The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anyone weighed their Corinium?

+9
PLOUGHLIN
naki585
Cymro
harrysp
AndyRoyd
Peter Brown
Paulmold
BarryP
Libraryman2
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

anyone weighed their Corinium? - Page 2 Empty Re: anyone weighed their Corinium?

Post by Libraryman2 Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:02 pm

BarryP wrote:Whilst I have expressed my views, it is interesting that despite the OP title, there has been no response from anyone who has actually weighed their Corinium. Indeed, from anyone who has weighed anything other than themselves! BoleroBoy is right to seek wider views but disappointingly, only Ray and myself seem to have taken any interest. Looks like BB is attacking the proverbial brick wall. Says it all maybe??

I’m not sure that the number of Corinium models is that high yet, I think the Nuevo models are probably the most popular on this forum followed by the Broadway models (just my personal observation)
I also feel that members are quite experienced in the use of their vehicle and have a good measure of loading sense!

So perhaps the use of a weigh Bridge is not that common! I don’t know of course but it is just the way I see things.

It’s still an interesting thread based on a valid point of view, perhaps the question would b3 better raised on the Facebook group.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

anyone weighed their Corinium? - Page 2 Empty Re: anyone weighed their Corinium?

Post by harrysp Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:21 pm

We have weighed our Broadway, and also our previous van at council weighbridge. Both were ok with plenty of capacity for wine from France. When we started motorhomeing, nearly 20 years ago weight was not an issue, but today it is discussed widely and most owners we know have been weighed and are aware of limits etc.

OH follows a motor sport where the cars are regularly weighed by four portable pads and these are completely accurate. I presume SV Tech will use something similar.

Harry

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

anyone weighed their Corinium? - Page 2 Empty Importance of weight per axle

Post by Cymro Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:09 pm

For those of us with other AutoSleepers models, this thread has nevertheless been interesting. It caused me to look again at the recorded values which I had when from a weighbridge when the van was in full holiday trim (including bikes on the rear rack).

I recalled that I was well within limit.  Overall, that was correct [3,400kg, compared with the limit of 3,500).

But looking again at the separate axle weights compared with the limits shown on the Peugeot doorplate, I see that - as the van was then loaded - I was running close on the rear axle. [Front was 1,440kg compared with plated limit of 1,850; but rear was 1,960kg compared with 2,000kg - a margin of only 40kg].

These days I make sure that I put some heavy stuff up front, even some in the luton. In turn that has an impact on tyre pressures, which are calculated according to the axle weights.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by naki585 Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi.

Interesting thread.

We have a 2015 Burford on a MB chassis.

The MTPLM ex factory is 3880kg and the MIRO is 3453kg leaving a payload of 427kg

The axle weights are front 1800kg and rear 2400kg giving a total of 4200kg.

Why the the difference between MTPLM and total axle loading? Is this a safety margin?

Cheers
naki585

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Burford

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:24 pm

Depends how/where you load it. Too much too the front = overload to front axle, too much to rear = overload of rear axle (most likely). So you can be within your MTPLM but have one but not both axles overloaded.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisP28 Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 am

Hi All
We have a Corinium RB the 4 Tonne version and it certainly has plenty of space for the two of us. One thing that saves some weight is it is only fitted with 2 travelling seats with seat belts. I have a full HGV and my wife is of a vintage where her licence covers the weight of the van.
I only have experience of roadside stops from when I drove commercially both rigid and articulated lorries. I only got stopped a couple of times and each time it was on a fixed weighbridge which only measured the total weight of the vehicle not the individual axle weight. I've no doubt that new weigh pads can doe individual axle weights but I've never seen RV in the queue for weight checks. I wonder what the actual risk of being checked is. If you are in the queue, my advice is dump the fresh water quick they can only nick you for the weight on the bridge, they cant add in the puddle you left down the road. Happy touring to you all.  up!
CP
ChrisP28
ChrisP28

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:24 am

To be fair Chris, that not strictly true...they can determine that if you are very close to limits without water, then you will be overweight with it and therefore ask you to lower your weight to a “safe level” that gives an allowance of taking on water...
However like you with a 4 tonne ver, I doubt very much if we should concern ourselves, your point about the unlikelihood of a motorhome being stopped has been a common thread.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:54 am

Don't be too complacent about not being pulled over. I've been pulled over in my car , along with every other vehicle on the road at the time. The weighbridge on the A55 at Ewloe is a frequently used one for lorries (usual suspects being ones that have come over via Holyhead) but at the end of their lorry session they have been known to wave in every vehicle, be that car, white van man or minibus to check emissions and with the weighbridge right there, you never know!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:15 am

Paulmold wrote:Don't be too complacent about not being pulled over. I've been pulled over in my car , along with every other vehicle on the road at the time. The weighbridge on the A55 at Ewloe is a frequently used one for lorries (usual suspects being ones that have come over via Holyhead) but at the end of their lorry session they have been known to wave in every vehicle, be that car, white van man or minibus to check emissions and with the weighbridge right there, you never know!

