The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AutoSleeper fit re-fillable tank?

+10
Toffee
Gromit
inspiredron
modelman
Eltel
Dbvwt
Peter Brown
Molly3
Paulmold
Bollard
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AutoSleeper fit re-fillable tank? Empty AutoSleeper fit re-fillable tank?

Post by Bollard Mon May 04, 2020 1:55 am

It seems both in magazines (MMM) and on this forum LPG seems on the decline. Having bought an AutoSleeper Symbol Plus last year with re-fillable UNDERSLUNG gas tank I wonder why AutoSleeper continue to produce vehicles with the underslung tank? I must admit it is great not having to carry heavy gas bottles around but a bit of a worry if LPG underslung tanks can’t be filled! Secondly what are my options as space is obviously limited to try and accommodate gas bottles should the decline in outlets continue? Comments please.
Bollard
Bollard

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

AutoSleeper fit re-fillable tank? Empty Re: AutoSleeper fit re-fillable tank?

Post by Paulmold Mon May 04, 2020 2:16 am

Hopefully we are a long way from LPG being unobtainable. There are still in excess of 1000 filling stations with LPG. If you don't already , use filllpg app or website for locations. Another app is mylpg . Don't bother with autogas website as that has far fewer locations listed.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon May 04, 2020 3:18 am

Have to agree with bollard ,LPG is for engines and is disappearing from garage forecourts ,i know of people that have sold LPG vehicle's because they have to travel too far for a fill up . auto sleeper will have to address the situation some time .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon May 04, 2020 3:39 am

I guess that AS are under the impression that Gas manufacturer depots and rural suppliers will be able to meet the demand - but of course you will have to travel a lot further to get the gas. It will need dealers to say that people won't by motorhomes with refillable tanks for AS to change design as omitting the gas locker leaves a lot more useable space for the owner.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon May 04, 2020 3:47 am

It does seem to vary a lot by location. Looking at the Filllpg app, I have 25 filling locations within 25 miles (11 within 15 miles) , looking at Brighton (where Bollard is located) there are only 4 within 25 miles. Planning journey routes is required and filling whenever you see lpg.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Mon May 04, 2020 4:18 am

It will be interesting to see the situation after all this has eventually sorted  itself out.
I get my gas from 2 local independent suppliers, whether they will actually still be here I’ve no idea.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Mon May 04, 2020 9:54 pm

We tend to use the Calor Gas local depot for refills and as others have said if we see a LPG outlet we tend to do a top up.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon May 04, 2020 10:14 pm

I fitted a complete Gasit system to my last Autosleeper, & it was great, worked a treat, unlike some others, my gauge was accurate!!
 Then all the fill-stations near me stopped selling it, so although i'm doing many 'mods' to my latest van, I'm sticking to a couple of Calor lites in the locker!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 05, 2020 5:01 am

if youve got room for two bottles why not have the best of both worlds..
my locker is probably bigger than yours butnthe principle is the same.....i have a Gaslow 11kg refillable and space for another large bottle...which could be another Gaslow but ive chosen to carry a large Repsol for our long Spanish winter trips...but, again, this could be Calor if i toured the UK (not sure i could stomach the Calor prices though.
Gaslow do a small refillable (3.9 kg?) so could fit a small locker and if you can carry two then a small Calor would be a good mix and match.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue May 05, 2020 6:00 am

bolero boy wrote:if youve got room for two bottles why not have the best of both worlds..
my locker is probably bigger than yours butnthe principle is the same.....i have a Gaslow 11kg refillable and space for another large bottle...which could be another Gaslow but ive chosen to carry a large Repsol for our long Spanish winter trips...but, again, this could be Calor if i toured the UK (not sure i could stomach the Calor prices though.
Gaslow do a small refillable (3.9 kg?) so could fit a small locker and if you can carry two then a small Calor would be a good mix and match.
The OP told us he has a 2019 van that has an underslung tank. Where can be safely put bottles without radical redesign? 
I was on the brink of buying a refillable cylinder when the Shell garages opted out if gas.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue May 05, 2020 8:10 am

inspiredron wrote:
bolero boy wrote:if youve got room for two bottles why not have the best of both worlds..
The OP told us he has a 2019 van that has an underslung tank. Where can be safely put bottles without radical redesign? 
I was on the brink of buying a refillable cylinder when the Shell garages opted out if gas.
Spot on Ron.

That's what will make it so difficult for anyone to convert back to bottles.

