

Well, despite my optimism the fridge is playing up again. It won't work on EHU and is reverting to gas whilst flashing code 8. Did you get to solution Paramedic, seems like a similar issue?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi Askit, our habitation check confirmed that A/C was reaching the back of the fridge freezer. The mobile engineer tested the connections inside the cover plate 240v and 12v. It's been decided that the power board is most likely at fault that requires complete removal of the appliance. Although I have confidence in the repair company local to us, I confess I'm somewhat paranoid as to how it will be removed from surrounding cabinet without causing lasting damage. The mobile guy can carry out such repair to a fridge but a big fridge freezer requires two people to initially remove it. A ceiling price of £350 has been quoted which doesn't appear too expensive given that the power board is about £120 on line. I think the repair also includes new display panel. I will certainly update you on the outcome. Sorry I can't be of more help. Regards.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:19 pm

I'm following this in trepidation .....   My turn next?  Really appreciate the info in the above posts on this thread.

Hope you are able to get it sorted Askit and Paramedic.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:39 pm

Tony, 

We had a Code 8 fault on our Thetford fridge in January and no 230V operation while on EHU. It was caused by an open-circuit AC heating element. I was able to diagnose with some telephone help from Thetford and replace it myself, all via the rear vents. I wrote up the process in the link below.

I know you’ve had previous issues on 230V, reported earlier in this thread, so it may be a poor connection on the 230V heating element. The diagnostic system in the fridge measures the current passing through both heating elements (230V and 12V) and will indicate the appropriate fault code if the current falls below a threshold. That would be the case if the element went open circuit (ie burned out) or if there was a dodgy connection between the element and the power board. 

You’ll need to disconnect the connections of the 230V element at the rear of the power board in order to measure the resistance, so you should be able to see if there's a poor connection (eg signs of cable damage, arcing on spade connectors). Thetford’s troubleshooting guide (referenced in the link) will tell you what resistance value you should see. You’ll need a multimeter of course, also torx heads to remove the power board cover (which exposes the element connectors) and possibly snipe nose pliers to pull off the tight-fitting spade connectors.

If it turns out to be more serious than a failed element, for example a power board failure, then you may be able to replace that via the rear vents rather than have to remove the fridge.  I certainly can on the Kemerton, via the lower vent.

Hope you finally resolve your problem.

Tim

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 pm

Further to Paramedic’s post about replacing the power board, I can confirm that this does include replacing the display module. The spare part kit from Thetford includes the power board and either a LED or LCD display board, depending on fridge model.  

Reading the same post it would seem that the ability to easily replace the electrical heart of a Thetford fridge via the rear vents depends on van model.

Tim

Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:46 pm

Kemerton-bath wrote:Further to Paramedic’s post about replacing the power board, I can confirm that this does include replacing the display module. The spare part kit from Thetford includes the power board and either a LED or LCD display board, depending on fridge model.  

Reading the same post it would seem that the ability to easily replace the electrical heart of a Thetford fridge via the rear vents depends on van model.

Tim
Grateful thanks Kemerton-bath, where I mentioned the mobile engineer removed the 'cover plate under which the 240v and 12v connections were, am I correct in thinking that the respective heating elements to said voltages are situated? I can't be sure that "A/C is getting to back of unit" refers to these elements. I've looked at the Thetford diagram relating to our N3000 model B fridge freezer where there's mention that the failed 240v element may also give the fault code 8 as well as the power board. A previous post highlighted poor fuse connection in the EM40 interface with fuses relating to fridge, v battery, radio and other system. Also interesting where you refer to the rear vents to gain access to the electrical heart of the Thetford fridge of course depending on van model. Apologies as I seem to be rambling on looking for alternatives to a faulty power board that doesn't require complete removal from surrounding cabinet. I must put faith the the repair company so I'll shut up for now. Again I will report outcome.  happyyes

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next