The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camping table...aaaaaaaaaa

+7
Paulmold
Doris
Suppersready
goll
Askit
Gromit
bristol170kj
11 posters

Go down

Camping table...aaaaaaaaaa Empty Camping table...aaaaaaaaaa

Post by bristol170kj Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Anyone else nearly severed their finger setting up the table that arrives with motorhomes and I guess caravans.  We have had one of these types that come with the autosleeper and have been aware of the fingertrap for at least 10 years.  But this week after getting the chairs out then the table I flickered the levers thinking my fingers were clear (I usually turn them upside down to set up).   When the leg unfolds under gravity and crushes ones finger boy does it hurt.  And how fingers can bleed.  Finger now bandaged and trying to keep it dry it the shower.  Grrrrrrru

Correct spelling of bleed.
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Camping table...aaaaaaaaaa Empty Re: Camping table...aaaaaaaaaa

Post by Gromit Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 pm

Have a look at the Fiamma tripod version.

It may be of no interest, and it isn't cheap, but it's totally non aggressive and being a tripod there are no stability problems on uneven ground.

You need all these bits below except the floor socket, but for some reason it's difficult to find them sold as a set.

All the parts you need are listed  >> HERE <<  under the title, "Frequently bought together" for £70.71. Not cheap as I said, but it depends how much use it would get - and how much you value your digits. We use ours inside the van as well b.t.w.   

We've been pleased with ours for some years, and we got a second hand table top from our dealer for a tenner toward the tea and biscuit fund.

Camping table...aaaaaaaaaa 31rGuMWC7BL._SX450_
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks , yess intend looking for something less agressive when we're back in the UK.

Gromit wrote:Have a look at the Fiamma tripod version.

It may be of no interest, and it isn't cheap, but it's totally non aggressive and being a tripod there are no stability problems on uneven ground.

You need all these bits below except the floor socket, but for some reason it's difficult to find them sold as a set.

All the parts you need are listed  >> HERE <<  under the title, "Frequently bought together" for £70.71. Not cheap as I said, but it depends how much use it would get - and how much you value your digits. We use ours inside the van as well b.t.w.   

Thanks, yes intend to look for something less agressive when we get back to the UK.  Just watched a Norwegian guy get out all his stuff and he had a collapsing table with four adjustable legs.  Looked quite stable too.

We've been pleased with ours for some years, and we got a second hand table top from our dealer for a tenner toward the tea and biscuit fund.

Camping table...aaaaaaaaaa 31rGuMWC7BL._SX450_
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 pm

I never use my fingers, only ever use my feet to flick the catch agree3

Apparently I don't really need five toes on each foot anyway lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Askit wrote:I never use my fingers, only ever use my feet to flick the catch agree3

Apparently I don't really need five toes on each foot anyway lol4
There is one advantage to loosing ones digit.  Ones wife needs to do all the washng up. Only i still have to do the toilet cassette allthumbz allthumbz
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:12 pm

bristol170kj wrote:There is one advantage to loosing ones digit.  Ones wife needs to do all the washng up. Only i still have to do the toilet cassette allthumbz allthumbz
How much would you have to lose to get out of that particular chore?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:55 am

HairyFool wrote:
bristol170kj wrote:There is one advantage to loosing ones digit.  Ones wife needs to do all the washng up. Only i still have to do the toilet cassette allthumbz allthumbz
How much would you have to lose to get out of that particular chore?

Probably the whole arm!
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goll Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:18 am

I have an unused Fiamma tripod ( no leg) if anyone is interested make me an offer.

Live in West sussex
goll
goll

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:56 pm

I am new to the joys of motor homing... on my first outing I decided to set up the table in our Corinium for a spot of lunch with the misses. Held table top right way up and used fingers to hold leg retainers in ... Legs dropped and yup ..., one finger caught. Cut through the nail of my middle finger and if not for me instantly lowering the table to stop the legs dropping further I'm convinced the end of said digit would have been on the floor.
I really feel that its something AS should make all new owners aware of at hand over. And perhaps a removable warning sticker on the table top.

Niall.
Suppersready
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:46 am

If you look at this topic you will find my solution. I have also put holes through the wood so I can peg it down if the ground is uneven.
https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t15532-table
Doris
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:56 am

Surely we are confusing two different types of table in this thread. On the pole tables there is no lever to drop the legs so how can you get fingers caught. With the freestanding table which has two fold-down legs (which is the type I have) I have the table with legs on top while I unfold them and then turn table over. No way then to trap fingers.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Paul, Thats exactly how I do it now ... but I learnt the hard way !!. I wonder how many others have had the same misfortune.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:02 pm

It's still possible to injure oneself with the set-up consisting of a tripod + tubular leg + table top.

Last week I'd set up the table outside. My wife went to move it and lifted it by the table top; the leg lifted out of the tripod but remained (momentarily) fixed under the top. And then the metal leg fell out of the top's socket on to my wife's foot, cutting it in the process.

Just remember this cautionary tale!
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by StanRVan Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:37 pm

I had a near miss with the small table in our 2016 Symbol. The table with one tube leg. I removed the table top then tried to remove the tube leg which was stuck. When it suddenly released it hit me hard under the chin as I was bent over it pulling hard. Had a spectacular bruise, but a little higher and I would have hit my teeth!  all confused
StanRVan

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:14 pm

There’s a bit of a theme developing here, camping tables are obviously dangerous items  think_smiley_46

We carry one of the small, lightweight tables with fold up aluminium legs that are sold in just about every camping shop. My wife was folding it up when it slipped from her grasp and the aluminium edge caught her shin, leaving her with a painful, nasty graze (although I’m not sure what a not nasty graze looks like  shrugg). 

I’m now in charge of doing the table leg folding, anyone know where I can get cheap shin pads   snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:03 pm

I agree, they are a nasty old design that is capable of serious injury - but they are cheap!

I got fed up trying to use the tables described, outside. Never stable, never level. The last three outfits we had with this sort of table (including our new Stanton), the table went straight up in the loft unused.

I bought a lightweight folding table that has four independently adjustable sliding legs. Near same size as OEM table so it fits in the wardrobe.

Inside we use the boom arm table with small top, but had to move the leg brackets to actually make it useable.

Still have all my fingers after nearly 50 years in Engineering, but those tables nearly spoiled that record.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:06 am

Goodness, you're all so accident prone !  

Never had a trapped finger in many years of folding that type of table away, however I was kneeling down one day in my previous van with said table standing on end and as I released the leg catch, gravity did what it does best and the table top made a resounding bang as it hit me on the head.

The noise of two hollow things making sudden contact had my wife and stepdaughters in stitches snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:21 am

As long as it wasn’t you that was in stitches  snigger

Donator
Donator