The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angry WASPS , anyone else having problems?

+9
Dave 418
AndyRoyd
Askit
Quilter
harrysp
bikeralw
Gromit
Slaphead
burlingtonboaby
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Angry WASPS , anyone else having problems? Empty Angry WASPS , anyone else having problems?

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:21 am

Not a lot of them about this year, however there very angry. Received a sting on the back of the neck when returning from walking Tag, (around dawn much cooler) 
Had to sit with an ice pack on the neck sting area for awhile to take the heat from it, the wife removed the stinger.
Thank heavens the midges don't sting/ bite like it.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Angry WASPS , anyone else having problems? Empty Re: Angry WASPS , anyone else having problems?

Post by Slaphead Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:39 am

Ouch!  I got stung on the sole of my foot while sitting shoeless on a chair.

I had to do to the doctor the next day as I was still in agony.  Hate them.

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Angry WASPS , anyone else having problems? Empty Re: Angry WASPS , anyone else having problems?

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 am

Hi Dave
How's the heat in Fife ?, mind in the back garden in Saline how hot it used to get, it's 31 out the back .
Not had a sting in the foot before. Bet it was sore, at least you can dook you foot in cold water.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:23 am

burlingtonboaby wrote:Not a lot of them about this year, however there very angry. Received a sting on the back of the neck when returning from walking Tag, (around dawn much cooler) 
Had to sit with an ice pack on the neck sting area for awhile to take the heat from it, the wife removed the stinger.
Thank heavens the midges don't sting/ bite like it.
Boaby
Hi Boaby

If your wife removed the stinger, it wasn't a wasp - it was a bee. Wasps don't leave their stingers.

I hope your wife knew how to remove the stinger. I'm not being funny, but a lot of people just grip it between finger and thumb and remove it, which is the worst thing they could do!! The poison sac remains on the end of the stinger, and removing it this way ensures that every last drop of poison goes into your neck, or wherever. (You can often see the poison sac still pulsating as the stinger sits in your flesh.)

The stinger should be scraped off with the blade of a knife, or with a long finger nail, to avoid squeezing the poison sac.

"After bite"  >> SEE HERE < works well, and is very convenient for a pocket or handbag. An application as soon as possible, and maybe a couple more at intervals afterwards will take most of the pain away, and will reduce the inflammation and itching afterwards. It's nothing magical, just a strongish ammonia solution in a handy applicator.

Hope this helps

Dave

(Ex bee keeper who developed a serious allergy. Would have had to carry an EpiPen for the rest of my life if I carried on keeping.)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 am

My wife is a VERY angry WASP! Robbed of almost 5 years of her state pension..
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:59 pm

bikeralw wrote:My wife is a VERY angry WASP! Robbed of almost 5 years of her state pension..
Al.
I’m in the same boat, (Mrs Harrysp). Wonder will the outcome of the judicial review help. Doubtful though, government seldom back down.  Sorry, it’s not about wasps!

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:19 pm

Something we carry in the van and is very effective, is an Aspivenin vacuum sting remover. It’s like a syringe with a suction cup where the needle is usually. Put the suction cup over the bite as soon as possible and suck it out with the syringe. There are other cheaper ones available now which I guess are just as effective.

To neutralise the sting use vinegar for wasp stings and bicarbonate of soda ( damped) for bees.

We’ve hardly seen any wasps at all this year despite having lots of ripening fruit in the garden. No mosquitos either- which the Aspivenin is equally good for ( and snake  or spider bites)
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Angry wasps, you mean there’s another kind Whistle1

We’ve see a few but not many, what we have seen is an influx of flying ants. Not dangerous but annoying. Only up to 30c here just now, hot enough to melt the tarmac (if we had stuff like that up here hugegrins )

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:56 pm

Thanks Gromit (Dave), wife said it was a Bee sting (ex St Andrews) and she successfully removed the lot, although it didn't come up straight away, when it did ,it hurt.
We have plenty of bees and wasps,it's the wasps that are on your face .she was right,I was wrong (again)
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Quilter wrote:Something we carry in the van and is very effective, is an Aspivenin vacuum sting remover. It’s like a syringe with a suction cup where the needle is usually. Put the suction cup over the bite as soon as possible and suck it out with the syringe. There are other cheaper ones available now which I guess are just as effective.

To neutralise the sting use vinegar for wasp stings and bicarbonate of soda ( damped) for bees.

