The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar panel and leisure battery charging

2 posters

Go down

Solar panel and leisure battery charging Empty Solar panel and leisure battery charging

Post by Caron Tucker Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:07 am

A 2 year old battery,  is flat totally.
I have a 100wat solar panel fitted.
At present drivers seat is out and battery is on charge.
It is charging slowly on the charger,  but did not hold the charge when the van was plugged in.
Any ideas as to why this battery has lost it's charge.
I would like to go to some THS  music festivals.
Caron Tucker
Caron Tucker

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Solar panel and leisure battery charging Empty Re: Solar panel and leisure battery charging

Post by Roopert Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:07 pm

Have you checked the fuse between the leisure battery and the rest of the system?

Typically they can recover some of their capacity, but if it has spent any length of time (i.e. days rather than hours) heavily depleted or flat then it will probably need replacing.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Solar panel and leisure battery charging Empty Re: Solar panel and leisure battery charging

Post by Caron Tucker Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:21 pm

Thank you yes checked the fuses.
I am going to get a new battery, It shouldn't of gone flat as there was a solar panel fitted before this battery was fitted.
The big problem is having to take the drivers seat out to get to the leisure battery.
Caron Tucker
Caron Tucker

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Once you have a new, recently charged battery fitted, test each of the 3 charging mechanisms.

E.g. Cover the solar panel, put a voltmeter on the leisure battery terminals (if one not already fitted within the control panel) - voltage should be 12.6-12.8V. Uncover the panel (in sunlight, of course) and check that the battery voltage rises to at least 13.8V. Do the same for the other 2 charging mechanisms.

That way you know that the battery is actually being charged!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down