True I’m sure Paul, however I’m just trying to put it into context, whilst the obvious risk is there, it is nevertheless relatively low smile!

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:50 pm

its very easy to weigh the axle weights on a normal weighbridge....
pull front wheels onto weighbridge.....get weight (F)
drive fully onto weighbridge get total weight (T)
do some easy subtraction.....
rear axle (R) = (T) - (F)
dont be too complacent about being stopped nor thinking that a 4t chassis (with a 2400kg limit) 'cant' be overloaded....it surely can.
go carefully out there, weight the van 'just to be sure' (Ellen Ripley, Aliens)up!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:29 pm

its very easy to weigh the axle weights on a normal weighbridge....
pull front wheels onto weighbridge.....get weight (F)
drive fully onto weighbridge get total weight (T)
do some easy subtraction.....
rear axle (R) = (T) - (F)

that only works if the weigh bridge is on a level with the ground, I tried it on a weigh bridge which was up a ramp and got some very strange numbers!
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:56 pm

yes, Ray, that is a valid point, any axle 'up in the air slightly' will weigh fractionally less than when its on the level....
but i really cant imagine that this would be sufficient to cause anything very strange...
what might be strange is that you couldnt believe how well loaded your van was, lol!smile!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:26 am

but i really cant imagine that this would be sufficient to cause anything very strange...

although my '4 wheel' all up weight was what I expected the front weight was significantly down maybe 100kg down  this worried the life out of me because that implied that my rear was well  over the maximum - it is normally pretty close but it has never been over.

I should say however that the ramp to the weighbridge was quite steep - the platform was maybe 2 feet off the ground and the tilt was very noticeable
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:13 am

raymondo wrote:

although my '4 wheel' all up weight was what I expected the front weight was significantly down maybe 100kg down  this worried the life out of me because that implied that my rear was well  over the maximum - it is normally pretty close but it has never been over.

I should say however that the ramp to the weighbridge was quite steep - the platform was maybe 2 feet off the ground and the tilt was very noticeable
the only suggestion i can make is to weigh it again either somewhere else, or go back to the same place but this tome put your rear wheels only onto the plate.
if they are over (or close to max) when we think they should weigh 'a little' under, you have a problem.
if you have 100kg to spare....probably no prob.
my gut instinct would be to find somewhere else, load the van fully, you, OH, water, all the kit for your tour and weigh it once more somewhere else.
good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:30 am

An interesting, but relevant aside to the issue about manufacturers taking responsibility for the confusion . . . .

When we ordered our present van I discovered that I could have either a 3,300kg chassis or a 3,500 version. (Whether there is any physical difference I don't know - probably they are just "plated" differently, presumably by Peugeot rather than A/S?)

Knowing that we intended to tow a small car on occasions, and would therefore need to account for the weight of a towbar, I asked for the 3,500kg chassis with the 150bhp engine option, rather than the 130bhp model. The best combination, it seemed to me.
I was surprised (nay, amazed!) to learn that the "heavier" chassis only came with the less powerful engine. Daft, or what!!!  scratch head  

In the event I opted for the 150bhp engine with the 3,300kg chassis and had it uprated to 3,500kg by SVTech. This was clearly stated as a request on the order form, to which A/S agreed, but when it was delivered the chassis was rated at 3,300kg!!!  shrugg

To be fair to A/S they were very good about it, and (via our dealer) they paid for it to be uprated.

It doesn't make it easy for the novice motorhomer who has yet to acquire both awareness and understanding!!  rolleyes
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:41 pm

bolero boy wrote:
so, come on all you Corinium owners out there (light and heavy), ive guessed youve all weighed your vans (as we all do) so what were the results?

Weighed today .... Corinium FB 4000kg heavy chassis

Only me in the van
Half water
Full diesel
Full gas
2 additional hab batteries under front lounge seats.
3 additional solar panels on the roof.

No bike carrier etc.

I would not say that I am full of personal gear at all. I have space to spare in all overhead lockers, wardrobe is probably 1/3rd full and the under bed storage about half ( levellers, fishing net, emergency tools, chair, wind break, boots ).
The only unusual thing is the shower is being used to store my fishing tackle, two bags and three rods so not really a lot probably 15kg in total.

Weighed at Westons ( cider ) Much Marcle, Ledbury.

Front axle - 1480kg
Rea axle  -  2260kg
Total.       - 3780kg

Glad I didn’t buy the 3500kg Chassis that was in stock like the salesman was telling me would be fine !

Niall.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2