Making a gas drop-out hole would be easy enough, as would constructing a gas tight enclosure. Biggest problem would be installing an external access door.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Bollard Tue May 05, 2020 8:33 am

Just not viable I am afraid. Cupboard space is already at a premium! Maybe have to think about looking at the Adria Twin!!
Bollard
Bollard

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 05, 2020 7:08 pm

inspiredron wrote:
Ron, i was actually replying to modelman, immediately above my post....who has two calors.
sorry, i should have quoted his post. sorry formthe confusion.
re: the OP, yes it is a pain....owners can install underslung tanks and do away with a locker but moving back the other way and creating a locker from nothing is difficult.
im lucky in that we have a couple of lpg stations on my route east/south (towards ferries) a d im a member of Countrywide which still have quite a few stations around, also we tour extensively abroad where LPG access isnt currently an issue.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Bollard wrote:Just not viable I am afraid. Cupboard space is already at a premium! Maybe have to think about looking at the Adria Twin!!
would certainly be nr the top of my list of PVCs...a different layout to the Symbol Plus, for sure, but offers different benefits, too....incl a large gas locker!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Wed May 06, 2020 1:19 am

Wouldn’t it have been great if all Motorhome and caravan manufacturers had opted for the underslung tank on their products and campsites had invested in the filling equipment.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed May 06, 2020 1:21 am

Well, they all have huge LPG tanks on the premises, so the installation costs would be much reduced - one presumes!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed May 06, 2020 2:00 am

Toffee wrote:Wouldn’t it have been great if all Motorhome and caravan manufacturers had opted for the underslung tank on their products and campsites had invested in the filling equipment.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bollard Wed May 06, 2020 3:08 am

That would be great Paul,old. Thank you for your reply!
Bollard
Bollard

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Fri May 08, 2020 10:17 am

When I bought my 2015 Nuevo I thought that the onboard gas tank a big benefit over my 2009 Nuevo with cylinders but not finding it so, inaccurate guage and not many gas on pumps, and actually don't think I have gained any storage space.
At least with cylinders one can carry a spare, I don't know when mine will run out.
Probably middle of a shower!
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Bollard Fri May 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Hindsight Richard if only. At least you have your van Richard, mine is in for its ninth time for water leaks AND LOCKED IN AT MARQUIS for the last 6 weeks and the foreseeable future!
Bollard
Bollard

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie D Sat May 09, 2020 7:45 pm

Can you still buy bottled gas readily? It used to be sold on the garage forecourt but can’t say I’ve noticed them for a while. Is bottled gas on the demise too?
Jamie D
Jamie D

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo LT
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Bollard Sat May 09, 2020 10:11 pm

Bottled gas seems ok but extremely expensive!
Bollard
Bollard

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry M Sat May 09, 2020 10:44 pm

I agree with Bollard as I recently had a published letter in MMM (April 2020 - 'Demise of LPG?') and notice there is also another letter in the June edition from Ian Ruck on the same subject. I live in West Sussex and the number of garages around the county stocking LPG has declined dramatically in the past year or two. I am concerned about this situation and wonder about the solution should this decline continue.

I wonder that manufacturers, of motor-caravans, under-slung tanks and refillable bottle options, have their heads in the sand on this issue and should they should be more proactive in alleviating this downward pattern and help find solutions to ensure the continuation of a widespread refillable LPG supply.

However, thankfully, others are out there trying to help and I praise and recommend the efforts of those who produce and maintain the apps - myLPG.eu and FillLPG who I have experienced to be of great help.

Terry
Terry M
Terry M

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed May 20, 2020 2:43 am

If you think Calor gas is expensive..................
My Harmony arrived with Campingaz cylinder fitted, not such a bad idea as its readily available on the continent.
There is also room for 2 bottles.
The bottle is a 907 size holding 2.72Kg of gas. Went to have it refilled, empty of course, was quoted £37, and have seen none below £30!! Lets be kind and say £30 for 2.72Kg that's £11.03 per Kg, so if the same a 6Kg normal propane cylinder would be £66 to fill! I actually asked them if they filled it with liquid gold!!
Needless to say it has a 6Kg propane in it now. The big advantage of a refillable tank is you don't have to wait until its empty to top it up.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 20, 2020 3:08 am

"The big advantage of a refillable tank is you don't have to wait until its empty to top it up."

....and another might be that )last time i looked) it was less than 60p a litre round here...with the drop in petrol/gas prices it could be 50 a litre now...roughly £1 per kg, so a tenth of the cost of Campingaz!!

AND....you can fill up when its convenient.

PS...i mentioned upthread that i am a member of Countrywide (Farmers) and they have a small network of LPG pumps....i know they dont operate everywhere but it might help some members out
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next