We’ve hardly seen any wasps at all this year despite having lots of ripening fruit in the garden. No mosquitos either- which the Aspivenin is equally good for ( and snake  or spider bites)
Hi Quilter.
Wife has a  Aspivenin  sting remover, i was crash test dummy when she first appeared with it, handy for cleg bites, 
Numbers are down this year,however the ones that are about are angry wee sods.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyRoyd Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Early this week I noticed several small dead wasps in the back (guest) bedroom, the only way in would be through the air vent which is quite large about a foot square.
Stuck my head out of the window and sure enough they are nesting in the vent, stuck plenty of gaffer tape on the inside to stop them coming through, don't fancy their chances though as the room is south facing and with temps. in the 30's this week they will have probably died of heat exhaustion.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:44 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Thanks Gromit (Dave), wife said it was a Bee sting (ex St Andrews) and she successfully removed the lot, although it didn't come up straight away, when it did ,it hurt.
We have plenty of bees and wasps,it's the wasps that are on your face .she was right,I was wrong (again)
Boaby

Ah, so the Wasp was a Bee...........aye, I've called them that as well  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:37 pm

Askit wrote:
burlingtonboaby wrote:Thanks Gromit (Dave), wife said it was a Bee sting (ex St Andrews) and she successfully removed the lot, although it didn't come up straight away, when it did ,it hurt.
Boaby

Ah, so the Wasp was a Bee...........aye, I've called them that as well  hugegrins
The first Bee sting I received Tony, was up the arm , in my flying suit whilst patrolling the British sector from the air in West Berlin, we flew with the doors off due to the heat (Sioux) .
The pain was hellish and my arm went up like a ballon, fortunately we had a wee landing spot near the BMH .the reason I thought it was only a wasp sting as this sting was nothing like the Berlin Bee sting.
Sorry to bore you with my wee story, aye they are wee barstewards .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:29 pm

Never had a Bee sting but the wasps have got me 3 times (so far twiddle_thumbs )

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Three years ago we came back from a long trip away to find the garage ankle deep in dead wasps and many still flying. We are still finding occasional dead ones in there. Response from the local council pest controllers : “ we don’t do wasps”.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:52 pm

I have had my share of biting beasties. During a junior school cricket match I was sent find the ball in a hedge bottom. My mate swinging a stick to clear the brambles knocked a wasp nest out of a tree on to my head. I was off school for a long time due to the amount of stings.
Stationed in Germany there were Clegy flies on the training areas. They were a big grey horse flies. My mate was stung on the bridge of his nose. He couldn't see properly for a couple of days not a good idea driving a recovery tank.
Our daughter was bitten on the backside by a mossie in Australia. Her party trick was showing people her Ausie bite. Not a good idea in public no matter how small she was. I hope she doesn't do that now, she is twenty eight now. lol4
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:54 pm

I have had my share of biting beasties. During a junior school cricket match I was sent find the ball in a hedge bottom. My mate swinging a stick to clear the brambles knocked a wasp nest out of a tree on to my head. I was off school for a long time due to the amount of stings.
Stationed in Germany there were Clegy flies on the training areas. They were a big grey horse flies. My mate was stung on the bridge of his nose. He couldn't see properly for a couple of days not a good idea driving a recovery tank.
Our daughter was bitten on the backside by a mossie in Australia. Her party trick was showing people her Ausie bite. Not a good idea in public no matter how small she was. I hope she doesn't do that now, she is twenty eight now. lol4
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Our window cleaner pointed out that we had a wasp nest entrance right in the top corner of our open porch. So the other evening I donned anorak and garden gloves and tried to puff wasp killing powder into the hole. We now have a big white patch about 6ins below the hole but virtually none went in the hole. Trouble is you really need to have the 'puffer' at least part way vertical to have powder at the nozzle ready to 'shoot'. But reaching from below, with the wasp nest hole at ceiling height it's impossible to get a vertical angle. Do you think the little devils knew that when they selected the site. May have to call out the local guy who has the appropriate equipment to deliver the powder from a safe distance.

When we moved in here 10 years ago I found an abandoned wasp nest in the loft. Beautifully built, it was the shape and size of a football.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:49 pm

shrugg I think my I pad has got issues with this heat or its something I did . Sorry about the double entry. Whistle1
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:10 pm

I got stung by three of the blighters a couple of weeks ago.
I've been stacking turf to create a new bank and all was well for a while.
The next time I stacked some OK but had some loose soil in the barrow. I tipped it at the end of the bank, walked away and then received three stings as they chased me away.
They weren't there days before, as I'd pulled some nettles from that patch.
Damn painful for three or four days, with swollen calf.
Thankfully, I didn't need to attend A&E this time; last time I got a sever rash and my breathing and voice was affected.
Strong steroid tablets for a week did the trick.

I've blasted this last lot with some foam spray but haven't checked to see if I've succeeded  in killing them off.
If not, my project will have to wait until late autumn.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:54 am

Hope your stings have settled down now NB and the swelling has gone.
My neck is still tingling now and then, of for a wee nap.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Beetee Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:51 am

Years and years ago, when at a Guide camp, I was stung on the tongue by a wasp which must have been on the piece of cake that I was eating.   I was rushed off to the QM tent and had to suck onion for the next hour - no swelling at all.
Beetee
Beetee

Female

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo (Lancashire)
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:39 pm

Someone knows their onions .     hugegrins
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 pm

We had one in a hole under the eaves near our bedroom window.  I rigged up a long vacuum cleaner tube terminating just adjacent to the entrance so that every time one tried to leave or return to the nest, it got sucked in.  After about 45 minutes the frequency had reduced enough for us to be able to spray stuff into the hole without getting stung, then we blocked the hole and any nearby gaps with filler. Seems to have done the trick.  fingersx

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:01 pm

I bet you were a bit wary emptying the vacuum cleaner bag though.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next